Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#349952 Nov 19th, 2011 at 10:47 AM
OP Offline
hello everyone im new here, i need some help with some plants as im redoing my bedroom and want to feel like im in the tropics i have a great interest in indoor and outdoor plants im only 17 and im just stuck on plants.... my mates go to the local pub, i go to the local garden centre haha :)

Right to the point long story short.
I have a budgie so plants im looking for need to be non toxic as my bird flys freely around my room when im in there he dont nibble plants but its just incase he does.

Im looking for climbers as im going to be dedicating a wall for a climber or half a wall or something like that not 100% on room plans yet.

also some nice trees or shrubs, like yucca's and stuff like that nice big corner plants for the bird to sit in.

and possibly a few to put up in hanging baskets maybe.. im not sure, and i am planning on having my room well stocked and its a big enough room to take alot haha.
and for those out there who belive that plants in the same room is not healthy well i have AC vents going into my roomwhich is heated and cooled so fresh air al the time hehe

Many thanks to the people who help me

JordyRenton #349954 Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:06 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome Jordy. Plants are very natural air scrubbers. So very good for you and your bird on that front.
Here is a comprehensive list of plants to keep (or not) around your budgie.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
JordyRenton #349955 Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:19 AM
OP Offline
thank you for the warm welcome :) and thank you for the list that helps a heap!! i shall print off a list and look what ones i can get and that are suited to me and my budgie :)

I do wonder sometimes where people got the idea off plants in your room are un healthy haha, i think most people dont realise the amount of co2 they do realise at night which is tiny, they must think they let out as much as oxygen as they take it, simple misunderstanding off someone down the line and was turned into a myth :) thanks for the science tip grin hehe

Many thanks,
Jordy :)

JordyRenton #349957 Nov 19th, 2011 at 11:27 AM
OP Offline
what sort off bamboo could live indoors with the right light requirments, i dont want that lucky bamboo i want the bamboo i got in the garden i have nearly 40 plants 4 to 8 foot tall, and im always seperating new plants off them to plant more along the borders, im not 100% what speicies it is but i would love a big lump in my room as all the blue tits in the morning are in and out like crazy and thats where the idea off having some in my room would be fun and its beautiful stuff to look at aswell,

Im still not sure what region i want to go with,, amazon, asia, australia or mexico.. theres so many plants to choose from... i would like to design my room round china with the bamboos and maples and all the stuff like that, but also i would like mixture off others like feeling in the jungle.... any ideas what i could do with it? i got a blank canvas what would u do with a room to dedicate to plants? and culture?

Many thanks
Jordy :)

JordyRenton #350018 Nov 22nd, 2011 at 04:01 AM
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
Hi Jordy welcome to the forum. I think a bamboo room sounds cool.I'm not sure what different varieties that are out there but I think you probably could find one for in the house. even if you look at sensitive outdoor ones, they may do well inside. If you have to keep splitting the one you already have you may as well give it a try with a small clump and see how it does. I'm not sure whatelse would be a good companion plant with bamboo, you'll have to look around. Good Luck.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
JordyRenton #350024 Nov 22nd, 2011 at 06:31 AM
OP Offline
yeah thats sounds like a good test to be honest, what should the pot be like for a few poles lets say 6 poles about 4ft, how big should the pot be because im used to putting them straight into the ground, and what sort of soil do you think? at the moment they are doing very very well in our clayish mud, i do dig them a fair size hole to get started but they do very well...

And what do you think i should do about feeding and lighting inside the house? because i do feed them once a month with ordinary feeders for the garden.

there roots do tend to be shallow there no more then 3 to 4 inchs from the surface so was thinking not a deep pot but a pot about 10inchs deep to be sure and get one as wide as i can so it gives them room to grow?

Ive never potted bamboo before so it should be a task for me haha :)

Many thanks
Jordan

JordyRenton #350059 Nov 22nd, 2011 at 11:09 PM
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
You may find that though they keep their roots shallow in the gareden in an enclosed pot they may be forced to send them deeper. I would keep doing everything as similar as you can to how they are living in the garden. At least to start with, so keep them close to a window that best simulates their current light. Once they've established you could back them off a nit more from the light and see how they do.
You could try a few potsjust to see it they like shallow or would prefer deep. Have fun with it, and I'd suggest keeping a note book of what you've already tried so if fails you know what has already been done and if it works you remember what it was you did for light foot soil type etc.

JordyRenton #350060 Nov 22nd, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
Oh and if your bring them in from out side you may want to treat the plant with an insecticide or oil, or even a dishsoap spray to insure there are no unwanted houseguest coming in on the plants of in the soil.

JordyRenton #350062 Nov 22nd, 2011 at 11:51 PM
OP Offline
Yeah thats sounds like i have a test to be getting on with hehe :) and yeah they will be getting cleaned very well as i dont want them to bring in any nasty stuff that could harm any plants around the house.

What i will do is i will keep an update on what im doing and pot sizes and just try find out what suits it best and what light conditions and that.

I will do 3 pots with deep sized pots, and 3 with shallow pots,, 1 of each in full light by the window, another 1 of each with semi light and another 1 of each with hardly any light and look at the results and if the low light starts to die of i shall save it haha i dont want to waste a good plant, but i think that test sounds interesting.... anything else i should add to the test?

Many thanks
Jordan :)

JordyRenton #350065 Nov 23rd, 2011 at 12:33 AM
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
I think what you've got sounds like a pretty good experiment. If you do too many factors al at once it gets harder to keep track of each different traetment. In a few months when you know which type of pot and which lightin wirks best you could also play with level of fertilizer.

JordyRenton #350067 Nov 23rd, 2011 at 12:53 AM
OP Offline
yeah that is true and i like your idea :) i shall get what i need tomorrow, get my note book and pots and soil and go get some bamboo from the garden :) this should keep me pretty busy haha :) when i get everything started i shall make a thread and use it for updates and blogs of what improvements or defects the plants get, i will keep the test fair with the same amount of water and same pots for each one like deep and shallow and see how it goes :) hehe

Many thanks
Jordan

JordyRenton #350071 Nov 23rd, 2011 at 01:22 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Is bamboo invasive there? Is here. took over the yards in spots.. Not mine.
Grows about a foot a week. Horrible......They tryed all sorts of sprays on it . Nothing works.
Railroads used it to control dust and noise, olden days.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
JordyRenton #350072 Nov 23rd, 2011 at 01:27 AM
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
There's very few types of bamboo that will grow out doors here. I'm looking forward to seeing how this experiment progresses. Don't forget to add a few pics to if you can. I'd love to see the difference in treatments. (I work in agricultural research, so its interesting seeing results of experiments like these)

Shani #350073 Nov 23rd, 2011 at 01:43 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Shanki

Would appreciate if you know how we can kill the invasive type here.
What pesticide works.
Ps.. (I live on a farm)
Its the town people with the problem. Nephew.

Thanks
dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
JordyRenton #350074 Nov 23rd, 2011 at 01:48 AM
OP Offline
yes there shall be pics haha :).

And the way i control my bamboo is dig them up, because if u leave the root they will only keep coming back, so if there is a big patch u want to get rid off, and is to big to dig, a mini hire jcb will do the job. aslong as u get the roots it should never come back. thats how i deal with it when it tends to spread in my garden, but i tend to save them and plant else where insted of destroy haha :)

JordyRenton #350075 Nov 23rd, 2011 at 01:58 AM
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
I don't know of much other than digging them up, I suppose there is a hebicide out there but here getting them to grow is much harder, then killing them, winter takes care of that. I just find the best ways to grow my crop.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image