Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Can we do a big thread with just recipes. Main courses, Desserts, cookies, Salads what have you.
I am trying to do my own recipe book, stuff that works and that I can make for hubby and bring as pot lucks etc. Its fun to share recipes in general and you guys were great with the Crocl pot ones.
clap :wink:

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I have a recipe for scones (fancy sweet biscuits).

SCONES

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In medium bowl,combine:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
Cut in 1/3 cup unsalted butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly.
Add 1 cup whipping cream stirring until just moistened.
Turn out dough onto lightly floured countertop;knead 5 or 6 times.pat into a 9 inch "pancake". With a knife, cut dough into 8 wedges. Place 2 inches apart onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.Brush scones with milk and sprinkle on some sugar.Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with preserves and whipped cream.
Yields 8 scones.

Enjoy! grin

Waiting for fall...
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Ditchy
Can we do a big thread with just recipes. Main courses, Desserts, cookies, Salads what have you.
I am trying to do my own recipe book, stuff that works and that I can make for hubby and bring as pot lucks etc. Its fun to share recipes in general and you guys were great with the Crocl pot ones.
clap :wink:

There has been a special place all along for recipes---but I see you are here now.

and FYI:

I too hve done what you are going to do. I bought one of those cheap white binders at Wal-mart (the ones yo can slip a piece of paper into so you can label the binder??

I bought sheet protecters as well. I then type up my desired recipes, print them out, and put them into a protector and then into the binder. This way my "recipe book" can be laid flat open, and my recipes can be wiped off, in case I make a mess while baking.

(If you type up the recipes they are easier to read, and you can make the print as big as you want/need.

Good luck.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Yup thats exactly what I want to do..
Carol I was not sure, it seemed there were alot of different recipes and others all strewed out.
You can have this closed if you want. I was thinking one thread. and easy to print up the whole dang thing. But do not want to cause a problem.
Yumm the scones is a perfect treat for Christmas. Sounds great.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
emde: that does sound like a wonderful tasting basic scone recipe.

Thanks.

but a question--have you ever added things to the basic recipe??

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
These are excellent. They freeze very well, just be sure they're completely cooled before putting them in a freezer bag. We usually make a batch (for me about 30 pancakes about 5" in diameter), eat some, freeze the rest, and then microwave whatever we want for breakfast the rest of the week.

BUTTERMILK HOT CAKES

Makes a lot of pancakes, big or small

6 eggs, separated
1 tsp baking soda
2 C buttermilk
½ C cream
3 C flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp butter, melted, plus more for serving
Pure maple syrup (or your favorite—see recipe in Basics section)

Beat egg yolks until light. Combine baking soda with buttermilk and beat into eggs with cream. Combine flour with baking powder and beat into yolk mixture until smooth. Stir in melted butter. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold gently into batter. Drop batter onto hot greased griddle and cook until cakes are lightly browned on both sides, turning only once. Serve hot with butter and syrup.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
we don't mind general threads. usually, we have one that is your thanksgiving menu. with links to the individual recipes, and/or the recipe in the topic.

i'll put a favorite recipe here. it isn't mine (too much work) but is my daughter's. it is what she cooks for special occasions.

//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240189#Post240189
1 pk boneless chicken (i'm lazy, it's better if you are willing to bone the chicken)
onion, salt, pepper, other seasonings to taste
5-6 potatoes like you would use to make mashed potatoes
butter (or margarine, 1-2 sticks)
1-2 cans creme of chicken soup
mushrooms if you like them
bisquick or comparable baking mix
oil
eggs
milk.

boil chicken and seasonings in enough water until tender
lift chicken out of pan, and place peeled, diced potatoes in chicken stock. let cook while you prepare the crepes. (i cook it on med-low for this)

to make the crepes, follow the crepe recipe from bisquick. i'll look it up and post it later. it is basically a very runny pancake batter. using a nonstick pan (i use a 12-14" t-fal pan), pour 1/4-1/3 c batter in pan, swirl around pan to thin out. turn when edges start to curl. heat other side, put on plate and make the next one. this is the most labor intensive part of the meal.

when crepes are all done, dice chicken back into the potatoes, and add the mushrooms if you like mushrooms. drain the potato mix, reserving the liquid.

put the creme of chicken soup in a pan to heat, adding 1/2-1 can of the liquid from the potatoes to the soup. stir until smooth.

1/2-1 stick of butter to the potato mixture, and mash the potatoes with a hand masher or the back of a large spoon. you want the mix pasty and lumpy (the chicken and mushrooms will ensure that). add reserved liquid as necessary to get a good lumpy mashed potato consistency.

place a large tablespoon or two of potato mix in a line on a crepe. roll up. place 2-3 crepes on a plate, ladle sauce over them, serve.

we usually have corn with ours, but any veggie works.

enjoy.

Last edited by Jiffymouse; Oct 25th, 2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added link to main recipe
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i should have said that she picked that as her favorite from what i cooked at home. we do make them here too. and, if you need a way to make someone feel like they have eaten more meat than they have (think large family or lots of guests) you can add as many potatoes as you need. by cooking the potatoes in the chicken stock, it gives the illusion of being meatier. and using the chicken stock to thin the canned soup makes it go farther too.

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
This is just plain fun to make. The cornmeal in the crust gives it an excellent texture and flavor. If you have kids there're plenty of ways to involve them in the making of it and they'll be surprised how much better it is than store bought frozen. Healthier, too, because you choose exactly what you want on it. And cold for breakfast... . Yum.

PIZZA

DOUGH

1 package dry active yeast
¼ C warm water
2 Tbsp plus extra pinch sugar
1 C hot water
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
2/3 C corn meal
2 ½ C flour
Olive oil (for greasing bowl)

Dissolve yeast in warm water and sprinkle with extra pinch sugar. Let foam. Combine hot water, 2 Tbsp sugar, salt, and olive oil. Add corn meal and foamy yeast. Stir in flour. Knead on floured surface for 5 minutes. Place in bowl greased with additional olive oil and turn dough to coat entire surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Meanwhile prepare topping.

TOPPING

2 8 oz cans tomato sauce (or homemade)
1 ½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp dried leaf oregano, crushed
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
2 lbs ground beef, bulk pork sausage (hot is especially good) or Italian sausage (sweet or hot ,casings removed)
½ C yellow onion, chopped
2 C shredded cheese (any variety—use your imagination)
Sliced cheese (any variety)

Combine tomato sauce, ½ tsp salt, pepper, oregano, and Worchestershire sauce and set aside. Brown beef or sausage until cooked completely and no longer pink. Drain off fat and stir in remaining 1 tsp salt.

FINAL ASSEMBLY AND BAKING

Preheat oven to 400o. Divide risen dough in half and spread out over 2 lightly greased (with olive oil) 12 inch pizza pans (aluminum throwaway makes clean up easy). Pour half of tomato sauce mixture over each pizza and spread evenly to edge. Top each pizza with half the meat and onions. Bake 25 minutes. Sprinkle each pizza with 1 C shredded cheese and top with sliced cheese cut into ½ inch strips. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes longer.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
1k Posts
1k Posts
I've always made basic scones-never added anything into them.

Waiting for fall...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,898
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image