This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#77962 June 19th, 2006 at 07:30 PM
dodge yes it's a herb.

Borage grows to a height of up to 1M.

It tastes like fresh cucumber and is used in salads, drinks and in soups. An infusion of the leaves makes a refreshing tea. The flowers can be added to salads and make beautiful crystallised decorations for cakes and desserts.

Spearmint
If you grow it in your garden it tends to go all over the place.
It has a matted creeping root system, sends up erect, square stems to about 2 feet high.
It can become invasive, so plant it in an area where it can be controlled and won't crowd out other garden plants.
The leaves and flowers are edible raw or cooked. A strong flavor, they are used in salads, flavouring cold soups, beverages and meats, together with thyme, spearmint is the most important culinary herb in Britain.

Sage
Sage Uses: In stuffings for poultry, fish, game and other meats; in sauces, soups and chowders, meat pies, sausage (so-sage!); in marinades; in barbecue sauces with rosemary and thyme. Use sparingly. For roast pork: with sharp knife, make slits in the skin 1/4-inch apart; brush with olive oil to which a handful of chopped or crushed leaves has been added. Excellent deep-fried as an appetizer or garnish (for chicken or pork, or squash soup), in Saltimbocca in which veal, prosciutto.

Hope that helps smile

#77963 June 20th, 2006 at 12:48 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
Zenith

(Your a good TV..;o) ))))

Thanks about Borage......I am taking my chance this season with it......Amongs the tomatoes right now ..It is supposed to enchanant the flavor. However I plow it under in the spring.

Thanks

dodge

#77964 June 20th, 2006 at 12:59 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Dodge,
The plant will die in the fall,
as soon as it frosts..

You will only get babies in the spring,
if it reseeds....

#77965 June 20th, 2006 at 03:37 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
Weezie

Thats good........Let it die.

I think I have more seed...Will check.

I want to see if it does its work.

Dodge laugh laugh laugh

#77966 July 3rd, 2006 at 08:18 AM
Dodge, I agree with ya on spearmint.
I don't know if it's just me, but it seems that when spearmint is young and tender, at the garden center, in a 4" pot, it's sweet and lovely.
Get it home, it matures, P.U. It becomes strong and rank. At least to me.
I just threw out my potted, rank, strong, outta control spearmint, and good riddance !
Apple mint on the other hand, retains its sweetness. At least to me.
I don't know how invasive it can be as I have it in a large pot. But I wouldn't trust any of the mint family outside of a container.

#77967 July 3rd, 2006 at 08:19 AM
P.S. I wonder why apple mint is called apple mint?
It's just a milder spearmint scent.
I have a cinnamon basil that smells exactly licorice.
Go figure... Duh

#77968 July 3rd, 2006 at 09:29 AM
dodge Offline OP
OP Offline
daaaaaaaaaaa
funny

dodge

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard