This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14650 February 20th, 2004 at 08:38 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
N
Junior Member
Junior Member
N
Joined: Feb 2004
Hello everyone!

I recently bought and re-potted a smaller jade plant. It's only been a couple of days and now there is white fuzz growing on the soil.......help me!! I love houseplants and haven't had much luck growing them........

#14651 February 21st, 2004 at 04:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wavey hi ntj wavey welcome to the garden helper. about your fuzz. sounds like mold. i would think that maybe you have the soil too moist, and maybe you didn't use fresh, sterile potting soil. the answer is to scoop off the fuzz, then let the soil dry out through the top inch or so before watering again. this is only for your jade, but jades are easy to kill with kindness. they prefer it on the dry side. keep us posted!

#14652 February 21st, 2004 at 04:25 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Member
Member
Joined: Aug 2003
When I had white fuzz on the soil of my golden pothos, I was told it was some kind of mite. It was also killing the plant very quickly. I don't know if this is the same case or not but I scooped as much off as I could. Then when I watered it the next few times I used some soap in the water. On a very warm day in the fall, took it outside and drenched it with the soapy water. I had suds everywhere. Then I flushed it all through with just plain water. I left it outside for a few hours in the sun to drain before I brought it back in. I haven't had a problem since. A few months later i had to repot it in a bigger pot because it was growing very nicely again. Good luck!

#14653 February 22nd, 2004 at 12:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Newbie,

The fuzz is a mold that has come from using soil that is contaminated with mold spores. I suggest that you unpot your Jade, remove the soil that you added, leaving just the original soil, then repot your jade into its original pot. Jades do best in small pots and they rarely need repotting.

You probably should not use that contaminated soil with any of your other indoor plants. It can be use outdoors.

#14654 February 22nd, 2004 at 01:43 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
N
Junior Member
Junior Member
N
Joined: Feb 2004
Thanks so much for all of your help!!


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.064s Queries: 23 (0.061s) Memory: 0.7629 MB (Peak: 0.7826 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-11 22:30:08 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS