Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#23561 Apr 16th, 2007 at 12:40 AM
OP Offline
i have this stuped bambo growing in my garden i can kill it for anything iv tryed diging it up but it keeps coming back it looks like it is coming from under my house to how can i get rid of this thing and kill what garden i have left i though maby if i just planted a buntch of mums thy wouled choke it out but its not working did just the opiset and now i dont know if my mums will come back up this year and i have one butterfly bush in ther to please help!

1k Posts
1k Posts
you must keep removing it.

you may try cutting it and treating the wounded stems with round up to try and kill the roots.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

RugbyHukr #25734 Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:42 AM
OP Offline
i have tryed all kinda things im afred to use round up it might kill the other plaints i have in ther

1k Posts
1k Posts
don't spray it. mix a solution and apply it to cut stalks using rubber gloves and sponge.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

RugbyHukr #26167 Apr 18th, 2007 at 10:42 PM
OP Offline
when does the bambo start coming up the only thing coming up in my garden is my columbine my buterfly bush is not turing green yet my mums arnt coming up yet

OP Offline
i was thinking what if i do what you said but insted of round -up what if i use bleach i wonder if thet wouled work the same

It can take at least two years of constant shoot cutting to rid yourself of bamboo. You have to starve the plant to eradicate it.

What type of foundation do you have?

herbalyn #29348 Apr 23rd, 2007 at 12:26 PM
OP Offline
i have a dirt foundation i dig it all out yesterday i dug 3 4' deep holes and found some really big roots i pulled waht i couled the problim was it keep braking off really easy so i had to dig more after the 4' deep hole i gave up i just coulednt dig no more im hoping that kills it i did get some really long root that came out from under the house and it looks like i got all of it but i still have at least one root reayy deep in ther i have other plants in ther so and seeds coming up so i cant realy starve it out i was thinking of geting root killer but i dont want to kill the 4 plaints i have left it killed all but 1 mum and my butterfly bush looks dead but i put that back in hoping it will come back i had 15 mums now i have 1 my columbine survived

Yikes! You must have sore arms today. You are starving the plant when you dig out roots and remove all parts above the soil. Sounds like you have a good start on the bamboo. Round-up isn't very successful at killing bamboo.

Butterfly bush is a late blooming plant. Did its roots look healthy? Give it some time to adjust from being replanted.

If the mums were planted last fall they may not have been in the ground long enough to grow a root system to get them thru the winter. In Mi, for mums to be perennial they have to be planted in late spring, pinched back and kept watered.

herbalyn #29522 Apr 23rd, 2007 at 06:17 PM
OP Offline
ohh my arms and leggs and back the mums wher put in early fall thats what i was thinking to

the butterfly was put in the same time the roots looked ok it said to prun off the dead in spring so i did but now i have only 3" stems i hop i dint mess it up!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image