Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#180656 Feb 10th, 2008 at 08:55 PM
Mommy Offline OP
OP Offline
I am currently growing a few different kinds of seeds. I started them out in a Jiffy mini-greenhouse with bottom heat. I took them off of the bottom heat and opened the lid once they were a few inches high. This has been about 3 days. I now have them in larger bio-degradable pots that I can plant directly outside.

My question is this: Do they need auctual sunlight, or can I just warm them with a lamp and a regular lightbulb? Right now I have 2 lamps about 3 feet apart facing inward towards the seedlings. Is this sufficient? They are in the garage and have no sunlight at all. I could move them outside, but we still have 4-6 weeks until the last frost is predicted to be past.

Anyone?

Mommy #180691 Feb 10th, 2008 at 10:07 PM
Mommy Offline OP
OP Offline
This kind of answers my own question. I hope this can help others too:

For a basic outline on how to start seeds, there are several things that must be present to ensure success: proper containers, proper growing media, proper moisture, proper light, proper temperature, good air circulation. A big must is cleanliness. Containers must be clean and free of fungus spores, planting medium must be sterile, etc. The idea is to prevent disease formation in young seedlings, particularly damping off.

I generally use peat pots filled with moistened sterile soilless mix or Jiffy7's. I also use cell packs or 2x2 plastic starting pots. If I use containers that have been used previously, I clean them and then dip them in a solution of bleach and water, 1-2 Tbsp of household bleach to the gallon. Dip the scrubbed containers in this solution to kill any spores, then let dry thoroughly.

Start planning what you want to grow and purchase the seeds as early as possible. Some seeds require extensive time indoors for germination and growing. Be sure to refer to a seed-starting chart for length of time and the best method for germination and growing on indoors. Be aware that some seeds require pre-chilling, or stratification. Some seeds require nicking the surface, scarification, or benefit by soaking for a while before sowing. Some require bottom heat, and some require total darkness. Read up before purchasing so you will be prepared on how to properly start your chosen plants. If you are in a garden center, read the backs of the seed packet labels for the proper method and time to start seeds.

Find out what your average last frost date is. If a given variety of seed needs to be started 10 to 12 weeks before the last frost date, count back that time to when you can safely plant the seeds. For example, if April 30 is your last average frost date, then from about February 12 to 19 would be about right for something requiring 10 to 12 weeks for starting indoors.

Now for planting mixes or medium: Forget about sterilizing soil in the oven. It is messy, not the best medium for indoor seed starting, and stinks to high heaven while sterilizing! Be sure to use a good, sterile seed starting mix. I used to blend my own with milled spahgnum moss, perlite, vermiculite, and whatever else. Now, I am just as content to let others blend a good mix, and I am willing to pay the price. Most soilless mixes are relatively inexpensive, so why bother with some magic blend? My time is precious, as I am sure yours is, too. Follow the directions on the bag for moistening the medium, and fill your containers, as directed.

The best "tool" for starting some of the larger seeds is a pencil. Pop the point into the medium the required depth, and add the seed. Cover with sifted medium and spritz the top to moisten, not douse! For finer seed, adding a little sand to the seed packet will help to evenly distribute the seeds when planting. Press dustlike seeds onto the moistened surface. Place your containers on trays, and add saran wrap or some other plastic wrap over the top of the containers and trays to seal in the moisture. Now, bottom heat is very helpful to absolutely necessary in order for most seed to germinate. You can supply bottom heat with a heating mat, or place trays of planted pots on a water heater or my favorite, on top of the refrigerator. Keep your plantings away from cold windowsills or drafty areas. If total darkness is required, then place newspaper on top of the plastic-covered containers, or place them into a dark trash bag before placing on top of the refrigerator. Check for signs of germination. When most of the seeds have sprouted and are showing their first set of leaves, or seed leaves, remove the plastic cover. Keep them moist, not soggy. Now is the time to add supplemental lighting.

Lighting is crucial. If you do not have a greenhouse or extremely bright southern exposure, you will need supplemental lighting. There are many different lights that can be used. Flourescent lights and grow lights that offer full spectrum lighting are the best choices. Forget standard incandescent light bulbs. They do not supply the lighting required for strong plant formation and they give off too much heat. You can purchase pre-wired light stands or rig your own system up. Just be sure the lighting is within a few inches, not feet, of the tops of your seedlings. As your plants continue continue to grow, the lights can be raised up a bit. Plants should be within two to three inches of the light source, but not touching. I have an old baker's rack system that I have used for many years. I used thin plywood panels, screwed in cup hooks, and added chains to suspend the attached lights so I could raise and lower them as needed over the seedlings. It is inexpensive and has served a good purpose for many years. I have used both grow lights and fluorescent lighting with this system with good success. When I use fluorescent, I combine one warm light with one cool light tube for the proper light spectrum. Also, I change my light tubes every year to every other year. After a while, the light spectrum does decline, although it might not be apparent to the naked eye. Aim for about twelve hours of supplemental lighting per day. If you do choose to use a bright windowsill, keep an eye out for cold drafts and spindly growth. Also, you will need to rotate your plants every day to keep them growing straight, as they will tend to bend towards the light source from your windows.

Once seedlings start to develop true leaves, thinning becomes an issue. If seedlings are not properly thinned, they are more susceptible to diseases such as damping off and will be competing with each other. Snip the excess seedlings with a pair of scissors so the remaining seedlings will not be disturbed.

Water from the bottom of your pots, and check the moisture levels every day. Warm winter homes means dry air. seedlings will become stressed if they are allowed to dry out excessively. While they do not require the constant moisture level as starting seeds do, seedlings do require even, not soggy moisture.

Once the seedlings are up and running, so to speak, they will require food. Feed a half-strength solution of sea kelp, fish emulsion, or complete organic fertilizer. Add by bottom watering. As the plants develop, many will appreciate a foliar feeding as well.You may need to transplant your seedlings several times. If they become pot-bound or overly big for their containers, they will begin to suffer and weaken, so this is an essential step. Transplant them into larger containers and use more of the soilless medium. You may need to transplant your seedlings several times. If they become pot-bound or too big for their containers, they will begin to suffer and weaken, so this is an essential step. Transplant them into larger containers and use more of the soilless medium.

Gradually harden off your plants before finally planting them outdoors. Start by placing them in a protected and shady spot after the weather has started to moderate. Keep them out for about two hours at first, then gradually increase the amount of time they are spending outdoors. Gradually increase their exposure to natural sunlight after they are up to about eight hours a day in a protected spot. Bring them indoors if the weather threatens to turn frosty or very cold at night. Transplant them on a cloudy, windless day.

Mommy #183093 Feb 17th, 2008 at 04:43 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wow! That is a lot of great information.. I would like to start some seeds of my own this year.. but this method seems kind of intimidating.. I don't have much room to work with.. and don't have special lighting or heating.. hmm.. I will have to give this some more consideration I think. =/

Pinkhorseofcourse #183097 Feb 17th, 2008 at 04:48 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
You dont have to do all that .

Wait till April middle and put our some plastic containers and lay seed on top ..
Keep it water and dont let it dry out....
Then Hidea and watch.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #183294 Feb 18th, 2008 at 03:23 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Dodge, do you mean put them outside?? Cause that I could do. ;)

And I LOOOOOVVVVE your horsey.. oh sorry, your Nitemare! :P Where did you find it? I would like something similar to add to my siggie.. Do you have horses??

Pinkhorseofcourse #183298 Feb 18th, 2008 at 03:34 PM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
hubby drinks bottled water because he travels so much and I've had him start saving me some to start some seeds in, I think I'm ready since we are down to 30 days til spring!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Pinkhorseofcourse #183304 Feb 18th, 2008 at 03:49 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by Pinkhorseofcourse
Dodge, do you mean put them outside?? Cause that I could do. ;)

And I LOOOOOVVVVE your horsey.. oh sorry, your Nitemare! :P Where did you find it? I would like something similar to add to my siggie.. Do you have horses??

Go here for the horsey......http://bestsmileys.com/biting/

Now if you use the horse,, it has to be down sized by Cindy (afgreyparrot) it is huge on there .

Yes we had 3 horse, lived to ripe old ages..Gone now.
thanks for the compliments.

Yes by the beginning of may you can put the dirt our with seeds.. If the temperature dips , take them in the garage or cover them.

They grow fast in may.

Hope I answered them well...... lol thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #183312 Feb 18th, 2008 at 04:17 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks Dodge! Now I just need to find some containers to start them in.. though, I suppose I could just buy some of the little peat pots.. would that work? hehe And I need to figure out what it is I want to grow.. haha

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Feb 18th, 2008 at 04:19 PM.
Pinkhorseofcourse #183318 Feb 18th, 2008 at 04:24 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Bother.. the horsey isn't there anymore. :( Just mostly little smilies with question marks.

Pinkhorseofcourse #183320 Feb 18th, 2008 at 04:27 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
tapfoot

That is the first page.
Click on INDEX and it will show you all you can take.

LMK.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Pinkhorseofcourse #183321 Feb 18th, 2008 at 04:31 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
No
You can use things like Margarine tubs or detergant bottles washed out .
I use lids from clear plastic cake covers.......Some folks use egg cartons.
Large soda bottles...........
Plastic storage containers .old ones or old deep dishes......

You dont have to get fancy to start stuff......
Or get the styfoam glasses ......I used to do those lots.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #183334 Feb 18th, 2008 at 04:54 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh Ok.. that link you gave me was biting.. so I went to the index.. I don't see any thing listed as horses.. so I am checking animals. Thank you!!

And yeah, all those sound good, but I don't really have any of those.. I could use egg cartons.. or some styro foam cups.

ETA: Gah what an airhead I am!! I see the horse categories now. *slinks away*

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Feb 18th, 2008 at 05:00 PM.
Pinkhorseofcourse #183341 Feb 18th, 2008 at 05:10 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
nervous

Your Blind........

on the Home page click NEXT
then click .............Index
on the index it is located on the 6th column Horses1 / 7th column Horses2

It is 14th Row down.......................

TRY........again..
blush

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #183344 Feb 18th, 2008 at 05:11 PM
wow i'm new at gardenng, last year was my first, i spent all of this money on cardboard pots and never thought of recycling things like egg cartons! Thank you so very much!! I grew things like wild flowers and daliahs just by throwing them on the ground like chicken seed and the dahlias were crazy and everywhere! but the things i started in containers were hopeless! awsome advice!!!

apriciate what you have,forget what you don't, open your eyes and notice the beauty around you in everything you see and do! just enjoy life!
reopenguin #183351 Feb 18th, 2008 at 05:23 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
rose

I am glad to hear your trying.........Now let me tell you a story of throw on the grow.
Some seeds require light to germinate.. Lettuce will do that for you.. Try it .
Others must be covered......
Container planting is tricky cause you must keep the seeds moist..

RIght now I have some in a storage box lid ......I water them and put a plastic bubbler on top of the seeds........It is working beautiful to conserve the water.

Some one sent me bubbler in a box and I save that too......Hang around and you will learn lots of little tricks here.
If you need seeds holler.....someone might have your type.
Good luck and happy growing..
b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #183362 Feb 18th, 2008 at 05:42 PM
thank you! where would i get advise on what to grow. I am 36, but have inoperable tumors on my feet, and have arthritis that is getting worse. Therefore, i am wanting to plant most of my yard in a cottage type design so i do not have to worry about mowing much, i have a lot of hills on my acre lot, so much washes away. I am trying to do as much as possible while i am still able to, with walk ways, ect. i built a small pond in the front alreasdy. i am very active, and love the outdoors, and want to make it where i can still enjoy it when i am unable to work it much. any suggestions, or places for ideas, i do not have a lot of money to spend. I love this sight!thanks

apriciate what you have,forget what you don't, open your eyes and notice the beauty around you in everything you see and do! just enjoy life!
reopenguin #183367 Feb 18th, 2008 at 05:52 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding: reopenguin,

I'm Sorry to hear that......But I am enjoying your love for gardening .
I am going to Paste that story you wrote , in another section on here and see if any of our gang can answer that ......
We have lots of thoughts on here about many subjects.. And we love company like yours.......

Let me try to do this.. I arent up on How to do all that ..But will try.
See different subjects go in different places here ..

Hang on ..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #183371 Feb 18th, 2008 at 05:56 PM
thank you! this is the first place that i have found with such nice and helpful people!

reopenguin #183375 Feb 18th, 2008 at 06:01 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

Your very much welcome..

I posted that story in the LANDSCAPE TRIALS AND TRIUMPS..
I had to put it under my name to paste it but yours is on the top.. We will see how this goes......

They are really fun folks here.........We clown around like we know each other .. Ha ha
We dont..

Just ask anything you want. Bill is the owner here and he is in a great deal of Landscaping in his yard.. all the time.
If you click on the Cedar Hill Box here on the right , you will see his camera with views.....Probably dark now .

But try it in the morning.

Just ask any question on here.Everyone fights to answer them.. thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #183406 Feb 18th, 2008 at 06:44 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
nervous

Your Blind........

on the Home page click NEXT
then click .............Index
on the index it is located on the 6th column Horses1 / 7th column Horses2

It is 14th Row down.......................

TRY........again..
blush

*thwap* I am not blind.. neener I edited that I found them.. not sure why I didn't see them the first time.. I was looking too hard me thinks. haha

Pinkhorseofcourse #183410 Feb 18th, 2008 at 06:52 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap clap

I am soooooooooooooo happy forrrrrrrrrrrrrr you. wavy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #183415 Feb 18th, 2008 at 06:58 PM
is there anything that i should absolutely avoid planting? like way to invasive i had bought several burning bushes, then everyone in my home town said not to plant them because i could not get rid of them and would hate them! i have natural mimosa trees, and hate them because they put off seedlings like crazy, and they grow super fast before i get the chance to control them at times!

reopenguin #183417 Feb 18th, 2008 at 06:59 PM
i planted a blue girl rose last year, and it came out light pink!

dodge #183424 Feb 18th, 2008 at 07:04 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
clap clap

I am soooooooooooooo happy forrrrrrrrrrrrrr you. wavy

hmmmm do I sense sarcasm?? neener

reopenguin #183425 Feb 18th, 2008 at 07:06 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by reopenguin
i planted a blue girl rose last year, and it came out light pink!

Did you happen to buy it from Gurneys?
I got one too and it was sort of purplish not blue.
Every one says there is no such thing as a real blue rose.. It was to be grown in mostly shade and away from other roses......
However it did grow huh?

thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
reopenguin #183431 Feb 18th, 2008 at 07:10 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Invasive........Snow on the mountain......
I have another on cant think of the name..Thats flowers.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Pinkhorseofcourse #183433 Feb 18th, 2008 at 07:11 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
blush
No...........

Just acting crazy........ nono
We make no senses on here ..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #183444 Feb 18th, 2008 at 07:26 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
kissie

hehe ok.. I was just checking. thumbup

reopenguin #184202 Feb 20th, 2008 at 09:29 PM
Mommy Offline OP
OP Offline
I find that impatients can get really hard to control. Their seeds spread far and wide and you will be picking them out of your whole yard next year.

Mommy #184226 Feb 21st, 2008 at 05:57 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hey Mommmy

Maybe in your neck of the woods.....Up here they are treated with royality.
Everyone loves them and they freeze and dont come back.. Unless you have picked the seeds you replant or buy.

Not so............Never heard that..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #184309 Feb 21st, 2008 at 09:16 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
reopenguin

what did you get to plant, cudzu is about the ponly thing around here in arkansas that they can not get rid of.

here's a list
http://plants.usda.gov/java/noxious?rptType=State&statefips=05

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #185116 Feb 23rd, 2008 at 03:03 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I have to agree with Dodge here.. impatiens are wonderful flowers that I buy every year.. I WISH they would winter over.

Pinkhorseofcourse #185121 Feb 23rd, 2008 at 03:47 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
And I am going to prove it ..

Here is my New Gueny Impatient.blooming upstairs right now.. Love this love this all year round.Orange is my favorite...... :ding:

[Linked Image]

Dodge says so......... thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #185133 Feb 23rd, 2008 at 04:54 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
That is gorgeous Dodge!!

Pinkhorseofcourse #185141 Feb 23rd, 2008 at 05:21 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding:

Thanks .......As orange as they come.....
Those buggers are expensive..Something like $3.00 each last year.. My sister had a whole slew and this one lived..........She kills most plants.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #186380 Feb 26th, 2008 at 10:39 AM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wow.. that is pricey.. Was it just that color that was so expensive, or all the Impatiens?

Pinkhorseofcourse #186400 Feb 26th, 2008 at 11:27 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Yes............it i s.

Now I put your seeds out Yesterday Feb 25

You should have them by friday...........Unless the mail truck runs amock.. wavy

I planted brussells sprouts yesterday and today I see them breaking open.
Just lay them on top of the damp soil.. Not in the sun.

Last edited by dodge; Feb 26th, 2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: forgot

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #186406 Feb 26th, 2008 at 11:36 AM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
kissie Thank you so much!! I can't wait! And yeah, definitely by Friday.. if not sooner really.

Wow.. your sprouts are already breaking open?? shock That is amazing! haha hahaha.. you are funny!! Don't put them in the sun... haha hahaha WHAT sun???

What zone are you in?? I could just follow what you do.. hehe

Pinkhorseofcourse #186418 Feb 26th, 2008 at 12:33 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

Your welcome.........
I did put brussels in for you ..Just had enough for each of us..

My zone is 5 ......Same as yours I think.......
Glad to help.Just holler.

rose rose rose

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #186424 Feb 26th, 2008 at 01:20 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Cool.. I am anxious to try the Brussel Sprouts. Hmmm if you are zone 5 too.. isn't it a little early to start them.. or not? why

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,881
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image