This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Did anyone else have trouble getting into this site the last couple of days? I kept getting that aweful, "this page can not be displayed" message. I was beginning to think ya'll kicked me out shk

Nope, you weren't kicked out. And you were not alone in your difficulties. Bill explains it in the thread "Questions for Bill".

Hope to see you around whenever you can get on!

Merme

B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
The site has been here all along, but a lot of members are having the same problem.
My server says that this is an internet problem. He explained it to me like this. Think of the internet as a giant spider web. To get to The Garden Helper, your internet provider follows the threads of the web until it reaches this site. The problem is that somehow there is a hole in the web and when the signal hits that hole it stops looking for us. If your internet signal had followed a different thread it would have made to our site. Duh

Meg Offline
Believe me, I know the web is just a tangled mess sometimes..lol. Steve likes to ping ip's sometimes, to see what's up. He can usually find out if there's a hang up in the middle somewhere between us & where we want to go. Since we're on the east coast, and Bill's on the west (and presumably so is his server), I wouldn't be surprised if all the wacky spring weather we've been having with storms galore is having fun with me getting here, or not getting here. Seriously, I can get here, hit refresh, and it's gone, and I can't get on till the next day, no matter what I do. I got to do that post up above yesterday, then poof, I couldn't get on anymore. :rolleyes: (At first, when I couldn't get on for about 3 days, I thought I did something wrong & Bill decided it was bye bye for me.) angell

Meg

I too have had a great deal of difficulty getting on in the last few days. Or I've gotten here and then pages have disappeared. I am a DSL user....and I always thought that meant "dialing at the speed of light", but in recent days I've made up other meanings! laugh laugh

I was glad for Bill's explanation of what was happening, though, and it helped me be patient.

And Meg, you are right....with so many connections to be made hopping from A to Z, trouble can occur anywhere.

Do any of you remember when a huge area of the northeast and part of Canada was without electricity a few years ago? I watched a documentary about that and as it turned out, a single mistake in one small town overloaded the lines further up the way which overloaded the lines and blew something important a bit higher up the chain, and so on, until that vast area was in the dark. It didn't take a whole lot of effort and it took no malice at all to leave millions without power.

So it really doesn't surprise me in the least that a single connection in the web could go all kaflewy, making it tough for us to surf in the sun.

Merme

Link Copied to Clipboard