Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#311999 Apr 6th, 2010 at 07:44 AM
rinrin Offline OP
OP Offline
I "rescued" this Dendrobium Orchid from the clearance rack a couple weeks ago.

I didn't know anything about this type, although I have a Phal that's doing very well. So I figured it was worth a shot at saving, since there were green leaves emerging.

This is what it looked like when I got it, it was SO cramped in that tiny little container! I read they like to be cramped, but looking at the roots I didn't think this was a suitable container in this case.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I re-potted it yesterday, into a 4-in orchid pot and used the original moss mixed with an orchid mix. I discarded the parts that were rotted and the yellow leaf. I kept every piece that appeared to have green emerging.

[Linked Image]

Is there anything else I can do for this poor little thing? Do you think there is a chance for recovery here?

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Looks like you done well, the green is a good color, it should continue growing.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
What a luckly, little plant. Repotting and removing dead leaves can do wonders for a plant. It looks like its doing fine and will thrive.

"When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice."
- Marquis de la Grange
rinrin Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guy, I'm anxious to see how this plant does over the summer. I guess I bought it at a good time, so it can have all summer to recover.

I'm hoping it does well. You should have seen the roots though. I didn't want to cut any away because they all looked so dried up and dead that I couldn't even see a healthy area. I figured just leave it all and give it some time.

Even on a healthy plant, the roots can look pretty "ugly" and dried up. So I think it was a good idea to leave those alone. Otherwise, he looks so much better! Way to go. That must make you feel really good. And I am sure your plant is loving you, too! Best of luck!

rinrin Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by MamaSan
Even on a healthy plant, the roots can look pretty "ugly" and dried up. So I think it was a good idea to leave those alone. Otherwise, he looks so much better! Way to go. That must make you feel really good. And I am sure your plant is loving you, too! Best of luck!

Is that with this type of Orchid? Where the roots look like that? I'm glad I left them! Most things I read said to cut off any that appeared dead or rotted.

It does make me feel good, Orchids are so beautiful and it's a challenge to get them going in the right direction after this much neglect. I don't want to shock the poor thing, but should I fertilize it at all, this year? I would imagine that's it's conditions have improved so much with just re-potting that it might not be a good idea right now.

Wait a bit before fertilizing. Let it recover completely befor fertiizing it. Maybe just give it a shot or two of fertilizer just to boost it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,890
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image