Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#292444 Aug 14th, 2009 at 09:10 AM
OP Offline
Hello,

This is the first year I've planted Brandywine tomatoes. I planted regular Pink and Suddeth-strain. Both are fully ripe and delicious. I'm in the process of saving the seeds, but I've noted one strain has normal sized yellow seeds and the other has smaller green seeds.

Historically, I've discarded green seeds with other tomato varieties (thinking they are immature) but I don't know if green seeds with these Brandywines are normal.

Can anyone provide any expertise?

Thank you in advance,

Steve

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
The true Brandywine is pink, and Sudduth's is the original Brandywine, are the fruits basically identical? Do they both have the (quote) potato Leaf foliage?
Any mature fruit's seed should be mature and viable. If you want to be sure you have Brandywine seed, save the Sudduth's. If you like them both, save both, if you're convinced there's any difference other than seed appearance, it may not mean too much. Brandywine has been spread far and wide and many totally unrelated fruits have been deemed "Brandywine" for, most likely, the commercial appeal of that name. Red BW, for instance, has no relation to the true, Sudduth's BW, there are now yellows, I believe even a green-when-ripe, none have any of the genetics of the original introduction. A great tomato is a great tomato, though, if the fruits differ, save seed from both and look forward to more great tomatoes next season.!!!

dave
OP Offline
Originally Posted by peppereater
The true Brandywine is pink, and Sudduth's is the original Brandywine, are the fruits basically identical? Do they both have the (quote) potato Leaf foliage?
Any mature fruit's seed should be mature and viable. If you want to be sure you have Brandywine seed, save the Sudduth's. If you like them both, save both, if you're convinced there's any difference other than seed appearance, it may not mean too much. Brandywine has been spread far and wide and many totally unrelated fruits have been deemed "Brandywine" for, most likely, the commercial appeal of that name. Red BW, for instance, has no relation to the true, Sudduth's BW, there are now yellows, I believe even a green-when-ripe, none have any of the genetics of the original introduction. A great tomato is a great tomato, though, if the fruits differ, save seed from both and look forward to more great tomatoes next season.!!!

Thank you for your expertise, Dave.

Yes, the leaves look identical but I will say the "Brandywine Pink" is a bit more rounder than the Suddeth. My wife and I have never tasted Brandywines, but we are marvelling at the very sweet taste of the Sudduth.

The other "Brandywine Pink" is almost as sweet but has strong, spicy/peppery aftertaste. Not a sour tang, but pepper-like. It works great in our homemade salsa. This variety is the one with the smaller green colored seeds.

So that's my question: is the spicy/peppery aftertaste and green colored seeds mean the tomato is immature? It certainly doesn't look like it...

My ONLY complaint is neither types are big fruiters. Contrast that to my Amish Paste...they fruit like grapes on a vine.

Thank you again,

Steve

Last edited by stevenkh; Aug 14th, 2009 at 08:55 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,985
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image