This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15481 June 4th, 2004 at 02:33 AM
T
Member
Member
T
Joined: Jun 2004
we just sold our house, and we have a beautiful japanese maple, that we unfortunately cannot take with us...

this spring, i saw four saplings that i have transferred into flower pots...

it has been about a month and they are still alive (that's good, i guess!)...

does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should do to ensure that they stay alive? what do i do with them in the winter? should i bring them inside? when would it be safe to transplant them back to a permanent location?

any help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks!


tim

#15482 June 4th, 2004 at 01:56 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
Timmy,
When are you moving?
And where are you moving to? *Not being nosey*
but, curious, are you moving to same climate?
A house, an appartment???

Weezie

P.S. Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way! We're very glad you found us!

#15483 June 4th, 2004 at 04:01 PM
T
Member
Member
T
Joined: Jun 2004
we are moving this week... the seedlings are already in plant pots...

same climate... it actually the same city... we live in toronto, canada...

the japanese maples will eventually be planted in the garden of a house...

i'm not sure how long i have to baby them until i can do that though...

#15484 June 5th, 2004 at 01:40 AM
Joined: Sep 2002
N
Member
Member
N
Joined: Sep 2002
Hi Timmy,
You can just sink the pots right into the ground and leave it there for the winter. I did with 500 potted plants and shrubs and all was fine.

Good luck in your new home!
Newt

#15485 June 5th, 2004 at 05:00 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Member
Member
Joined: Mar 2003
Welcome!

Japanese maples are really pretty hardy. But they do take a long time to get to a good height.

My suggestion would be to harden them off when you get to your new location. That is, set them outside, but in a protected location and still in their pots for a few weeks. That will acclimate them. during the waiting period, I would prepare the holes for each sapling, making them very generous in size (at least a foot in diameter and a foot deep, even if the saplings are tiny), and filling them back in with a mix of the native dirt and some good compost. This will make a nice, loose soil for their little roots to spread out quickly in. Once hardened off, plant them in their holes and water them in well. Keep them watered during their first few years. That is, water them weekly. If there is a dry spell you may even want to water them more often. If it rains and the soil stays moist, then nature has done the watering for you.

I have two Japanese maples that came as saplings from my mom's Japanese garden. The oldest one, (to the best of my recollection, it's been here maybe eight years ) is about eight feet high. It is still fairly small for a tree, but I know it will be here for a long, long time.

#15486 June 12th, 2004 at 04:41 PM
T
Member
Member
T
Joined: Jun 2004
the pots are plastic though...

won't that hinder the roots from spreading?


Quote
Originally posted by Newt:
Hi Timmy,
You can just sink the pots right into the ground and leave it there for the winter. I did with 500 potted plants and shrubs and all was fine.
Newt

#15487 June 12th, 2004 at 04:47 PM
Joined: Sep 2002
N
Member
Member
N
Joined: Sep 2002
Timmy,
If you're only leaving them in the ground for a year and there is room in the pot for the roots to grow, no harm done. Do be sure the pots have drainage holes and they aren't blocked with anything. I have a plant that has a long tap root and I can't seem to find a permanent home for it. If I plant it and want to move it I'm out of luck as it will not transplant. I have been putting it in larger pots for 4 years now and keep sinking the pot back in the ground. I hope to find it a permanent home this year. I use the plastic pots from the nursery and have even used the hard plastic ones you use indoors when I potted up the 500. I started to run out of pots.

Newt

#15488 June 18th, 2004 at 03:48 AM
Joined: Jun 2004
E
Member
Member
E
Joined: Jun 2004
If you put them in the ground, i would recommend using tree shelters (my personal preference, but not the only solution). Maple seedlings do best when they are about 2-3 years old. Harding them off as the other poster said is a good idea.

I use this brand of tree shelter, but there are others:

http://www.growtube.com/shelters.html


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.062s Queries: 29 (0.057s) Memory: 0.7866 MB (Peak: 0.8062 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-09 22:21:23 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS