This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#71139 November 3rd, 2005 at 09:42 PM
OP Offline
Hello,

Life has been so hectic, I never got ot do anything with my lilac seeds. I was going to throw them in the fridge for a few weeks, but it is now Nov. 3rd and will be getting cold enough here in NY to do that naturally grinnnn . Does anyone know if I should put those seeds in the ground now? Or wait a few weeks to get colder. Or maybe not put them in the ground at all?? Any help would be appreciated......

Thanks!!

Ninni

#71140 January 7th, 2006 at 12:58 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Ninni,
Don't know how I missed this??

What did you end up doing with your seeds???

#71141 January 7th, 2006 at 01:51 AM
OP Offline
Is still haven't done ANYTHING with them!!! They are still in an envelope, on my porch....I doubt it gets to Freezing on that porch, but it sure gets cold...I think I am going to leave them out there a few more weeks, and then put them in a little pot.

Ninni

#71142 January 7th, 2006 at 05:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Outside is good...
It's still cold and going thru your
winter chilling period...

I bet you could do a couple of experiments
and give them all a try..
How many seeds do you have?

Take some, one or more and scatter out side, maybe in an area you wouldn't mind having the lilac bushes grow sometime...

Take some pots/containers, filled with some soil/dirt and put the seed/seeds in those...
And leave outside......

And wait until spring and re~do some more pots/containers and re~do the seed/seeds in them...

And let us know how it comes out...

#71143 January 7th, 2006 at 06:21 AM
Glad this one came up to the top. I too have lilac seeds and know where I want them but did not know if there was still enough chill time to plant them. Guess I will be out digging in the dirt (aka mud) and rain and getting some of them at least in the ground.

They take 2 years to bloom, right?

#71144 January 7th, 2006 at 09:46 AM
OP Offline
I only have three seeds!!!! I had 2 pods, and only got out three seeds!!!! so my experimenting will be limited!! LOL!! The reason for this seed push, is I can't get to the bush to pull out any little shoots, so I had one single little cluster of flowers, that overhanged and two pods, from the cluster, that I was able to grab. This tree has been growing here since before we bought the house, At least 30 years ago!! and I would love to be able to spread it around, and keep the same old bush going.....

ninni

#71145 January 7th, 2006 at 09:51 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Have you done any pruning of the big wood??????

That incourages new growths...

Also, go whack a stalk or two, a few times,
after it would be flowering time???
*The flowering buds are produced the year
before, like early summer*

#71146 January 7th, 2006 at 10:13 AM
Why can't you get to it?

#71147 January 7th, 2006 at 11:41 AM
OP Offline
There are such Thick Prickers behind the fence and then the lilac bush. Weezie, what do you mean Whack a few stalks? Whack them off, or Hit them!?? LOL!!

Ninni

#71148 January 7th, 2006 at 09:37 PM
OP Offline
hey Did you guys see oui's picture on the other thread about lilac seeds? mine don't look anything like that!! Mine are wafery looking.... Wouldnt that be funny if I didn't have ANY lilac seeds here at all!!!!!

Ninni

#71149 January 8th, 2006 at 02:58 AM
Ninni,

Here is what my seeds look like.
[Linked Image]

I hope that is also what yours look like. These are Old Fashioned lilac seeds. Purple flowers.

Hope that helps.

#71150 January 8th, 2006 at 04:52 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yes, Triss, THANK~YOUUUUUUUU!!!
I was going to post on here, that mine were
different too..
*it is so hard sometimes to remember that there
is other species listed with the same name out there,
ALLLLL OVER THE WORLD*
Like birds and such.. (like in Badkitti's post with Robins' and Goldfinches' that look totally different than the one's we have here in the Northeast....)

I was going to pipe in on that other post about lilac seeds too, but thought I'd better not say anything, although they didn't look like the one's here, I was very glad that Mike57 was able to identify them for Oui...

Mine, that look like Triss's, I know are the same exact thing, cause I pulled them right out of one of the flowers....
I have never started them from seed, and thought I'd try...

#71151 January 8th, 2006 at 05:19 AM
I've been wanting to grow lilac for sooooo long and I got a few cuttings from my friend's mom's bush and put them in water and didn't get to plant them cuz they died frown oh well maybe this spring smile

#71152 January 8th, 2006 at 05:21 AM
Well Weezie, Hopefully both of ours will grow. I think it will be a great focal point in my yard being that I am putting them right at the corner of the house. It will also separate the front garden and the side one. So we will see what happens. It has been too wet to get out there and actually even toss them in the ground.

#71153 January 8th, 2006 at 06:00 AM
OP Offline
Yippee!! Those are the same kind of lilac seeds I have also!!! Good Luck everyone!!!!!!

Ninni

#71154 January 8th, 2006 at 07:14 AM
And to you too Ninni.

#71155 January 8th, 2006 at 08:13 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by MissJamie:
I've been wanting to grow lilac for sooooo long and I got a few cuttings from my friend's mom's bush and put them in water and didn't get to plant them cuz they died frown oh well maybe this spring smile
Jamie...
Your best bet, IMHO, to get a lilac growing is to go back to your friends mom's bush and get a sucker that's growing at the base of it..

A sucker would be, something that looks like another small plant a few inches or so away from the bush, sticking out of the ground...

And take one of the smaller ones.. you'll have better success...again, IMHO with the smaller one.. less shock and are easier to keep growing than a larger one set in it ways already..

Take a sharp shovel and stick it into the ground, between the momma plant and the new baby, straight in... straight down... then slice around the baby... and lift up....out of the soil...
try not to rip the roots.. the more roots or root ball around the base of the little one is okay..

Then replant... *have hole ready to go before digging the baby up and you can just take the same shovel and drop it in the hole..*

And never plant the plant below where the original plant came out of the ground..
*so keep the soil right around the base of the
plant and you'll know exactly the height it was*

And if you do do this, please let us know..
It would be fun to hear if you have success.... thumbup

#71156 January 8th, 2006 at 08:18 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Originally posted by Triss:
Well Weezie, Hopefully both of ours will grow. I think it will be a great focal point in my yard being that I am putting them right at the corner of the house. It will also separate the front garden and the side one. So we will see what happens. It has been too wet to get out there and actually even toss them in the ground.
Just remember it takes a longggggggggggggg time for the plant to finally flower from seed..

Heck, I did the method I told Jamie about in the above post, taking a sucker and it was either 6 or 7 years, no lie before mine flowered..
I can't imagine how long it would be from seed....

When I took my suckers, they were about 6" or so high.. they are about 7ft now...and it's about 11 years now for them...I've had 4 flowering springs with them...this coming one, it will be the 5th.
And each year, they get more and more blooms..

But I did plant one in a little bit more shade than the other one.. and it's a little less blooming than that one....

#71157 January 8th, 2006 at 08:25 AM
My seeds said 2 full years. I can wait. It is going to be in the corner of the garden area and I will be planting a LOT around it.

#71158 January 8th, 2006 at 08:33 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My seeds said 2 full years.
You got talking seeds???

Alright Triss way to go... how did you get them to talk....

***I am sooo kidding you, wink~wink wink wink and a big smile grinnnn

#71159 January 8th, 2006 at 09:05 AM
I am GOOD!!! You can get anything to talk being a mom of 6. shocked Actually that was what was written on the seed pack. I need to be careful with my words around you Weezie laugh

#71160 January 8th, 2006 at 09:31 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Questions???

You're were reading that from a seed packet??

A real one from the store like or from a trade and hand written in????

And it said it would flower in 2 full years???

Just curious???

#71161 January 8th, 2006 at 09:35 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I should re~clarify when I said mine took
so long...
I had gotten or taken them from a place I lived, the day I moved out..
and where I went to, did not have a place for them,
so I put them up on my mom and dad's hill
and left them in the container...
Then it was probably about 3 years after that,
that I got them in the ground here where I live now...
so, hence that's why, maybe, it took so long...

(I don't know????)

But I also have one baby plant that seemed to seed it's self in my flower bed in the Back 40,
I know it's a lilac, leaves and all match, but I'd say, they've been there for at least 4 years now, and haven't seen a flower off of them yet..
*I'd say they were a wild white one, cause that's what's on the property line right next door..*

I'd love to know...if you're bloom faster in the two years....

#71162 January 8th, 2006 at 10:14 AM
Weezie,

I got the seeds from Mary and on her pack she wrote "2+years to bloom". I will let you know the progress of them this year for sure and I am keeping a journal now so I will remember when I planted and all that good stuff.

#71163 January 8th, 2006 at 10:43 AM
ok thanks weezie! I'll try and use some miracle grow on the sucker so maybe it'll get established quicker smile I can't wait!! she was gonna get me some suckers when she gave me the cuttings but couldn't get to them because she has an old tire around each of her lilacs (she's got about 3 maybe 4 lilac bushes that are about 6 feet tall!!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard