Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
oknewby Offline OP
Member
OP Offline
Member
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Had a garden several years ago. It got washed out and what didn't get washed out turned yellow and got bugs. So I obviously don't have a clue what Im doing. So I spent $300 dollars so far on trying to do it again this year. So here is what I got. A long narrow garden with three rows possible. I need to know where to plant the following in my garden.

carrots
pumpkin
tomotoes
watermelon
pepper
corn
strawberry
cantaloupe
sweet potatoe

My garden goes from North to South. Approx. 25 feet long by 4 feet wide. I already have the dirt, weed paper stuff, mulch, and soaker hoses. I just need to know where to plant? I know years ago I had read something about putting corn on one side and not shadowing other things. Im sure you can tell I have no clue what Im talking about. If someone could just tell me how to postion it all in my gardent that would be most helpful.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 397
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 397
Hi oknewby,,,,Yikes I attempted to write this all out and it just became overwhelming. One of my favorite books is "Gardening by the square foot". With your area 4 foot wide this may give you the perfect ideas on how to lay out your garden. My library has a copy of this book and I refer to it so often I bought a copy, it wasn't very expensive. Another resource I use is a web site called Campanion Planting. It gives you tips on what grows well next to what. I have a hard time remembering everything on the companion planting...corn doesn't go well with tomatos...carrots go well with tomatos....those types of tips. I know this may not be much help, but it would almost take a book to write all the options you may have!!! I draw out my garden on a piece of graph paper and that helps me to plan the lay-out. Good luck and success with your garden. flwr




Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
oknewby Offline OP
Member
OP Offline
Member
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by fabrictodyefor
Hi oknewby,,,,Yikes I attempted to write this all out and it just became overwhelming. One of my favorite books is "Gardening by the square foot". With your area 4 foot wide this may give you the perfect ideas on how to lay out your garden. My library has a copy of this book and I refer to it so often I bought a copy, it wasn't very expensive. Another resource I use is a web site called Campanion Planting. It gives you tips on what grows well next to what. I have a hard time remembering everything on the companion planting...corn doesn't go well with tomatos...carrots go well with tomatos....those types of tips. I know this may not be much help, but it would almost take a book to write all the options you may have!!! I draw out my garden on a piece of graph paper and that helps me to plan the lay-out. Good luck and success with your garden. flwr




thank you! I will look it up.

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,546
Likes: 61
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 30,546
Likes: 61


~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,236
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,236
Put the corn at the northern most part of the garden so that it doesn't block the sun from the rest of the plants once it grows tall.

Carrots and pepper are OK to be next to corn, but tomatoes are NOT good to be next to corn. Tomatoes are ok to be put next to carrots and peppers, tho. Confused yet? lol

When I had a large garden, I always planted my tallest plant at the north end and then worked my way to the smaller plants being in the southern end. So, at the very least, I'd probably plant the corn in the north and then put the peppers next, then the tomatoes.

I'm pretty sure watermelon, cantaloupe, and pumpkins are ok with each other, but you should do some research on them....also, they spread out quite a bit, so keep that in mind. I have seen people train watermelon and cantaloupe plants to climb up a strong trellis. You just need to support the fruit when it is growing....panty hose seems to work pretty well for that.

I'm pretty sure strawberries like to be in the sun. I've found really nice plans for a planter for strawberries that is a pyramid shape....it may be better for them than in your main garden? The plans can be found HERE .

I know nothing about sweet potatoes...sorry.


[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
oknewby Offline OP
Member
OP Offline
Member
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Thank you!

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 397
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 397
Originally Posted by hisgal2

I'm pretty sure strawberries like to be in the sun. I've found really nice plans for a planter for strawberries that is a pyramid shape....it may be better for them than in your main garden? The plans can be found HERE .


Thanks for that tip on the strawberry pyramid...think I'll have to talk to my DH :wink:


Bobbie

[Linked Image]
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 37,027
Likes: 9
California Queen
30k Posts
Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 37,027
Likes: 9
That is pretty.


~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
oknewby Offline OP
Member
OP Offline
Member
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
So quick question. When putting my soaker hose down I had some extra so I looped it at the far north of my garden thinking I could put a plant there that needs more water. Is there anything in the list that I put above that needs more water than the other plants? I need to move the loop now because I need to plant corn there.. and corn doesn't need more water. Does this make sense?

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
oknewby Offline OP
Member
OP Offline
Member
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Or I could just make a strawberry bed with the extra bit of hose?

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 37,027
Likes: 9
California Queen
30k Posts
Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 37,027
Likes: 9
There are a lot of strawberry planters out there. Stacked pots in declining sizes work well, too. Just good soil with regular water and feeding and you should get a nice little crop.


~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,236
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,236
Originally Posted by oknewby
So quick question. When putting my soaker hose down I had some extra so I looped it at the far north of my garden thinking I could put a plant there that needs more water. Is there anything in the list that I put above that needs more water than the other plants? I need to move the loop now because I need to plant corn there.. and corn doesn't need more water. Does this make sense?


How big of an extra loop? Depending on size, the extra loop may not matter.


[Linked Image]
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,236
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,236
I just came across a companion planting guide. It mentioned that corn makes a natural trellis for pumpkins and that the pumpkin helps to smother weeds and helps the corn roots to retain moisture. Thought that was interesting.


[Linked Image]
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 28
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by fabrictodyefor
I draw out my garden on a piece of graph paper and that helps me to plan the lay-out.


I like that idea. grin We moved and the yards aren't as big so I have to start over this year.

Pumpkins, watermelons, strawberries, and cantelopes need a lot of space so using the corn for a trellis is a good idea. Tube shaped screens can work too for some things.
Corn needs a ton of nitrogen and the carrots and sweet potatoes will need a really loose soil. You can add sand or perlite to help with that.


[Linked Image from farm8.staticflickr.com]

Get happy! It's really easy to do if you try. grin

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May


Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,314
Posts241,075
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5