This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#59306 May 1st, 2006 at 04:38 AM
Their is a water proof tape you can buy for the regular pond liners I dont know if it would work with the plastic stuff though. We put in 2 layers of 10ml. All I could find that thick was the clear stuff after we filled it with water it looked like a glass bottom. We put in 2 goldfish and those 2 fish have ended up stocking the pond to about 100 plus now. They have also withstood the cleaning and changeing of liners. Make sure you dig it deep enough and keep the water circulating if you plan on putting fishies in. I think around the tree will be beautiful. I just wonder if the roots will cause a problem with the liner of it he liner and digging will cause issues with the tree?

#59307 May 2nd, 2006 at 03:47 AM
eclo Offline OP
OP Offline
Heyas All.....

I looked and looked and never did find the 'SiloCap'. I have since talked to a friend of mine who used the 'rubber roofing material' that they use for underlayment on tar and gravel roofs.
It comes in rolls as wide as 50 feet and 100 foot long. It is 42ml thick and at .31 to .44 cents a square foot is about half the price of liners at the water garden supply places. AZPonds has some pretty good prices on a lot of stuff but I need to look into shipping prices.

#59308 May 2nd, 2006 at 05:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My husbnad is a roofer....no wait---he was a roofer....for almost 10 years...he just started a new job today! clp

Anyway, we dug my pond out last night and he used really thick roofing rubber to line the pond with....that stuff will never get holes in it..... laugh And it was free, that's the best part!

#59309 May 3rd, 2006 at 01:40 AM
Well i wish i would have known about the roofing rubber..although at that price (.34 cents a squar foot) might as well buy the pond liner..for as much as i need anyhow..right? but, we did get the other liner from hubby's work. it's 6 ml..thinking i'll just double it..right? i mean it couldn't hurt..then for the underlayment..we are using tarps. yes semi tarps..think that should work? i mean that **** is thick..maybe i should put something under that as well..i did consider the dang tree roots..but that tree is soooo small i'm thinking there aren't many roots..and if i kill the dang thing by digging..i won't cry i promise..it blooms these white flowers in the spring..and then they are gone for the rest of the summer..what the helk kind of tree is that..ya know? i have a tulip tree in my front yard..anyone seen one before..they are this states tree..whatever..and no one has seen this thing bloom before..(at least no one around here) and mine blooms..they look like tea cups..when it blooms this year i'll take a picture of it..very cool tree.but very ugly when it's not in bloom..hehe..anyhow.yes i do plan on putting fish in it..i've already got them in my little pond waiting to go to the big one..hehe..can't wait..

#59310 May 3rd, 2006 at 01:57 PM
I built my first house in a yard with 2 huge tulip trees in the front yard. One on each side of the living room. I loved it when they were in bloom. They are my favorite tree, we plan on planting 2 in my back yard on mothers day. I do so miss my tulip trees. I even had yellow sideing put on the house to mesh with the tulip blooms on it. Back on subject.....I believe I read somewhere that the black roofing rubber is not safe for fishies. Its not EPDM I believe. I am not 100% sure on that though but you might want to look in to it before putting in some fishies.

#59311 May 4th, 2006 at 02:17 AM
Well then i guess i'll stick with what i have. hehe..Free plastic is good enough, right? So I was hoping to start that this weekend..IT"S GOING TO RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think i'm just going to quit my job! Yeah that sounds good!

#59312 May 5th, 2006 at 01:06 AM
haha that is funny Lang ... you should be fine !

#59313 May 5th, 2006 at 02:39 AM
Alright...now remain calm..i'm about to tell you something that will drastically change my life...HAHAHAHAHAHA..the rain is off the forcast for the weekend...OH YA!!!!!!digging my pond saturday...hubby can play downstairs if he wants..but ME..i'm DIGGING...WOOOOOHOOOOO (I'll bet after this is posted..i check the weather again, and it's back on..hehe)

#59314 May 7th, 2006 at 12:48 PM
Well how did the digging go today? Hope you got some of it done. I wanted to start hauling rock in to place to frame out the new beds I am working on but between the rain on and off I never got a chance to work on it. I gotta get it done soon I got about 50 day lilies on the way this week.

#59315 May 7th, 2006 at 01:17 PM
Ohhh my Karrie you gotta lot of work to do!! shk shk

#59316 May 8th, 2006 at 08:14 AM
Does the water have to be chlorine free, like for goldfish bowl fish? I'd like to get a tiny fish for the bowl I use as as a squirrel water feature and mini-pond, but I'd flush and fill with the hose, UNLESS fish have to have nonchlorine water. ???

#59317 May 8th, 2006 at 08:53 AM
Deborah if you go to the pet store the sell the de clorinator drops so you can just add it to the water and plop in the fish .. I get the econo size cause I have the fish in the house and outside as well..

#59318 May 8th, 2006 at 08:58 AM
You mean those big koi ponds have dechlorinated water? I never knew that.
Maybe I'll just get a small waterlily or something.
If I hadda pick up a fish in a cup or something, I'd faint. sca

#59319 May 8th, 2006 at 09:01 AM
YES they have to!
you could just let the water set for 24 hours as well it takes out the Chlorine Deb .. Chlorine is bad for fish it disolves the slime coat on the scales and allows bacteria to get in .. It is easy to do just get a net fish are easy friends ...

#59320 May 8th, 2006 at 04:39 PM
Eek, shiver, can't hang with it.....
Thanks though !

#59321 May 8th, 2006 at 11:41 PM
not loving fish?? Try a little turtle or frog?
I love frogs !!

#59322 May 23rd, 2006 at 03:27 AM
Well..i actually have been very busy at work, and although that is really no excuse right now as to why i haven't been able to post..it's the only one i have..no progress..my husband hasn't even looked at digging the pond..he refuses to acknowledge that i'm getting ready to do it myself..and that is not a good thing..he thinks this weekend he will finish the basement and then put up the new pool...all in one weekend..and my ? to him was just this...WHEN IS THE POND GETTING DUG??? right,, simple QUESTION...his remark..NOT THIS WEEKEND...so i'm doing it myself...I have decided i am sick of waiting..no more..nope..nada..he can do what he wants..i'll go rent the back ho..and start digging..(this ought to be interesting me..using a back ho..hahahahahaha)..i figure once i start tearing up the lawn..he'll step in..oh ya

#59323 June 4th, 2006 at 12:56 AM
What part of Indiana are you in Langford? I just moved from there not too long ago. With all the clay in the soil in some areas you may need no liner at all. If you getting a backho you must be planning on going in pretty deep. You just might find a natural liner under that top layer of dirt.

#59324 June 16th, 2006 at 09:53 AM
Hey Karrie, Again, it's been some time..i didn't use a backhoe..and i got regular visqueen liner..i'm hoping it doesn't tear..6ml..i'm from laporte IN..i have a bit of a dang problem though..i went around that tree..now i have to figure out how to connect the two sides under the water fall that will not leak..anyone..any suggestion would be helpful..i'll be back in the morning (to the site) i'm going to see my sister now..she just had a baby this morning!!!!!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#59325 June 21st, 2006 at 03:15 AM
eclo Offline OP
OP Offline
Just thought I would update you all on my big pond progress! I got a roll of woven black fabric type stuff from a friend of mine and am using that for an underlayment. Im not sure exactly what this stuff is but I have seen them use it for erosion control along side the highways. It is tough as nails and should make a great protective layer for my liner. Here is a picture looking north and here is a shot looking southwest ! I think I am going to go ahead and spend the money to get a regulation liner. I dont want to have to do this again in 3 or 4 years eek Alright then, here is one more shot before we got all the underlayment set! Ill keep you all posted on more progress! thumbup and Gratz on your neice or nephew Langford! muggs

#59326 June 21st, 2006 at 04:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Holy Cow, that is one heck of a big pond!!! I can't wait to see it all full up!! I'd love to have a pond that big! thumbup

#59327 June 21st, 2006 at 06:06 AM
I would love to have a pond with a water fall feature, but we have a very small yard. So I come to this site to have my dream through you guys. I like reading about your adventures. And of course, I love to see the pix. thumbup Keep the pix coming. smile Sue

#59328 June 22nd, 2006 at 04:21 AM
Eclo, thanks for the congrats..it is a nephew..hehe..very adorable little guy..but of course he is..he has my genes..hehe..anyhow..how do you attach the liners so there is no leaking? this is my main concern.i haven't filled mine up because i can't get a darn answer from any stores or anything on how to prevent the leaking and like seal the liners?? any suggestions? anyone? it isn't the regular pond liner.it is visqueen..

#59329 June 22nd, 2006 at 01:45 PM
Lang, there is a tape you can get, it will bond the liner. You can get it at pond stores. There is a great store in Monrovia Indiana. We got some there a while back.

#59330 June 22nd, 2006 at 01:50 PM
Eclo, that is so impressive, give yourself a big pat on the back you deserve it. I think its best that you put in a good liner with that amount of work, do it right the first time, it would be ashamed to have to mess with the established ecosystem in that pond in a few years. I am sure it will be flourishing.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard