Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#350006 Nov 21st, 2011 at 06:07 PM
OP Offline
Hi! I've had an Aloe Vera plant for a few months and I noticed a small brown spot near the base of one of the stem things (not sure what to call them) It seems to have one dieing stem and im worried it will end up the same. This is my first attempt at a house plant and any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Also, the pot doesn't have a drainage hole, how important is this?

The window it is by is not an east/west window so doesn't get direct sunlight, I leave the lamp next to it on pretty much all day to help compensate for lack of natural light. I generally water it every 3 days or so. Pictures are here

https://imgur.com/a/CH5fC

Supermaugen #350100 Nov 23rd, 2011 at 03:41 PM
it is very important for aloe vera plants to have drainiage hole because their native environment is rather dry and if not it will most likely get root rot. Looking at your pictures it is to late to save the branch so just go ahead and but it off, but you can use the pulp inside of the branch to rub on minor cuts and burns. It works very well as a healing aid.

Every plant started out as a seed ,and then came the waiting game.
Supermaugen #350113 Nov 23rd, 2011 at 11:02 PM
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
Cute plant, I love aloes, that leaf definately can be cut off. None of my aloe pots have drainage holes, because they like it dry I just don'e wat them very often. I aim to water them once a week in summer and once a month i the winter, but I have a bad mamory for watering my plants so they don't get water all that often. They do love the sunlight though, the difference in sizde of my plants that sit in direct south light and the ones near the north windows have been significant enough that I rotate them around.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
Supermaugen #350147 Nov 24th, 2011 at 03:55 PM
If your Aloe plabts produce another plant and you try to get it up out of the pot but it comes up withought any roots then can you get it to sprought any new roots.

Last edited by mrgreen; Nov 24th, 2011 at 03:55 PM.

Every plant started out as a seed ,and then came the waiting game.
Supermaugen #350626 Dec 8th, 2011 at 05:33 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Caring for your Aloe vera houseplant can be very easy. Chances are that you're watering this plant way too much cut back on watering to prevent rot. In the winter it may become dormant and your continued watering to try to perk up your houseplant will only result in death. It thrives in bright light so keep it within 5 feet of a east or west facing window. In winter, don't leave your Aloe vera next to the window overnight when the temperatures drop drastically.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,888
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image