This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#51468 February 21st, 2006 at 10:27 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by peppereater:
My tomatoes do well mostly in variations of the lasagna bed...I thought I had invented that type of gardening the first time I did it! I did that 7 years ago as an experiment! And didn't hear that term until last year, or the description.
That's funny, cause......
I THOUGHT I INVENTED IT.. p heehee,
seriously...

#51469 February 21st, 2006 at 11:06 AM
I just caught Pat's post...zoomed right by it before. If the area over the old gasline is that hard, it's because they backfilled with clay, I'm thinking. You probably have a little more clay than me...or a LOT more. We have pretty much all sand here...
No we have a lot of clay here.

When I first tilled it I borrowed a counter-rotating tiller from a guy it work, all it did was get stuck a lot. The wheels spun one way and the tines spun the other way. It would dig 2 holes everytime it did this.

The tiller I have now is forward-rotating. I have tilled several spots and it's all hard to till up.

I trenched a water-line for the son last fall in Broken Arrow, and his yard was full of clay about a foot down.

The only way a worm is going to burrow in my yard is if he uses a jack-hammer and some dynamite!!!

#51470 February 21st, 2006 at 11:12 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Got one word!!!
COMPOSTTTTTTTT!!!

#51471 February 21st, 2006 at 11:13 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
The only way a worm is going to burrow in my yard is if he uses a jack-hammer and some dynamite!!!

heheheheehe..
That's a good one..

But use COMPOST...
Best soil, clay buster~upper you'll find..
Will ad to drainage...and break that stuff up..

#51472 February 21st, 2006 at 07:57 PM
I added 6" of wood chips to the east half last fall, and I have about 6" piled on the west end, and have some more left for the east end.

My compost pile was VERY big. I plan to get some more wood chips from the city this year. I also added some lime, and some 27-13-13 to it to help it.

#51473 February 21st, 2006 at 08:42 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
With what you posted,
I'd get some kind of manure too...

Pat, with all that wood chips, the manure will
help... it'll ad to the nitrogen the plants need, and help break down the woodchips..

and if for the area for your tomatoes,
I'd lay off the lime....

Tomatoes love acid, like you'd get from leaves, pine needles and wood stuff.....

#51474 February 21st, 2006 at 09:58 PM
J
J
I have not heard anything good about Totally Tomatoes. These are more reputable sources of tomato seed.

Tomato Growers Supply
Sand Hill
Marianne\'s
Heirloom Tomatoes
Seed Saver\'s Exchange

#51475 February 21st, 2006 at 10:01 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Seed Saver's Exchange
I think a member of ours, though I haven't spoken with him in a bit, RICK, grows seeds for there,
I think.. I'll have to find out from him... Duh

#51476 February 21st, 2006 at 10:49 PM
J
J
Originally posted by weezie13:
I think a member of ours, though I haven't spoken with him in a bit, RICK, grows seeds for there,
I think.. I'll have to find out from him... Duh
I'm a first year member. I just got their annual yearbook. Over 100 pages of unique OP tomatoes. I've ordered many tomato varieties from their public catalog and have about another 15 varities I'm requesting from the yearbook.

#51477 February 21st, 2006 at 10:56 PM
O
O
I just ordered some hot pepper seeds from Tomato Growers Supply. They have a great selection!
Another great source of heirloom and open pollinated tomatoes is Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

#51478 February 22nd, 2006 at 01:35 AM
S
S
Peppereater,

I didn't save any seed from Aunt Ruby's last year so my stock is pretty low. I do have an excess of Black Plum that I can send you. PM me with your mailing address.

John, I'm so looking forward to joining SSE with all the talk and drooling going on regarding the yearbook. I have to see what all the fuss is about. Of course it just feeds my tomato obsession, lol. It'll have to wait until next year, though. This year the budget's very tight. The big purchase I'm looking forward to in March is a set or two of shop lights for the seedlings.

Weezie, I haven't grown Siberia so I can't speak to whether it's a good variety. Like whoever mentioned before about Rutgers, it's a very decent canning tomato, so it doesn't surprise me that you wouldn't like it as a slicer. Get your hands on some German Red Strawberry seeds. That one doesn't get huge and it's a WONDERFUL fruity tomato for eating out of hand and not too big.

Cheers,
Julianna

#51479 February 22nd, 2006 at 02:28 AM
J
J
Originally posted by Sorellina:
John, I'm so looking forward to joining SSE with all the talk and drooling going on regarding the yearbook. I have to see what all the fuss is about. Of course it just feeds my tomato obsession, lol. It'll have to wait until next year, though. This year the budget's very tight. The big purchase I'm looking forward to in March is a set or two of shop lights for the seedlings.
I hear ya Julianna. I actually need a couple more shoplights myself.

Dave, I can send you a few ARGG. Just drop me a PM with your snail mail addy.

#51480 February 22nd, 2006 at 02:55 AM
With what you posted,
I'd get some kind of manure too...

Pat, with all that wood chips, the manure will
help... it'll ad to the nitrogen the plants need, and help break down the woodchips..

and if for the area for your tomatoes,
I'd lay off the lime....

Tomatoes love acid, like you'd get from leaves, pine needles and wood stuff.....
I already have a place to pickup a truck load of cow manure. Was going to do that last week, but I didn't have time.

#51481 February 22nd, 2006 at 07:34 AM
Julianna...thanks for the offer. You too, John. I'll be PMing you both. Anyone want Cosmic Orange Cosmos seed? I think it's that variety, that's what they look like.
Julianna..."German Red Strawberry" is a great name! I'll be looking into those!

#51482 February 22nd, 2006 at 08:56 PM
J
J
Anyone want Cosmic Orange Cosmos seed?
Sure! I can throw in few German Red Strawberry if you want.

#51483 February 23rd, 2006 at 12:52 AM
Originally posted by johnCT:
I have not heard anything good about Totally Tomatoes. These are more reputable sources of tomato seed.
Just my input. I order from TT every year and have always gotten good service and good germination on the seeds. I know that they also sell plants and haven't ever ordered those. I was on a site called watchdog or something and checked out their ratings there. There were several negatives, mostly related to their live plants, though many of those reviewers said that TT had either refunded their money or reshipped the plants.

#51484 February 23rd, 2006 at 12:53 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Pat,
I already have a place to pickup a truck load of cow manure. Was going to do that last week, but I didn't have time.
Then you are alllllll set to go... thumbup flw

Try some orangic fert's too, Cotton meal,
blood meal, I think, oh, goshhhhhh, brain drain,
Terry posted some somewhere's around here of some good mixes to mix up too...
Try some experimenting...

#51485 February 23rd, 2006 at 12:54 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Just fixed your quote mike, that was all! kissies

#51486 February 23rd, 2006 at 04:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do you all like Early Girl???? I've started some from seed this year and it's the first time I've tried them.

#51487 February 23rd, 2006 at 04:54 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My mother likes early girl, if for any other fact than, they're thumbup cool early and they are frown not a store bought :p tomato...
They do produce well, she gets a good supply to hand out to the Meals on Wheels people... thumbup cool

#51488 February 23rd, 2006 at 06:22 AM
Just fixed your quote mike, that was all! kissies
Thanks Weezie. BTW, is there a way to reply to a specific message? I didn't see one.

Mike

#51489 February 23rd, 2006 at 06:35 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by mikestuff:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by weezie13:
[qb] BTW, is there a way to reply to a specific message? I didn't see one.

Mike
Like this one Mike???

Click on the quotation makrs at the top of the person you are tryin' to answer or question,
clean it up, if you'd like, to specify what you wanted to quote or know about, like I did with your question above..

#51490 February 23rd, 2006 at 06:50 AM
OP Offline
Let me tell you, My mom planted a few of the tomato seeds from Comfrey, and a few store bought, and Comfrey's are ZOOMING past the store bought!!!! Can't wait to start mine!!!!!!!!!

Ninni

PS. Thanks again Comfrey!

#51491 February 23rd, 2006 at 10:00 AM
J
J
Early Girl is very productive, but not much on taste.

#51492 February 23rd, 2006 at 11:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by johnCT:
Early Girl is very productive, but not much on taste.
Thanks John, that's just what I wanted to know......

Does your mom like the taste of them Weezie? Do you?

Good thing I also have beefsteaks, romas, and cherry tomatoes to fall back on. thumbup

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard