Print Thread
Rate Thread
#340759 Jan 30th, 2011 at 05:38 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
When we were first married and living in Reno, NV many moons ago, we grew a lot of alfalfa sprouts to add to salads and sandwiches. They were so nice and fresh, and healthy for us.

Fast forward to last week, when I bought some rather large bean sprouts at the indoor farmer's market near here. They were such a nice, crunchy, light snack, and also good once again in salads and sandwiches, that I decided to once again grow my own. After much researching online, and finding a website that details everything needed to get the best results, including terrific videos, I decided to try radish sprouts first. They are supposed to taste just like a full grown radish, are the lowest in calories, and it's something I can do indoors while Mother Nature continually dumps more and more snow on us this winter.

So today I started the 12 hour soaking process for sprouting. Pictures to come later.

Anyone else grow these easy veggies during the cold months? I have read that all sorts of veggies can be grown and eaten as sprouts - broccoli, cabbage, radishes, all sorts of beans of course, etc. They are very high in both vitamins and minerals, low calorie, and some even have omega-3 which is all the rage right now for healthy eating!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #340764 Jan 30th, 2011 at 09:46 AM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Back in my healthy vegetarian life for 13 years I grew a variety of sprouts constantly. I had these lids to go on quart wide-mouth jars...there were 5 different ones, with holes in them. From teeny tiny holes in one up to huge holes in the biggest one. (Like a strainer...) Anyway, I'd put the seeds/beans in the jar and rinse with water everyday. When they started sprouting the seed hulls would float to the top as you were rinsing them and come out the holes, so when they were sprouted all you had was the sprouts and no seed hulls.

Nothing like a good bean sprout sandwich in whole wheat pita bread with nutritional yeast dressing. lol

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
plants 'n pots #340765 Jan 30th, 2011 at 09:51 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Yep Cindy - I have the jars and Don cut me some screens for the lids. I just don't have screens large enough for the hulls to wash out yet, but I will some of those soon.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #340766 Jan 30th, 2011 at 11:01 AM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I bought mine at a health food store...they are the easiest way to grow sprouts.
I think I have mine unpacked and in a drawer in the kitchen...I'll have to sprout me some seeds!

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
plants 'n pots #340825 Jan 31st, 2011 at 05:28 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Great idea Lynne, any chance of taking pics for us to follow along?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
plants 'n pots #340832 Jan 31st, 2011 at 06:26 AM
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
Mmmm Sprouts, I love sprouts, I got a bag of seeds once to do them but for some un beknownst reason I never got around to soaking them. I really should.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
plants 'n pots #341253 Feb 6th, 2011 at 03:33 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
We have success! WOW were they ever right! One tiny sprout tastes as spicey as eating a whole radish - YUMMY! I am starting more already - the packet I used only had a small amount of seeds - bought larger packets yesterday, so now my daughter, and my mom can have some too!

Pictures will have to wait - my computer is not recognizing the camera anymore, and I spent an hour on the phone with a Canon tech guy the other night, but he couldn't help me. Said it must be a computer issue. My son is an IT, and is coming home in 2 weeks, so hopefully he will be able to fix it then.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #341258 Feb 6th, 2011 at 04:37 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
SUCCESS yea !! I am so very happy for you, Lynne. clap

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image