Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#341480 Feb 10th, 2011 at 05:44 AM
OP Offline
The company I work for decided to replace the pavers in the front drive. When asked if they would donate the ones they are replacing I was told no that they are going to a landfill.

My question is this couldn't these brick have been crushed as a soil conditioner (Missouri clay dirt). I saw the ones they were throwing away and we could have lined our community garden at our church with this to hold it in place (it's a lasagna garden).

Let me know your opinion? FYI this company really pushes sustainability and recycling so it was very upseting that they would do something like this.

Thanks

tawright915 #341484 Feb 10th, 2011 at 07:14 AM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
this company really pushes sustainability and recycling

Seems like they took a different turn on recycling with this.
...doesn't make too much sense to me.

I, personally, think that anything that anyone can use should be given away if it's going to be thrown into the trash anyway.

A huge amount of clean, uneaten food is thrown into the landfills every single day. When a chain donut shop makes too many donuts they are usually thrown into the trash. When Kentucky Fried Chicken has chicken at closing time that hasn't been sold it is thrown into the dumpster (and I know this to be a fact...my brother worked there).

There is no excuse for "waste" like this when there is someone who can use it for good.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
tawright915 #341502 Feb 10th, 2011 at 11:14 PM
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
They really should have donated them some way even if was to staff. If anything they could have approached it economiacally. If you take them away they don't have to pay for them to be removed. Maybe they didn't think they would really be useful to anyone else thats a shame.

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
tawright915 #341524 Feb 11th, 2011 at 08:40 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
They absolutely should have been given to someone else to re-use. Years ago, my dad was driving in NYC, and they were tearing up some of the streets and removing the extremely old cobblestones that were under the pavement. Dad asked if he could have some, and they gave him all that his car could hold, what with the weight and all. Dad went back a few days later and got some more. He lined his driveway on both sides with them, and I also have some lining a garden that goes around my shed.

What a waste of good materials - your company should not have filled a landfill with them either. I'm hoping that someone will give you a believable reason why they did that - could they have been contaminated in some way?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image