Rate Thread
#290942 Jul 27th, 2009 at 03:35 AM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Well it finally dried up some yesterday and I wanted to mow the lawn, I started on one side and REalized that there are Hundreds of Baby toads all over! I am not kidding, Tiny little darling things scrambling around trying to get out of my way. TINY I tell you, I could not stand it, ITs impossible to avoid them all, and I ran over one. UGH I know I am weird, but I am so happy to see all those babies, I cant stand losing any. I know other things will eat them, but Its to traumatic to try and avoid the little darlings, I guess the grass will have to get a bit longer, I gave up. egad

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #290943 Jul 27th, 2009 at 06:13 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh, Kim. I couldn't do it either. The grass would have to grow is all there is to it. Congrats! with all of those toads you have a much smaller pesky bug population.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Ditchy #290980 Jul 27th, 2009 at 05:21 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by Ditchy
I know I am weird, but I am so happy to see all those babies,

I do not think you are in the least bit weird, Ditchy! I would not be able to just mow as if nothing was there, either.

Do you have any idea how long it will take for the crowd to happily move along its way?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #290989 Jul 27th, 2009 at 06:29 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
KIm: You are a woman after my own heart--if my own heart mowed grass-- lol
But thanks so much for saving the baby froggies. That is so sweet of you!!!! clap

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #291013 Jul 28th, 2009 at 03:31 AM
Ditchy Offline OP
Digger
500 Posts
OP Offline
Digger
500 Posts
Thanks guys, my husband thinks I am an idiot! LOL
I managed to mow all but the big front piece where they are concentrated. The ones I did encounter, I herded, I took the mower off self propelled and went really slow and let them hop out of the way. I trained my eyes on movement, and did not hit a one. I scooped up several and placed them in my flower beds. The front well, it needs to grow there more anyway.
They are so darling, and scared, trying to hop over the long blades of grass, I was exhausted after I mowed what I did, Stress! I cant help it. I love Toadies. luv If anyone heard me they would have locked me up..
[i][Look out sweetie, move along./i] Glad other critter lovers understand! And yes I know the bugs are going to be less. I owe my garden friends safety. I did see the big papa or mama yesterday, Good producer! grin

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #291052 Jul 28th, 2009 at 04:33 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Aww, I would have love to have seen all those baby toadies. I wouldn't be able to run them over either. It was funny when I read your original post though, you talked about it being dry enough to mow the lawn, around here we don't wait for it to be dry enough, we just mow as necessary. See, there are other people out there who are weirder than you (btw, I don't think you're weird at all).

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
chermoni #291125 Jul 29th, 2009 at 03:44 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
We're all weird. That's why we get along so well. :ding:

I wouldn't run over them either. It's horrible to even think about. Are they still hanging out in your yard?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,898
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image