Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#264152 Feb 20th, 2009 at 05:22 PM
gwhalh Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm thinking about making up a little ID booklet for the kids in my daughter's class. I would only include the birds seen most in our area. Thought it might be a pretty neat project to work on for the next Backyard Bird Count. It might get the kids interested.

Any thoughts or ideas on this? Thorn? Is there possibly already something similar out there?

Annette

gwhalh #264155 Feb 20th, 2009 at 06:09 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
There could be, Annette. There are probably about 200 species of birds in your area in the course of the year. Contact your local Game and Fish Commission. They will probably have a Non-game Animal / Endangered Species department that have all sorts of goodies about birds in your area. We here in Nashville Tennessee have pretty much the same species of birds that you do there. My contact was Bob Hatcher, head of the Non-game species for the state of Tennessee and an old friend of the family. He has since retired, but stays active in birding.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #264156 Feb 20th, 2009 at 06:13 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Annette, Feeder birds and yard birds would probably be the best to do a booklet on, because they are the easiest birds for the kids to see. All the kids have to do is set up a feeder and, VOILA, these birds magically appear to feed. Use any of my photos you want.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #264180 Feb 21st, 2009 at 05:33 AM
gwhalh Offline OP
OP Offline
That's what I was thinking....the feeder/yard birds. I set up a new feeder yesterday and the birds found it almost immediately! I had a couple of tufted titmice and the mom and dad bluebirds out there yesterday evening. Didn't see any of the "youngsters" like I did last weekend. HA! They are ut there right now again! I'm glad I put up the new feder where I can see it from my computer!

I am also looking for a very simple birdfeeder design that the kids could maybe make in class one day so that they wouldn't have to go out and buy one. I think I've seen one somewhere made out of a gallon jug that would be easy enough for the kids.

Thanks for the offer to use your photos! They are really good ones, and I'll be sure to credit you if I do use them! LOL I'll even send you a copy if you want!

Annette

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,926
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image