Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi, folks.

This year I decided to go the seed route. I bought two trays of peat pellets and several packages of seed from John Scheepers. I know I started late. I live in central Indiana - zone 6, I believe.

3 varieties of tomato seeds (Husky Gold, Sweet Cluster, Super Sweet 100 Cherry)
Salad Bush Cucumber
Orange Sun Bell pepper
Jalisco Jalepeno Chili pepper
Rosemary
Garden Thyme
Dukat Dill
Gigante d'Italia Parsley
Sweet Broadleaf Basil

I planted each in the peat pellet according to the instructions on the back of the seed package - most were 3 per pellet except the cucumber. I put the lid on top and have placed a grow light above the "greenhouses". I don't have a sunny window that is big enough to support the trays or that receives enough light. I have not watered them again and no fertilization. There is condensation on top of the clear lids.

Am I even on the right track? Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been doing research and reading, but nothing replaces personal guidance.

Note: These plants will eventually find their home in containers on my deck. I don't have a "real" garden yet :(

Thanks!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

Thats a start..
I use lots of huge flower pots too.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
going good... I do still mist the pods. The pods seam to dry out even with the condensation on the lids. I started mine the 3rd week of march and there all about 4'' tall now. I also tip them over when they reach the top of the container. This allows another 6 inches of growth and they dont mind. They just grow the towards the window.
GOOD LUCK!!!

I love my garden
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
when i use the peat pellets, i bottom water daily or every other day as soon as i have leaves.

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
when i use the peat pellets, i bottom water daily or every other day as soon as i have leaves.

I think that's really important. You should probably always make sure there's a little water in the tray. Some people have great results from peat pellets, but my one attempt to use them was a disaster. The plants dried out before I realized it and they were gonners. Now I just use "six pack" seed cells and potting mix.

dave
OP Offline
UPDATE!

I have sprouted flwr

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Top: Cucumbers
Bottom (L-R) Thyme and Basil

I planted on 4/5/08. The cucumber and basil was scheduled to sprout between April 10 - 15. A day ahead! I was unsure about the thyme, but now I know.

I don't know if you can see on the cucumbers, but a few of them still remain about 1/2 intact seed. Is this normal?

I've been keeping the trays on my kitchen table with the grow light on for 12-16 hours/day. I rotate the trays to try and keep the light even among all of them.

I haven't watered yet, but after reading all your advice, I will do that now that I have greenery.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

That is great ..
Now remember if they are in direct sun, you better check them at least 3 times a day.. The sun really drys the little things out fast..

Hope your successful, nice to see another gardner.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I've grown seedlings in Jiffy pellets an d about half were gonners.

Waiting for fall...
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
why

How come?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Damping off & hot weather.

Waiting for fall...
OP Offline
Originally Posted by emdeGardener2
Damping off & hot weather.

It is interesting you mention this. There has been a peat pellet I've been curiously watching the past few days. It is in the dill row. A few of the others have sprouted, but this one seems to have an almost mossy surface to the pellet (circled in pink). I've been keeping the clear lids on since I sowed my seeds. I mist them everyday and there has been condensation collecting on the lid. Should I remove the pellet? Damping off?

[Linked Image]

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
When the seeds get a mossy surface, get rid of it.. They will not germinate.

That is the non germinating sign.
SOme are bad seed that does it .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,890
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image