This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Oh Weezie, I love kit

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
They are very precious to me,
with being the color I lost,
and then having the hub weed wack them
so many times, I am grateful I have any...
*I don't have alot, they aren't as prolific
as the dark purple for some reason.*

I got some more columbines from Tina/Jonni13,
and Bill's "Cedar Hill" one's too, so I am very excited to see them grow..
Columbines' are on my top 10 list of fav's and can really be grown in full sun and shade and everything inbetween for me...

F
F
love it... just wait until you see how big the hosta gets... you'll probably be able to divide it up and spread it around elsewhere before too long. thumbup

Hey Weezie, I just recently got introduced to Columbine when my new neighbor planted some she had brought from her mother's house in Wisconsin. I was really impressed with them, so when her mom came to visit last year, she brought me some. thumbup I can't wait to see how they do this year. wink

patches kit

I got some from Bill to I was so excited cant wait till next spring to see what the color is!
Does any one have a problem with hosta getting ants? I have stayed away because, anytime I see one they have ants all over...

P
P
hey patches
i know you dont get over to bayers anymore but i just got back from there . they had colombines
for sale there. also sappington farmers market on watson has them.

Thanks porter! Duh

patches kit

P
P
to tell ya the truth i didnt price em.
i have a few going and really didnt need anything.
i just went there to see what they had.

That okay Porter, at least, you told me they were on sale. thumbup I can always call to get the price. smile

Thanks again, muggs

patches kit

The area by your driveway would be a good place for a daphne a dora. You'll have to wait until fall to plant it. It blooms in February and smells wonderful. They like the shade but need good drainage.

S
S
Columbines are really easy to grow from seed - even I could do it!! laugh :rolleyes:

Thanks Sandy! Duh Also, do you start your seeds indoors or plant them in the ground? Duh

patches kit

W
W
Try Astilbe. They grow like mad in the shade. Cottage Farms Direct is where I got mine. The web address is CottageFarmsDirect.com. I put mine in containers because I live in an apartment and they are growing like crazy. they do not show color until summer time, but the foliage is big and bushy. They come in many amazing colors. I highly recommend them.

S
S
Yes - different colors and varieties. For example "McKana's Giant," "Nellie Barlow," etc. Some come in purple, some white, blue, some doubles. A lot of the seed packs you get in the store are mixed colors. I have great luck buying seeds on eBay, if you're so inclined.

Just got a shrub from ebay and it looked great!! I was shocked how well it looked...
You can also buy assorted lily's..

I have astilbe, bleeding hearts and columbine in my shade garden.
This Old House magazine, May issue, has aan article on shade plants.
They also suggest:
for light shade:
coral bells,heuchera
impatiens
indian pink,spigelia marilandica
leadwort
snowdrop, anemone nemorosa
spider lily, lycoris albiflora
spotted geranium
tuberous begonia
and a bunch of groundcovers and foliage plants.
for full shade:
foamflower
bugleweed
dwarf crested iris
periwinkle
great blue lobelia
hosta
johnny jump up
helebore
spotted dead nettle
st johnswort
woodland phlox

Great list wrennie.. I think I got about 4 of those but still need more thanks for the help!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh! that purple columbine is absolutely divine!!!!

tj, there are more than a few ferns that are good for shady areas!! and most of them will spread out fairly well, too.

i've got cinnamon fern - it's funky! has a 'bud' that looks like a cinnamon stick!

Ferns are great in the shade too. I have some of them, not sure what kinds.
I didnt list them 'cause the orig. question was for flowers, and I was getting typers cramp. LOL!

Thanks Joclin...If you are talking to me... I think I have to get the seeds this year I heard they only last for 4 years so This is the year!! they are big too I have never seen such big columbine..
I love ferns in my yard Wrennie they add a great touch!!

I've got cinnamon fern - it's funky! has a 'bud' that looks like a cinnamon stick!
Joclyn, I have one too and it's neat. wink I didn't know Duh it was going to do that so I was surprised. shk

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i DID know it had that feature...that's why i got it!! i really like things that are different/surprising!!

Well, this was just an added bonus for me. wink I only got them because I really needed some ferns for my shade garden. thumbup I love it when I get something extra for my money. smile

T
tj Offline OP
OP Offline
T
OK so here's the deal! Guess what? we got our driveways Concreted! At first, when we got the bid on the asphault, it was too high for my budget. I cried (I really did, lol) and hubby got us a home equity loan so we were able to get them done. I'm sooooooo glad we got CONCRETE instead of asphault! We are now putting the yard back together and I have 'before' pictures. when we are all done I will give you guys some before and after shots. They should be pretty good so stay tuned clp

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
We love before and afters!!! thumbup

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard