This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#112660 February 16th, 2005 at 08:03 PM
OP Offline
Hi all!! as some of you know, I'm more of a vegetable gardener than a flower gardener. I have a long, narrow flower garden in my front yard that's about 12 feet long, and 3 feet deep. Usually, I just plant some impatients and Alyssum, with a few extra varieties for colour. This year, I finally want to do something different. I have some "red corn poppy" seeds that I really want to plant, but I don't really know what else to plant. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what will grow nicely with the poopy's, and have nice colour? I really don't know my flower varieties very well, and would appreciate any help ASAP, as I want to start my flowers indoors soon so I can get them BIG by May.

Thanks all!!!
(and I'll have those pictures of my indoor garden fopr you soon, just waiting for my seedlings to get bigger so you can see the "whole effect")

#112661 February 17th, 2005 at 12:08 AM
ok some plants are perienials and don't bloom the 1st year.so you'll want some annuals to fill in the gaps.if you check with other canadians....you can find out some re seeding annuals for your area so will just pop back every year.
you didn't say WHAT type sun bed gets.(but know not TX hot sun....)
I'd till the bed looseing the soil before adding the plants like compost and manure& mushroom compost.that way they healthy& grow good.

hard for me to think of hardy stuff for ya cause most IS hardy for me.
Mums are nice& are some sub-zero types now(they waited till I moved to develope those)
(BES) black eyed susans.is a wild flower,but looks great
Coneflowers..come in colors and angel a white one smells
clemtris vine grows well.
and have seen monarda bee balm.its red.
I'll go veiw my HGTV garden show tape of canadian gardens and fill ya in more.

Catmint would be nice,but I love catmint.I like salvia too but hear zone 5ers complain about overwintering it.but are annual ones(well guess all would be annuals for ya almost)

#112662 February 17th, 2005 at 12:23 AM
OP Offline
Sorry, the bed gets full sun until late afternoon.

Some of those varieties sound nice.I'm going to the local nursery this weekend, so I'll keep my eye out for those. Not really into vines though, they never worked well for me.

Any other suggestions would be great before the weekend. I can't wait to go to the nursery, we have a HUGE one here that has almost everything.

I love this time of year!!!!
Thanks all!!

#112663 February 17th, 2005 at 12:30 AM
OP Offline
PS: I live about 5 minutes away from Detroit Michigan, directly accross the boarder. (just so you know my weather conditions)

#112664 February 20th, 2005 at 11:24 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Noneofyourbusiness,

Did you want to stay with annuals
or perennials???

Do you want them all tall, or staggered
from tall to short?

What is your growing zone??

Weezie

#112665 February 22nd, 2005 at 08:22 AM
OP Offline
Sorry weezie, didn't see your post until today. I went to the nursery on the weekend flw !!!

I bought all my seeds and planted them on Sunday. I went with white Coneflower, Purple Coneflower, Silvery rose Strawflower, Vinca Periwinkle and an Angel's hair ornamental grass, to go with the Red Corn poppy's I started last weekend. I know most of these won't fill in properly until next year, but the packages said if I started them early enough this year, they will flower. And I figure since I'll have them under 2, 1000watt lights until spring, that should give them a nice head start!!

AS for my grwoing "zone" haha, I have NO CLUE. But I live 5 minutes away from Detroit Michigan if that helps!!

So, tell me what you think.....is my garden going to look AWSOME this year or what? I hope they look nice together, it will be a long overdue change from the boring 'ol impatients!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard