Rate Thread
#341817 Feb 18th, 2011 at 01:39 AM
Shani Offline OP
Star Child
3k Posts
OP Offline
Star Child
3k Posts
I'm want to put in a vegetable garden, I've picked out the sunniest part of the yar whiche for most of the spring and summer get full sun starting atound 10am for the rest of the day. This part of the property is right next to our the area we use for parking in the winter (near the foot of the driveway). As we got the house last fall we didn't have time to do much work on the yard.
The are was over grown with weeds, I'm planning on removing them this weekend and hopefully turning over all the soil to kill the insect eggs and other little things that maybe living in there.
The area is about 10 feet by 20 feet.
Whats the best way to pre pare this area for the garden?
Should I lay newspaper for weed barrier?
What type of soil would be best? and how deep should I make the bed?
I was thinking of using city compost because its quite cheap would this be ok I know it usually comes with flects of garbage through out.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
Shani #341829 Feb 18th, 2011 at 08:45 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
newspaper is good.

Shani #341833 Feb 18th, 2011 at 11:14 AM
The first question I have, is have you or possibly the people in the house before you use rock salt or deicer on that driveway? If so, you won't want to put your garden there.
I would be leary of using compost that have flecks of garbage in it. You don't know what that garbage is or what sort of chemicals may be in it. I would assume it would be ok for a flower bed, but you are going to be eating those veggies.
Try starting your own compost. It isn't as hard as it may seem.
I would start looking at your current soil. Maybe add some manure to it after your get it turned and work that in.
Alot of really serious gardeners will tell you to get a soil sample and send it off for testing.
As to how deep you want your bed, that would depend on what you are planting and how. Most seeds only need sown 1" deep or less. If you use plants instead of seeds then you need to be able to dig a hole for them. Your best bet I would say would be around 6", but I never really paid attention to how deep my dirt was. My brother-in-law will be plowing mine. My dad always used a rotertiller(bad spelling)So you need enough loose soil to plant in and some extra for roots. 6 inches should be plenty.
No matter how much you turn that soil you will have bugs and weeds. It is a fact of nature, no garden will be without its bugs and weeds.

Shani #341854 Feb 18th, 2011 at 09:54 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
10 by 20 is small for a veggie bed but it is a nice size to start. Most veggies are heavy feeders so a mixture of 50% compost and 50% garden soil is a good start. I agree that I wouldn't use compost that you aren't sure about. A clarification if you use manure makes sure it is completely decomposed. Fresh manure would kill your plants because it is to high in nitrogen. How to tell if it is completely decomposed. It will look exactly like a black rich soil and smell wonderful. If it isn't completely decomposed. It will look and smell like poo.

A raised bed should be about 8 inches deep.

There are beneficial bugs like worms that you want in your garden.

Wait until your plants have sprouted before laying down newspaper or other weed barrier material.

There is some controversy concerning tilling. Some top soil is lost in this process. I don't till because I live on a steep slope and loss of top soil is a major concern for me.

[Linked Image]
Shani #341910 Feb 20th, 2011 at 09:46 PM
Shani Offline OP
Star Child
3k Posts
OP Offline
Star Child
3k Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to getting stared on it.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
Shani #341911 Feb 20th, 2011 at 10:17 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
your welcome

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,905
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image