Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
childcare concerns can be brutal and stressful. I'm glad you have something temporarily set up, jessica.
day care is so expensive, and I was never completly comfortable with my young ones spending hours on end in a wee bitty room with all that many other kids. I'd get stressed out from all the noise and comotion just picking them up and dropping off. of course kids don't seem to mind all that mess as much as adults. it's so good your little ones can stay at home or at least in anothers home with more room and less kids. they are blessed.
I was sicker than a dog yesterday, so I'm cleaning today too. what a mess things can get by skipping just one day! I have two loads on the line that should be done. better go get them before they turn into jerky.
yea, good thing tina you didn't mention about going out to ted. I'm like that with my kids. I never tell them about going anywhere until I'm ready to shoe up. it is just too dissapointing for them when plans about going somewhere changes.
enjoy your lazy day, cheryl.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Originally Posted by chermoni
You're one of those busy weekend people too?

I don't like to be one of those busy weekend people but unfortunately we are gone so much that I have to get as much done as I can when we are home. We spend most of our weekends at one get together or another and we both work full time during the week that it doesn't leave much time to get the housework done. I hurry and get it done and then I am lazy. lol

Some us of adults were in that jumpy thing, Tina. notme

Cricket....it is nice to have this kind of daycare right now but unfortunately it is most likely temporary. Unless she changes her mind on that which would be fantastic but we will see!

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Sorry to complain about my daycare situation all the time. It is just on my mind a lot. I don't like to be a complainer.

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
That's what we're here for, to listen to you vent. Venting is good for us, better than bottling up. You're not a complainer at all. As far as being a busy weekend person, I know what you mean about not having time. I work full time too but the thing that saves me is that we have 3 kids that are all old enough to clean house. They are the ones who do the dishes after dinner and they are the ones who clean up the house, after all they do make the most mess. When they are at their mom's we don't really do much to dirty the house so there really isn't a whole for me to do. When something needs a really good deep cleaning though, that's all me. I don't trust the kids to clean to my standards for that kind of thing.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
I get what you are saying. Tristen is only 7 so I am lucky if I can get him to do a good cleaning in his room. I usually have to go in after he is done and straighten things up a bit. He tries though. He likes to help me wash dishes. I usually let him rinse but have to watch what he is doing because he doesn't get all the soap off a lot of times. He is learning though.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It is good you have Tristen helping out. I started helping by cleaning the bathroom tub and sink at the age of 4 (not a big problem if a little cleanser is left behind for the next user to rinse down). I also washed dishes at about 5. Dishes were in turns with my sibs.
You are not whining about your childcare issues. You are discussing one of the major things going on in the country right now. It is on every parent's (of younger children) mind. Venting here is good.
With John gone and Jonni working a lot and socializing most the rest of the time, I could use a little help with Ted. He doesn't really need a sitter so much as someone in earshot in case of emergency. He doesn't speak and doesn't use the phone. So I don't go very far or very long away from him. I don't want to reel Jonni in too often from her busy-ness. That wouldn't be fair to her.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by plantqueen

Cricket....it is nice to have this kind of daycare right now but unfortunately it is most likely temporary. Unless she changes her mind on that which would be fantastic but we will see!

I did it both ways with my kidos, day care and babysitters at our house or theres. ALL of it was hard on me! I'm a very easy going person, but like most mom's, when it came to my kids, NO ONE could do it 'right'. at least that is the way I felt. I stated earlier how I disliked the day care situation. but, I had just as many concerns with the more one on one care of a sitter situaton. It's tough times when your young is young, but you gotta do what you gotta do. hang in there. it will all work out.
I'm glad mine are 12 and 9. they can stay alone for certain periods of time, and I'm good with it. don't even worry about complaining about your child care situation! like someone said earlier. that is what were here for! and your NOT complaining. your venting.

Cricket

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Afternoon,
Okay we got the school supply list for Joseph done... only 2 stores so it wasn't to bad... why do kids need those fancy calculators that cost so much- I told him this is the last one I am buying - one was stolen last yr and on he lost... told him to mark it inside with his name and student id #.
I got a couple loads done, cleaned my tub upstairs too... gave Mom a treat of icecream so she is happy at the moment... now I need to finish the laundry- and iron tonight...going to bake tomorrow in the morning too for the freezer- treats for lunches... had a bunch of coupons and mixes were on sale a couple weeks ago... so much cheaper that way... and I have some bananas to make muffins with too... kids like those- next week I am buying a bunch of sweet potatos to cook up and pureee to add to the choc mixes .. adds lots of moistness and use less oil- lots of vitamins added too and they have yet to notice....
Nana

[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
such a good nana you are nana! I did similiar stuff when I was at home with my own kidos for a year or so. they ate very nutrious and never noticed!
I quit my job on friday, so between now and when I go back to work I can do that sort of thing once again. thumbup
hubby and kidos took off to the lake again. I'm alone! bop even though I enjoy my alone time I wish I could go with them. my alergies have just been SO sensitive the past 6-8 months. I keep my self inside. (not easy for an outdoors girl) If I would have went I'd be laid up all day tomorrow. this stinks! but, I AM alone! Me likey that! thumbup I think I may just run through the house naked with sizzors while eating crackers and peanut butter!

Last edited by cricket; Aug 23rd, 2009 at 02:44 PM.

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Smart thinking on the sweet potatoes, Nana. My kids used to think they were about the luckiest on the street because the got things like cookies and muffins for breakfast. They did know the good stuff was in there but they didn't mind at all.
I am sorry about your job, Cricket. I hope something better floats your way soon.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
I am sorry about your job, Cricket. I hope something better floats your way soon.

I hope so too. I was getting into a compromising he!!, with the boss. even though jobs are hard to come by theses days, sometimes you gotta cut the rope before you get so tied up in it you can't get out. (cut the rope and drop just a dozen feet before you end up 100 feet off the ground, ya know)

So what's for supper? I haven't cooked all day. we've all been just snacking. guess I should get something going so hub and kids have something nice to eat when they get back from the lake. it's been so dry here the lake is horrible looking!...stagnet (sp?) I'll be pouring the peroxide in the ears when they get back for sure.

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I just had a bowl of ice cream with choc syrup. Might have been my dinner. It is Nana's fault because she mentioned it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
did anyone have to 'register' their kids to ride a school bus this year?

I saw 'bus registration' on a sign in town, but that's all it said except for a date and maybe a time. a few days later, I went on the schools web site looking for something else and saw a link to 'bus registration'. I clicked on it, but my lovely 8 yr old computer locked up so I still didn't know what 'bus registration' was.
last week we went to 'meet the teacher' night at the school. I asked one of the teachers what she knew about 'bus registration'. she said she had never heard that term before.
I get a postcard from the bus barn today saying 'we have no record of your child being 'registered' for the bus. pls contact us if our records are incorrect'.????
I'm calling them tomorrow. but, what the heck?
we've never had to 'register' to ride the bus?
the bus comes down the street at a certain time. the kids get on.
simple enough.

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The schools here do the registering, although the bus company does send a rules thing in the mail for us to read and sign and return to the school on the first day. It covers behavior and consequences on the bus.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
we've always gotten the rules and behavior contract too. the kids bring it home on the first day of school along with about a 100 other forms I have to fill out and sign.
this postcard in the mail saying we're not registered is a first. It makes me wonder if they will even pick up my kidos?
I'll call them tomorrow. but, school starts on tuesday. this is strange to me!

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Ted starts on Tuesday too but I am his driver (reimbursed). You better get on the ball. i bet they sent out something about the new bus reg that you missed. My problem with my oldest son was he hated carrying papers home. Then he would whine about missing sign-ups for sports. Well...... tapfoot

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I hear ya, tina!
I'm calling them in the a.m. and getting the scoop.

I'm out to do some watering. It's a bit too early (6pm here and the sun doesn't go down tll 8:30) but EVERYTHING needs a good soaking. start in the shade and go from there, right.

I have blooms on my 'fall' squash. it's still so hot here, I'm amazed they've even set blooms. and almost half of my tomatoe cuttings, for 'fall tomatoes' are staying alive. clap time will tell if I get anything to eat before our first freeze. seeds are cheap. Me is experimenting wildly. thumbup running a-muck and taking notes.
wish me luck.

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I laid down 3 different times today. Not needing a real nap just a stretch out in front of the fan. Between I go out and move a sprinkler or come in and put clean linens on a bed or something. Now I'm waiting also for the cool down before full dark so I can make more piles of stuff to be hauled again. My former piles have been removed. It took them several trips in the small truck. It would have taken me 3 or 4 in my larger flatbed but a lot more work including lifting it up so far into the bed. It is pretty high up for a truck. I am glad I have so much help.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Whew!

Kat's wedding is a done deal! She was/is beautiful. It was lovely.

I'll check back in soon!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
if you are stil thee WOW!! it is over already??/--do we at least get to see a photo of the bride & groom???

and I just LOVE a good wedding--(and no there is not a bad one to my notion)

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It is barely after 8:30 and I am bushed. Good night all. I will see everyone tomorrow.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good night, Tina--Sweet dreams. wavy

________

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Good night Carol Jean and Tina, sweet dreams to you both.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good night, Cheryl. sweet dreams to you as well. wavy

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I have been up for a whole cup and ready for a second one now. I have water going and the news is telling me that the weather is to get hotter, more like our usual August than it has been. I am not looking forward to that much at all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Good morning! wavy

The new babysitter came this morning and Tristen is excited. She worked at our daycare center that closed so we are all familiar with her which helps a lot. Hopefully all goes well today.

Tina...hope you stay cool.

Cricket....bummer about your allergies. Being cooped up in the house gets old real fast.

I'm back to work today. It was nice to have the extra days off.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I hope this works out for you, Jessica.
I have been out creating more piles. Now I am needing to go out son and do a few things in the real world. I haven't been out since Friday I think.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Thanks Tina! I hope it works out too!

Good luck on your shopping trip, Tina. Are you going to McDonald's today? That is Tristen's favorite place to eat. lol

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Kat & Tony
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I hope Bill got some rest. I know he was working, trying to put the forum back together.
That is a wonderful photo of your daughter on such a special day, Marica. Congrats to you all!
I missed it all here while the site was down. But the good thing was that I got a lot done yesterday. My breaks didn't last so long as usual without being able to log in and catch up here. I worked out in the heat of the day and everything. I made huge piles that were swooped away for me.
Today is Ted's first day of school. So I need to run him down into the valley and then have some business to do down there. And I am hoping the helper guy I want to hire shows up to begin the cleanup I want done too. Then more town business before I collect my son from school again. We will see how the day goes.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Good morning! Very nice picture, Marica. Beautiful bride and a nice looking groom too. Congrats!

Sounds like you are busy as ever, Tina. Get some rest in.

I missed the forum yesterday too. I guess I got a lot more work done. lol

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I always pencil in a nap, Jessica. So I have the time even if I don't take one.
Off to school now. The Tedster is up and ready. Lunch is packed as well as his backpack and in the car.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Hope Ted has a good first day of school!

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Morning..
So glad we are back... was having a few withdrawl symptoms though the bug I had kind of took presedence and kept me sleeping on and off yesterday... not a fun day at all..never even got dressed ... so far feel much better today.
It's our second day of school.. Nicoli's first day and hopefully he feels good enough to go- they all have a virus of some kind- he felt bad yesterday... Joe is taking them to school today except for Nicoli- Mom has to stay with him for the first day...
Well off to get Mom's breakfast and get my shower in-- have an appt to get my nails done today too so need to get it moving ... even if it is slow.
Nana

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am glad you are a little better today, Nana. I hope you kicked it all out of your system yesterday.
I have a helper here today. I do wish I could communicate better. He is doing an awesome job but too well. I will have to pay him more for the extra. But that will be worth it, I'm sure. And I don't want to have to be here to watch him and make him uncomfortable. Nor can I. Much more to do in town today for me before I pick up Ted from school.
A funny thing. Ted has a new teacher this year, an older man who is pretty cool and not new to the school. He taught Ted during summer session. So I was chatting with him this morning and he said he couldn't hear well. I guess his dogs chewed up his hearing aids. I got a good laugh from that. That is usually a classic excuse that students give their teachers for no homework.
I have told Jonni's teachers over the years that if Jonni ever came in and said her little brother ate her homework, it was probably true. She managed to keep it all away from him so never needed the excuse. But he was a paper eater.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have a bunch of those little golden books that are half eaten. Cardboard covers and all. They used to be a gourmet treat for him. I still have a tough time keeping him from eating toilet paper. He will steal a whole roll and munch away.
He and my oldest daughter were paper. I and my youngest daughter were dirt eaters. Late enough in life that I can remember doing it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Speaking of Golden books reminds me of something I read just a few weeks ago. Sorry I don't have the references but here's the story as I remember it.

Turns out after the lead-toy-China business a year or two ago, a bill was passed with specific lead tolerance levels for pretty much all stuff kids come into contact-- including books. Lead ink was voluntarily phased out beginning in the mid-70s, but no one knows for sure when it ceased being used in kids books. So... all books published before 1985 (give or take) are now off-limits. Meaning that booksellers and used book stores are supposed to *destroy* all children's books published before then, unless they can show that the lead level is below the tolerance level (which costs a huge amount of $$ to do).

It's a little known news item. I personally think it's a pile of crapola. I do not believe I have any neural development disorders b/c I read old kids books printed with lead ink. (I liked eating paste, not paper!) Nor do my kids, nor my parents, ... .

So-- I will continue to buy up every old kids book I can find at yard sales & junk stores.

And now... off to see what John is up to. We are closing in on moving day! Whoohooo!!

[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Congrats on moving day, Marica. Interesting about the lead ink. I never even thought about it. But I think all of Ted's eaten books were post 1985, I hope.
My hillside is sparkling clean and Jose is not even finished yet. I told him it didn't need to get done in a single day. I am thrilled down to my toes.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
paste was a favorite of mine! my daughter ate rocks, my son...well, he has always just ate everything in site, but nothing unusual.

I'm waiting on a neighbor to come down, so I can cut his hair. if he doesnt show soon, he'll have to wait till another day. my blinks are getting long!

Cricket

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Rocks are hard on the teeth and the intestines, Cricket.
We are to have several days topping 100*. I am trying not to cringe because we have had a wonderful August.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image