Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bill_N Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi All,
I've recently moved to a row house in the city, well 2 years ago but am just now getting around to actually dealing with my new garden.
I have spent the last two years mostly doing some basic site preparation, building and restoring beds and getting some of the existing plants back to healthy.
This spring I want to get in and make some progress on the garden, but I face three big challenges,
1. Most of my experience is with large food gardens, 1/2+acre at the house I grew up in.

2. We have very little light in the current garden, it is currently in partial to full shade and if I took out all the scrub trees I could only get to the bright end of partial shade.

3. Space, The garden is divided in to four beds, the largest and brightest is less than 4x8ft of concrete and rock bound bed, the smallest is a strip 6"x8ft along a fence line that would be good for tomatoes or peas if I could get more light, right now it gets full afternoon sun, but is dark the rest of the day.

I am thinking I can either try and go with a shade garden, mosses, dwarf maples, bluebells, ferns etc...
or try to get as much light in as I can and cultivate a food garden using woody plants like blueberries, and black/rasberries along the fence and use the bright spots for some summer veggies.

Any thoughts, input, ideas, advice will be welcome.

Many thanks,
Bill N.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome to a friendly place.
It sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and study already. What I hear you asking is should you make more light as you can in your gardens or not. And that is really up to you. But it sounds to me as though your heart is really into the edibles. I think they need more labor than the shade plants that you listed above. Are you looking for low maintenance? Retirement and long vacations? Would you get the fruits of you labors if you grew your berries and vegetables?
Whatever you decide, please stick around and share your experiences with us.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
10k Posts
10k Posts

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Bill--

Welcome!

From your description, it sounds like this is the "back" yard. If so, is there a possibility of using the front yard (maybe including a porch if there's one) for fruits & veggies? As you know, many veggies are lovely plants in their own right.

Marica

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,898
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image