Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#343220 Apr 8th, 2011 at 06:17 AM
Cheesey Offline OP
OP Offline
I bought 2 varieties of tomatoes this year; one that I can't find in my local stores. Unfortunately, I just received the plants this week and 4 of 6 of them were dead on arrival and a 5th one is dead as of this morning. I contacted the place I bought it from, which is a big name seed company, and they did say they would send out replacements. The problem is, the plants appeared to have been healthy when they packed them and they were packed well and should have lasted if the place was using 2 day or even 4 day shipping. But they won't ship them that fast....this batch took 9 days from the day they shipped them for me to receive them. I asked if when they ship the replacements, could they do 2 day shipping and they said no. So I'm really not expecting the replacement plants to be in any better shape then the ones I just got.

Has anyone here purchased tomatoes this way w/ any success? If so, can you tell me who you purchased them from?

500 Posts
500 Posts
Heya Cheesey

I don't recommend buying live tomatoes off the internet as they can get easily damaged. You'll be surprised how easily tomatoes are to grow from seed. Just buy some germination mix, full a pot up with it and plant the seeds about 1/8 inches deep. Insure the soil is damp too and you'll have seedlings within a week :wink:

I get my seeds from this site http://beingplants.com/zen/ and had quite a lot of success germinating seeds with them, I also recommend trying out the black krim tomato. It might look quite odd but it's goooood bop

Cheesey #343441 Apr 15th, 2011 at 12:43 PM
Cheesey Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh thanks! I did start a bunch already from seeds. I have 16 tomato plants total. I just saw these way after I started the first round of seeds so thought it would be faster to order the plants. I got the replacements in the mail today. While they are in better shape then the first set, they still don't look too good. We'll see how they grow.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image