Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I will be getting a settlement from my divorce soon hopefully. I want to buy a nice mower. Currently we only have a persnickety, temperamental push mower. I have a large yard that has grown up into weeds.. and looks like it needs baled.. LOL

So, where do I start? I have no idea what brand or anything else that I want. And I am not even sure what my budget is for it.. I guess it just depends on what is out there. I thought about a zero turn, but I am not exactly sure we need one.

What do you have? Do you like it? If you were shopping for one again, what would you be looking for?

Thanks so much (in advance) for your help!!

wavy

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Hello dear--I hope that things begin to start looking up. kissie

here is my 2 cents worth:

We now have a John Deere riding mower(not a zero turn). It is a wonderful machine & my DH loves it. he says it makes his life so much easier.
the new are way expensive,
there are however, different sizes & the smaller the less expensive they are.
WE DID NOT buy ours new.
But when buying used anything I would have a trusted friend go over it for you-to double check it.
a dealer is always a good place to buy used--they will be less likely to sell you old used up junk.

WE first had a Sears riding lawn mower. (whatever brand they make) MY DH hated it (I do not remember why) but it ran well for 12 years, before he sold it.

DO NOT under ANY circumstances buy a Yard Man (bright yellow & green) the deck does not come off so it can be cleaned easily, and it consistantly leaves a 1 to 2 inch swath of uncut grass between rows, no matter what you do. I also think they do not cut too evenly.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
[quote=JunieGirl
DO NOT under ANY circumstances buy a Yard Man (bright yellow & green) the deck does not come off so it can be cleaned easily, and it consistantly leaves a 1 to 2 inch swath of uncut grass between rows, no matter what you do. I also think they do not cut too evenly. [/quote]

Whatsa mattah, Carol Jean-girl? why You don't like that zebra stripe w/ the two inch swath created every couppla feet across your yard? haha

neener

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I have the cheapest red MTD(from Wal-Mart)that can be found and I love it, it's not a zero turn and the deck can't come off but for $800(that's the cheapest you can buy any sit-down here) it cuts amazingly. I just turn the water hose on high and spray under the deck real well and all the grass clumps fall out..I then just scoop them in a bucket.

I'd definitely buy another.

Mind you I had to take sick with heat stroke to get this one lol

Best thing we have ever spent out tax return on thumbup

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme

Whatsa mattah, Carol Jean-girl? why You don't like that zebra stripe w/ the two inch swath created every couppla feet across your yard? haha

neener

yea well, Merme perhaps I did over-react----after all, it DID make my yard look "different". neenee

Hi everyone--just in to say "hi". I have to go and entertain my MIL as DH is out cutting grass. I'll be back later--- wavy

________

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks for all the input!! That's great. =) I don't know how big of one I actually need, but I would like to buy the biggest one I can afford, because as I said, I do have a large yard. I wish I could afford to get a small tractor, very small, with a bush hog to go with it.. but I guess I will just have to get my neighbor to bush hog my fields for me.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes the widest mower deck is a good thing. It will shorten your rifing mowing time, because one always has trimming & weed eating after all. or they usually do.
I wish you luck!!!

________

Here ...get one of these .
You can mow and till at the same time ...plus you can win races with all your neighbors haha ....and you can move stuff too haha

snow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmzlzShiNk8&feature=related

Don't like the weather in Michigan?..wait 30 sec.
How about a Wheel horse ?? lol... merme is that you ! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=codTsQoPufw&feature=related

snow

Don't like the weather in Michigan?..wait 30 sec.
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
If you have alot of snow you could look into getting one that comes with a plow or snow throer attachment. I know John Deere make them.

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image