Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#326040 Jul 26th, 2010 at 04:45 PM
scheda Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey all you gardeners!

My name's Chris and I've been looking for a gardening forum for a few days now... This looks like a great one.

I just recently got into gardening in the last few months, and have built up a considerable number of plants... Maybe about 130 since then.

I've got all sorts of things - mostly edible.

Cucumbers, pumpkins, watermelon, chillis, peppers, squash, tobacco, cantelope, honey dew melon, and a whole lot more.

Anyway, my biggest problem so far is the heat. My plants in the backyard get a LOT of sun all day, and it's been really hot the past two months... so they've suffered a bit.

I built a little "shader" out of a tarp and some PVC, and that's helped a whole lot, but it's not enough to completely cut out the heat issues.

So anyway, this is where I'm at right now. A beginner who's read a lot and experimented a little and has a LOT to learn still.

Looking forward to getting to know plenty of you!

scheda Offline OP
OP Offline
Also, here are a few pics of what I'm growing right now.

A watermelon I'm growing in a grow box I built.
[Linked Image]

Some plants that I germed a few days ago and put into cups two days ago. (Except the peppers, those were bought today)
[Linked Image]

Up close pepper. [Linked Image]

And some pumpkins. Today all the leaves with the fungus got chopped off and thrown away. Tomorrow they're getting a little soap/water spritz to keep all the ants off them... They're really bad down here lately.
[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome Chris. It looks like you are off to a running start on your gardens.
I have had heat/sun issues with some producing plants in the past. I have also built a shade for some things to help them out in our strong California desert sun. But I used shade cloth instead of a tarp. A tarp will shade but hold more heat in. Shade cloth allows heat to escape more easily and still cools. It might be a thought to keep in mind in the future, near or far.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
scheda Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Tina! I was curious to know what "the norm" was for making shade.

I'm guessing I can pick something like that up at a local nursery?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, or Home Depot or Lowes.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi and welcome..you've got a great start thumbup

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
scheda Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks grin

Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
Glad you found this forum. Theres a good bunch of friendly expertise here. Thanks for sharing your photos Its cool to see what other people are trying.

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
when are you planning on putting your plants out? Will they be put in the ground or moved to bigger containers?

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! It is nice to meet you!

You've made a wonderful start so far and I think your peppers are quite beautiful.

Along with the shade cloth, you may want to try a fan also. Don't laugh! I have friends in the south who use fans outdoors all the time and it works well -- of course you can't do that in the rain! Fans will keep the air moving and not allow extra heat to build up artificially under the shade device.

We tend to have the opposite problem up here, trying to devise ways to make the immediate area around the gardens warmer, especially at night for we cool off so much. Tomatoes don't do as well here as they do in more southerly areas where the nights stay hot.

Can't wait to see your garden's progress!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
scheda Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bestofour
when are you planning on putting your plants out? Will they be put in the ground or moved to bigger containers?

I've got a corner that I plan on digging up and filling with some sort of local dirt that a nursery would recommend. These guys will mostly be transplanted into a larger pot first, then once they're quite a bit bigger, they'll get transplanted into the ground when I think they can take the heat.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,887
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image