This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#78696 April 15th, 2006 at 06:57 AM
http://www.naturenorth.com/fall/ncrawler/ncrawler2.html

Check out the night crawler picture...I was curious and found this site. smile

#78697 April 15th, 2006 at 07:04 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Night crawlers are the biggest worms around here, but they pale in comparison to Australia's giant earth worm that may exceed 3 metres in length!
How long is 3 metres...

#78698 April 15th, 2006 at 09:43 AM
Not all earthworms are good and earthworms are not native to many parts of the northern United States. Places like Minnesota and Pennsylvania are having problems with these non-native, invasive species from Europe and Asia killing the forests.

Parts of the northern US that had glacieral activity, do not have native earthworms. When the Europeans arrived they had soil on the ships and this is how some of the first European species got here.

What causes the problem in the north is earthworms feed voraciously on the leaf litter, breaking it down too fast and flooding the soil with nutrients, especially nitrogen. The second factor is the worms actually change the pH of the soil with their body secretions. This is changing the native soil chemistry and pH so native plants are having a hard time growing.

Since Colonial times about 45 exotic earthworm species have been introduced to North America. Now in the south, there are over 100 species of native North American earthworms. The glaciers never made it to the south.

So keep in mind that on the north earthworms are damaging the ecology, but in the south the invasives do not seem to be causing a problem.

there are many website out there on this subject if you want to learn more.
Minnesota Worm Watch

Invasive Earthworms—A Threat to North American Forests

#78699 April 15th, 2006 at 04:44 PM
Amber J Offline OP
OP Offline
Crap! They change the pH of the soil? I put some in my carnivorous plant tank! What was I thinking??

#78700 April 15th, 2006 at 09:50 PM
well being many carnivores plants are from the south i would think they would be fine with the worms. Its the northern plants that have the problems.

Also depends on the worms you put in.

#78701 April 16th, 2006 at 04:51 AM
Amber J Offline OP
OP Offline
No, the pH of the soil has to be very acidic for carnivorous plants. Too many nutrients will kill them.

#78702 April 27th, 2006 at 11:56 PM
T
T
Guess when NightCrawlers come out? Know what they do? Crawl.
Actually they usually crawl away when the area they are in is not providing them enough food and they go searching for better pastures so to speak. That's why some people who know better go ahead and throw chicken poop on the ground as stated above, or leave banana peels or other kitchen scraps on the ground. Some people I know have even left pet poop on the ground because as gross as it is, the worms do come. Red worms aren't as picky about their food supply but they earn their nickname "Wigglers" when they are uncovered and exposed. Some will wiggle as if they are being attacked by ants. NightCrawlers just try to get away.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard