This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#83172 November 22nd, 2005 at 01:53 AM
R
R

#83173 November 22nd, 2005 at 02:47 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Jdepoy11,
We cool LOVE luv a gooooooood mystery
around here....

If the two that Rugby posted are it,
*we're hopin'*, if not,
maybe some more pictures..
Up close pictures of stems, leaves, etc..
so we can really fine tune it a bit..

This is great...
LOVE those mysteries!!!

#83174 November 23rd, 2005 at 01:00 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I think we are definetly getting closer! The first pict. looks the closest but the leaves don't branch off like that, could be b/c it's malnutritioned. I will take some close up pictures and get them posted. Sometimes it's a hassle to get picts around here! Hopefully tomorrow. : ) Thanks again. This is fun and the suspense is killing us! clp

#83175 November 23rd, 2005 at 04:54 AM
J
J
My guess a Philodendron Duh

#83176 November 24th, 2005 at 02:11 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Ok. I have some new pictures.. Hopefully these will help.
pict1
pict2
pict3

wavey
Well I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks for your help once again.. Hopefully these pictures help narrow the mystery down. The leaves are 1.5inches wide at the largest. Thanks!!! Gobble Gobble!

#83177 November 29th, 2005 at 10:59 AM
I have no idea! But this one seems facinating!!! I'm just wondering since you keep propping it up if you are allowed hanging baskets I wonder how far down the vines would go?

#83178 November 30th, 2005 at 02:39 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I'm not sure, but it just keeps growing. It's like it grows up for about 6 inches and then starts to grow down.. Duh I think they will just keep growing out.. It's the strangest plant!

#83179 November 30th, 2005 at 02:48 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I would have to say it's
cause of the low lighting maybe...

#83180 December 3rd, 2005 at 01:12 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Weezie! Thanks Weezie! Thanks Weezie! laugh Just Kidding. I've looked through a giant A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden plants book teech and still not sure.. But it made me realize perhaps I'm leaving out important info. So here's some more if anyone is still interested. The new leaves are red/purple and they change to green tops with red undersides, but the midrib is always purple/red tinted. When the "vines" grow about 6 inches up they curve towards the ground and when it reaches the ground (we keep propping it higher and it keeps growing towards the ground andwe prop it highter...) it curves up and starts growing up again. Maybe this info will help... maybe not! I'm still not convinced. : )

#83181 December 3rd, 2005 at 02:34 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
hahaha, I just realized it triple posted..

We'll keep workin' on it...

#83182 December 6th, 2005 at 08:30 AM
F
F
I work in a greenhouse and in july we usually get 55,000 pointsettia plugs
that is a pointsettia, but rather funky, surprised it has a shape like that because points will break if you look at them!,,lol
we force a few to be in colour by halloween, and we cover them at 4 in the afternoon, and uncover them at 9. Just to shorten the day. the other 7 or 8 greenhouses change colour in time for christmas with the regular shortening of the day

hope this helps

#83183 December 6th, 2005 at 10:06 AM
and still not sure.. But it made me realize perhaps I'm leaving out important info. So here's some more if anyone is still interested.
I just wanted you to know, I have found this one of the most interesting threads ever wavey and done my own research(hours) online and have come no closer than anyone else to identifying your lovely little plant. Good Luck! thumbup

I too am swaying towards poinsettia, but still it doesn't seem quite right.

#83184 December 6th, 2005 at 08:56 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I think so too Mel...
It's a bugger..
I keep comin' back and lookin'..
and hopin' some one will come along and
snag it..

I said either a pointsettia or some kind of
Amaranthe???

***Jdepoy11, Are you up for an experiment or two?

One I would say, get another pot/container, fill
with your potting soil.. and set close to the momma plant.. and take one of the hanging down
stems, and touch it to the top of the soil..
see if it takes root..
*then you'd have a second one and it would be shorter...*

Again, I am not firmiliar with the actions of a pointsettia, if that's one, and it would do that things..

Sometimes too, looking at it, the trailing habits remind me of some kind of sweet potato vine??????
**that also may cause it to send up more shoots from the bottom.. dunno????

Can any of the people who work with poinsettia's tell me if they root along the stem???? I don't usually grow them and so I'm not sure???

The other experiment would be...
*say, to do this maybe after seeing if the first
stem takes root.. not sure if I would be brave enough to do both at the same time..*
but snip one of the longer one's off... and put in water.. and see if it roots that way???

Again, this may cause more basal growth..

#83185 December 8th, 2005 at 04:34 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I'll definetly give it a try! Thanks Weezie! kissies That would at least give us something else to go on. I'm glad I'm not the only one not figuring this out right away! confused It's fun though. I think it really needs to be repotted into a bigger pot but I've been puttin it off. I'll keep checking and I'll let ya know how the experiment goes. clp

#83186 December 12th, 2005 at 04:21 PM
S
S
Just for the sake of tossing in my 2 cents, I have a poinsettia that did the exact same thing as the one in your photo. It looks like a twin to mine. It got that way because I didn't keep it cut back to encourage the bushiness factor. Poinsettias do require a bit of trimming, or they will get leggy and fall over the sides of the pot. Mine is in the ground, and now I'm just waiting to see if roots develop where the stem is touching the soil. Long story short, I say poinsettia. grinnnn

#83187 December 13th, 2005 at 11:29 AM
jdepoy11... My guess is ...

It's a variety of the stromanthe... Today I stopped by my nursery to pick up some peatmoss and they had a clearance sale on tropical plants the one I bought was the Stromanthe guienea tricolor... green and cream long pointed leaves with burgandy/purpulish under leaves.. I looked up stromanthe on net and there are several varieties most have dark purple or red underleaves,, from what I read too much direct light changes the color of top of leave , likes to be root bound.and needs to be misted (loves humidity)
You know me I'm not good at puter stuff so I'll TRY to post a site according to all I've read and seen this may be the specie your plant belongs too.. Duh
www.ccgga.com/corey-nursey-prod-02.html

in any case just look up stromanthe varieties and see if one of these are your,,, Hope I've been helpful.

#83188 January 13th, 2006 at 12:48 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Just wanted to let the viewers know that we have moved in the office to be close to a window and this plant is really doing great with some real sunshine! Still don't know what it is for sure, I guess I'm sticking with the poinsettia family. If nothing else I'm really glad we posted here because I have really enjoyed the site. I've learned a lot! idea I'll be using this site to help with all of my plant problems/ questions! Thanks!! Keep up the good work!

#83189 January 13th, 2006 at 01:03 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That's great news..
Always love to hear a plant is doing good..
*even if we're not still completely sure
what it is..*

Got any new pictures of it lookin' better????
That might help us some more..

But thumbup for gab the update luv them..

#83190 January 13th, 2006 at 11:43 AM
if either of the plants root, can you send me a baby??? this one is just freaky enough to match my ice plant! laugh

#83191 January 19th, 2006 at 01:50 AM
J
OP Offline
J
My group will be moving in the office again next week and we will be moving away from teh window. I think that I'll take it home and see if I can get some babies! If it's successful I'll be sure to let you all know. I'd be glad to share the wealth of the mystery plant!! muggs

#83192 March 14th, 2006 at 06:32 AM
J
OP Offline
J
So I might have solved the mystery! Maybe.. I need a second opinoin. Here is a link to picts of "red Robin" in the Rosaceae family. perhaps this potted plant is supposed to be a shrub. Here is the link
http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=SUNA,SUNA:2005-48,SUNA:en&q=RED%20ROBIN%20-%20ROSACEAE&sa=N&tab=wi

you'll have to copy paste to search b/c I don't remember how to link. I founda picture in my new American Horticultural Society encylopedia of plants and flowers and then started searching the web.. I would love to hear if anyone agrees. Thanks!

#83193 March 14th, 2006 at 07:17 AM
heres how you do it...in late summer you cut the stems to about 8 inches or about 2-3 leaves per stem, then you stick it outside and through the duration of the summer pinch it back to keep it full. in september bcondition it inside. around october (around Halloween)stick it in total darkness for 12 hours (5pm-7am) and take it out in the morning. When you see bract coloration around december (thats when it will start coloration) you can take it out full time. The bracts will finish coloration w ithout the darkness. and enjoy the beautiful plant.

Oh one more thing it has to bee total darkness. even a street light or anything at night can delay bract coloration

#83194 March 14th, 2006 at 07:24 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Okay, Alex, are you saying you believe she's got
what she just posted about, or do you think she has a Pointsettia?????
Very Curious???

#83195 March 14th, 2006 at 07:40 AM
Im not ENTIRLY sure but I believe its a pointsettia..Time to find the houseplant books (if i could only remeber where i put it) haha

#83196 March 14th, 2006 at 07:43 AM
Yes founnd it! now im going on research duty..much help appricitaed : )

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard