This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#132698 February 24th, 2005 at 11:52 AM
Meg Offline
The snow started earlier than they were saying, because at 4:30am, when I looked out the window, we already have a dusting. Several schools have already announced closed today, but not ours.. yet. They will. It's just a matter of time. We haven't had that many snow days this year really, and I think they'd do it just to use them.. they are built into the calander anyway.

Still saying 3-5" of it for us. (So, it'll likely end up being an inch!) laugh (Or, we could get really dumped on.. that hasn't happened yet this year...)

Meg

#132699 February 24th, 2005 at 02:09 PM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow, do they really close the schools with so little snow falling? Here the plows are not even called out until there is 4-6 inches of snow on the roads, then they'll call so that they can plow them for the school buses to get on their way.

I guess we get so much snow that there'd never be school if it was cancelled at an inch. The weatherman calls anything under 6 inches just flurries or light snow. We only get storm adviseries (sp?) if we are getting 12 inches or more.

#132700 February 24th, 2005 at 05:24 PM
Meg Offline
See tamara.. here, we get a winter storm watch/warning/advisory/whatever.. when there's going to be *any* kind of snowfall, even an inch. It's kinda silly. But for this year, 4" would be a significant amount of snow.. we've had very little. Tho, I guess that's about usual for this area, even tho the first year we lived here (3rd winter here now)we had one storm after another, and one dumped over 2 feet of snow, on top of the snow we already had. We ended up having like 25 snow days for school that year..lol.

Meg

#132701 February 24th, 2005 at 05:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Meg, I hope Mark feels better too...he's napping right now. wavey

We have about 3 inches of snow here so far today......we went over to wallyworld at 7am this morning to do our grocery shopping, and WOW were the roads icy.....I live in MD and the roads here were okay, but as soon as we hit WV they weren't plowed or salted at all....we did a little sliding around--even in the truck. Every single school system in the area and the colleges are closed today.

Tamara, I couldn't imagine not having plowed roads until you have 4-6 inches....that's terrible. Luckily we live on a truck route and our street is always one of the first ones plowed.....but we live on a hill--so it can still be hard to get downtown. Usually our winters here are a lot worse.....this has been an extremely tame winter. I don't remember a winter like this actually.....not that I'm complaining though....lol wavey

#132702 February 24th, 2005 at 06:53 PM
Meg Offline
Where in WV did you go to a Walmart? I went to the one in Martinsburg, once. We were passing by it on our way home from a weekend to PA, and I knew the cats needed catfood when I hit the door. (We do have one in our town, I shop it regularly.. but I didn't think that'd be the one you went to..lol.) laugh

Meg

#132703 February 24th, 2005 at 08:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well I live in MD, but the WV border is literally a minute away.....right across the Potomac river.....I go to the Walmart supercenter in Keyser WV.....it's about 6 miles away from my house......I couldn't believe how bad the WV roads were when we went out.....didn't see one snow plow the entire way there or back....Then going the other direction we're only about 35 minutes away from the PA border.

Just shoveled my walk and the neighbors walk.....luckily it's the stuff that isn't hard to push.....

#132704 February 24th, 2005 at 09:47 PM
O
O
I used to live 2 or 3 counties from you Loz in Preston County WV about 1 1/2 miles from Garrett County MD. I remember riding in the bus to school with 6 inches of snow on the roads. We had 212 inches of snow my senior year in high school. We only had 6 days of school that January. There were times when we really didn't have much new snow, but they couldn't keep the roads open what with 3+ feet of snow on the ground, the winds kept blowing the roads shut. We had snow on the ground for 5 months that winter before it all melted.

#132705 February 25th, 2005 at 12:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know all about the bad weather up that way. I'm about 35 minutes from Oakland MD in Garrett County--my sister works up there....It's like a different country in the winter up on the mountain......it took my sister 2 hours to get to work this morning up there--and she lives in my town......I can absolutely believe that you only had 6 days of school one year. Pretty neat that you are familiar with the area.....did you ever go to deep creek lake?

We have almost 5 or so inches here now. Shoveled the walks yet again this afternoon....Mom was over clearing her car off......Bon Ton is have a huge sale tomorrow and of course we have to be there.....lol Winter Jackets for 4.95 that were originally 30-70 bucks........and sweaters for 4.95...Sorry to go off tangent there..... :rolleyes:

#132706 February 25th, 2005 at 02:32 PM
O
O
Once in high school, a friend and I camped at Deep Creek Lake State Park and we drove through there all the time going to Pennsylvania. Though we lived in WV, Oakland was the closest real town and we did most of our shopping there.

Had planned on going to Richmond to the Maymont flower and Garden Show yesterday, but because of the snow and ice (we only got about an inch) I swapped my close at work tonight with a friend and we're going today. It looks like a great day for a drive, not a cloud in the sky.

#132707 February 26th, 2005 at 01:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like Deep Creek Lake a lot, but it's becoming too much of a "resort" type area I think. We go up there several times every year and have a picnic and a swim.

Well we ended up with 6 inches of snow the other day--and the weather channel is calling for snow Monday, and snow and wind on Tuesday.....although I'm not sure how much snow, it didn't say yet.

#132708 February 28th, 2005 at 02:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay. So the Weather Channel is calling for 1-3 inches of snow tonight, and then 6-10 inches tomorow! Duh

#132709 February 28th, 2005 at 02:57 PM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
Well yesterday the wind was gusting at 85 km/hr so that meant we had no power all day again. Today is freezing cold, tomorrow we are getting a storm of at least 10 inches of snow with winds at 75 km/hr, so that will mean no power again and white out conditions.

Who said that spring is 19 days away? laugh We had such crazy weather this year. We have never in our life seen rain in the winter until this year. It seems to snow about 2 - 3 ft then rain a couple of days after. Good thing because we would be covered to our chimneys with all the snow.

I am seriously thinking about saving some money towards a generator, we have wood heat but most of our neighbours don't. So if it storms bad enough I end up with a house full of children. Hmmm, maybe the neighbours should save for the generator. idea

#132710 February 28th, 2005 at 09:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tamara, sorry to hear that you are having such terrible weather..... frown Hopefully it will all be over soon.

Our snow predictions have changed now.....3-5 inches today, 4-7 inches tonight, and 4-7 inches tomorrow.....so we could end up with anywhere from 11-19 inches.....it's really wet heavy snow too.....I guess Mark will be breaking out the snowblower before too long.....

#132711 February 28th, 2005 at 09:31 PM
Meg Offline
Gosh Loz, I hope we don't get that much. UGH. So far, it started about 5-6 hours ago, and wasn't really sticking to the road yet, but starting to get a thick dusting on everything, likely 1/2" or so. But, I suppose it's not supposed to let up until late tonight, or early tomorrow. :p

Meg

#132712 February 28th, 2005 at 09:40 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
We're supposed to get the tail end of that storm too, 2"~4" tonight, tomorrow, then the next day and the next day and the next day!!!! oh joy!!

Weezie

#132713 March 1st, 2005 at 05:18 AM
Snow here today. predictions here are for 8-12 inches...although I highly doubt that. There's about 3 or 4 inches out there now, and no snow is falling. It looks like there's a hole in the storm on the map and we're in the hole, but they're saying we're going to get another 4-6 inches tonight....here again, I doubt it. I'd love to not have to go into school tomorrow tho...or at least not have to get up at 5:30!! :rolleyes: Who wants to bet that I get up, get my shower and THEN they call me to tell me the daycare is closed. Ugh, I just know it will happen like that. So, anyways, bring on the snow!

#132714 March 2nd, 2005 at 02:40 AM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
Well school was closed today and we ended up with a foot of snow, and it's still snowing. We are under a blizzard again with blowing snow and wind chill. Another storm on its way for us this week end again. :p

#132715 March 2nd, 2005 at 03:05 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
We got a pretty good dumping on too,
but no school closings....
Streets were really filled, it was hard
for the plows to keep up......
I shoveled 5 times today, in the walking paths.

And we're getting dressed to go back outside
again to snow~blow!!!!

Oh well, good excercise...

Weezie

#132716 March 2nd, 2005 at 03:26 AM
We ended up with 8-9 inches of snow...alot more than I thought we would get!! All schools were closed and some day care centers (probably because too many workers called off). My daycare was still open. I went in an hour late and ended up not having any of my kids, so I worked in the toddler room. I am SOOOO glad I didn't end up with that room!!! Eye-yi-yi!!! Those kids don't listen for anything....until I gave them MY version of the time out. I had them stand with their noses to the wall for the same amount of time as they would have sat. That worked pretty quickly. Turns out kids that age don't like to not be able to see whats going on in the room. haha...it was kind of funny.

ANYWAYS, it ended up going to 37, so a few inches of the snow melted. If I would have had time, I would've built a snow man,but I worked until almost 4:30 and then came home and worked some more. smile

#132717 March 2nd, 2005 at 05:28 PM
O
O
We had 10 inches of snow and WIND. It hasn't gotten above 30 here yet so there's been no melting. The winds are to be 20-30 mph sustained today with gusts of 45-55 mph. I tried plowing my drive with my tiller and blade, but my chains came off and one of them is stuck in a snow bank somewhere. I couldn't finish so my neighbor tried to plow my drive with his tractor. My car was parked halfway up my 700 foot driveway and he was able to plow a little beyond that so I could get out, but he couldn't make it up the really steep part. He kept slipping, and he has 4-wheel drive! So now I have to park a quarter mile away and walk in to my house.

#132718 March 2nd, 2005 at 08:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok, so I don’t usually post on the weather conditions… and since it has been near 80 off and on for weeks it didn’t seem fair… but last night, it got down to 28. not too bad… EXCEPT we lost power about 10:30 last night and didn’t get it back until 6:30 this morning… and my house is total electric… can you say brrrrrrr?

#132719 March 2nd, 2005 at 11:29 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Well, I've got to shovel 3 times today!!!

And we'll be snow~blowing again tonight....
I have lost count at the amounts we've gotten
but it's still coming down, quite heavily!!!

I think on the weather channel, for our area,
we were the highest amount...
I am in the big white dot in the middle of the map!!!!

I have to admit though, my kids are lovin' it..
We made a huge pile in front of the house, with
about 3 different paths down it, one for the saucer, one for the snowboard, and one for whatever you have, innertube, shovel, snowpants, laugh etc.
And a couple of places to walk up it...
It's quite cool...
Tryin' to figure out a way to get a tow~rope up it. wink :rolleyes:

Weezie

Hey Jiffy, 80*'s :rolleyes: :p

#132720 March 5th, 2005 at 06:46 AM
I know that chilly feeling well were still sitting in the -15/-20 C range (approx 5/-5 F) with lots of snow in the forecast, we still have about 3 and 1/2 feet of snow. No gardening any time soon here frown

#132721 March 6th, 2005 at 07:09 PM
T
T
Weezie
I see on the UB weather map you posted that your place is north of my valley farm and east of my flat farm and my home. The valley farm is in Catteragus county Napoli, New York. This weather sure is true to the old saying for March, at least the first part is, "In like a lion." Take Rt. 242 down through Elicotteville and the town of Little Valley towards Randolph, and my place is the first place on the right past Lower Edgar Road. The snow is waist deep there now, my youngest and I went yesterday and cross country skied on the property. Today the wind is blowing and we are getting rain and wet snow. I can hardly wait for spring, I need to play in the dirt.

#132722 March 7th, 2005 at 02:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well it's supposed to be almost 60 today!!! grinnnn

However on the downside they are calling for snow and wind tomorrow, must be a cold front coming down..... frown

I guess I'll enjoy the weather today while I can.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard