This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#150737 January 15th, 2006 at 12:43 AM
I think I saw that back cover - you had electrodes on your head....

TK - was it brother Cadfael by Ellis Peters? and was the FBI one Patricia Cornwall or am I thinking of something else - actually I think I'm thinking of chocolate.....

#150738 January 15th, 2006 at 02:39 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Mmmm, Chocolate! I am a fanatical reader but mainly of fantasy and science fiction. My current favorite author is C.J. Cherryh.

#150739 January 16th, 2006 at 10:42 AM
Amber J Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry - I started this dang topic and it took me forever to get back to it!

Which is the one about growing up in Iran? Kite Runner or Time Traveler's Wife? My husband is from Iran and I think that would be a neat book for me.

Truthfully I'm into all kinds of books. Dean Koontz just became my new favorite author since my book club in Tucson picked one of his. I've been reading a bunch of his.

... My husband needed something to read in the bathroom and I gave him one of my finished Koontzes. He came out all disappointed, saying he took too long to describe things; that if he would just get to the point and not waste so many words on one thing the books would be a lot better (and shorter). I was heartbroken! I married the wrong man! frown That's what prompted me to look into joining a book club out here.

Anyway, I like the idea of everyone reading the same book because when we're done reading, we can all talk about it. My favorite part about reading the same book is, though, (well this is how my book club did it anyway) that everyone takes turns picking the book, and that way we all get a taste of everything - a lot of variety. That way I wind up reading books I may have never though to pick up, and I usually wind up really enjoying them.

We also would meet after every few chapters and discuss, instead of reading the entire book and then discussing. It was a great way to spend my Monday nights - and a good reason to break my diet (we'd take turns at each others' houses and make different foods) lala

Oh I miss it so much now!

#150740 January 16th, 2006 at 12:39 PM
He came out all disappointed, saying he took too long to describe things; that if he would just get to the point and not waste so many words on one thing the books would be a lot better (and shorter).
THAT IS EXACTLY HOW I FELT after trying to get through my first Koontz book!!! I got 3/4 of the way through before any action started - :p

The Kite Runner is actually about growing up in Afghanistan!

#150741 January 16th, 2006 at 09:38 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Mrsmessy you are absolutely right on both counts. Those are the authors I was thinking of.

Well reading the same book is great and I'd be willing to do that if I can get my hands on the book. But could we also maybe have a list of recommended reading? There are many many books out there and I am lazy about reading new authors unless they have been recommended by someone I trust.

BTW my local library is a store front volunteer type affair. So if anyone has a duplicate book and would like to send it to me book rate I would be happy to make sure it got to the library. Our shelves are about 50% filled so there is room for lots of books. Mostly what we have are romances. The science fiction and mystery sections are very sad. There was only one Anne McCaffrey book on the shelf the last time I went.

#150742 January 17th, 2006 at 11:42 AM
Loz,
I think I finished The Time Traveler's Wife' the same day you did! Wow, wasn't that an excellent book?!?! I haven't read anything that good in a very long time. The author was Audrey Niffenegger.

I really liked 'This Much I Know is True' by Wally Lamb.

Pennygale

#150743 January 17th, 2006 at 11:47 AM
Forgot that I'm also listening to the audiotape version of the book 'The Memory of Running' and it's pretty good so far.

I've read about 20 pages of 'Basket Case' by John Hiaacen. Not sure about it yet.

I like Dean Koontz...Old and new.

Pennygale

#150744 January 17th, 2006 at 01:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Loz,
I think I finished The Time Traveler's Wife' the same day you did! Wow, wasn't that an excellent book?!?! I haven't read anything that good in a very long time. The author was Audrey Niffenegger.
Hi there, how neat that you finished it around the same time as I did....I REALLY loved it...I loved the concept of it, the love story in it, and I thought it was well written and thought out....just loved everything about it...Now I'm on a time travel kick....My past 2 books since The Time Travelers Wife have had to do with ummm, time travel! laugh

#150745 January 17th, 2006 at 02:42 PM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
I used to belong to a book club which sort of just faded into oblivion because the person who was suppose to hold the meeting kept putting it off and we never met again. Next time I am in a book club, I hope it has some rules! frown So I have read a lot of magazines the past couple years but no books except maybe Harry Potter ones. The last novel I have read was "The 5 People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. It really has been awhile. Geez...I miss that book club.

#150746 January 18th, 2006 at 06:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fernie, I read that 5 People You Meet in Heaven too....I didn't like it anywhere near as much as Tuesdays with Morrie....that book really touched me.

You should give the Time Travelers Wife a try!! It's really good!

#150747 January 18th, 2006 at 09:57 AM
Yes, definitely try the Time Traveler's Wife. I'd find myself at work just thinking about the book, wondering what might happen next with Henry and Claire. Man, it was great! I want to read another JUST like it. Almost done with 'The Memory of Running' and it's getting better and better.

#150748 January 18th, 2006 at 11:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I got that Kite Runner book today from the library! And a couple of other books....

Yes, I too wonder about Henry and Clare....Remember the way it ended Penny???? I wanted to know more about that.....

#150749 January 18th, 2006 at 11:28 AM
Loz,
I wanted to read more about Alba and her travels. Maybe WE need to write a sequel!

Pennygale

#150750 January 18th, 2006 at 11:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh yes, there should be a sequel with Alba as the main character......I can't believe she didn't jump on the opportunity for that.

I get so moody when a good book finishes....I get so involved with the characters, and so pulled into the story that I hate when it ends....It's hard for me to jump right into a new book...but I do, because I have to read each night to get to sleep.

Right now I'm almost done with a light "chic-lit" book by Marian Keyes called Sushi for Beginners.

#150751 January 19th, 2006 at 04:23 AM
I get so involved with the characters, and so pulled into the story that I hate when it ends
I'm the same way, loz!!!

I feel like part of the story family, and want to know what happens after the book ends!

#150752 January 19th, 2006 at 02:10 PM
Amber J Offline OP
OP Offline
See - look how great we're doing! We should start our own book club!

Seriously, is it possible to do online?

#150753 January 20th, 2006 at 08:06 AM
Tuesdays with Morrie....I thought this book was good also.

Have you guys read Finding Your Own North Star? It's a self help book and very interesting. It has really put me to thinking.

#150754 February 22nd, 2006 at 12:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just finished reading The Mermaid Chair and found it to be very good. thumbup It took me a few chapters to get into it, but the love story in it was beautiful.....

Just wanted to throw it out there if anyone wants a good book. thumbup

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard