The original top looks like its dying but there is a baby that looks healthy.
First you can grow a pineapple in a container or in the ground. For that matter I've seen them grown in 5 gallon buckets.
Now until the top is dead there is a good change you can still root it. If there is any rot on it remove that first. Hopefully the rot/ dead areas are at the base. If so peel away the the dead leaves until you have a good inch of stock to work with. (See Picture)
Next, carefully slice small, horizontal sections from the bottom of the crown until you see root buds that appear as small dots or circles on the flat, cut surface (see picture).
Now here is where I differ from just about every piece of advice you can find. I don't root mine before I place them into a good potting soil. Please note that my potting soil is really a living society, and not just new potting soil. If you have access only to new you need to tell me so I can address that issue as well.
The soil at this point must be moist at all times, you cannnot allow it to dry out even for one day. However, it cannot be wet,it must drain. Some gardeners tent theirs with plastic (mini
green house.) I don't.
While I don't use a common commercial rooting compound containing a mild fungicide, as I directly place mine into a mixture of a living society and fungicides don't do them any good, you might give this consideration seeing how "near-dead" this top is.
Ok next, until the roots are established every 4th day foliger feed your top with seaweed and fish extract. One ounce of each with one gallon of water. Use a trigger sprayer and MIST it on covering every side/ leaf.
Next every time you water this
plant use the same ratio of water to fish and seaweed extract. At the moment you are behind the eight ball. So don't skip a cycle.
This seaweed fish mixture saved a mid size pineapple
plant that I did something stupid to. (Don't ask, and even if you do I won't tell. :p ) Anyway this
plant had rotton off from its base! I moved it to a new container and every 4th day I sprayed it. 4 months later it looked as good as any I've grown. It took about 2-3 months to re-establish its root system. The point here is until it can feed itself you have to "spoon" feed it.
Again only MIST this on, Note: You get the center wet one too many times and it will rot on you. This is why I say to MIST it. You still have to get the center leaves. Just don't puddle the stuff in the center.
Ok as to the baby is it growning from the base at ground level or below? If it is ground level then it is a sucker. Now if it is from below the ground then it from the stolons beneath the soil and are called basal suckers or "ratoons". If it is a ratoons then it is part of the original root system. You need to move the roots with it.
If it is above the ground then it is off of the main stock then it is called a Slip. Before I can help you with how to root it I need you to tell me the following.
1. How long is it?
2. How big around is it?
3. How many leaves does it have?
4. How healthy does it look i.e. colors of leaves. Are they all green or is there yellow, or reds running through the leaves.
5. Is it at ground level or
growing from below the ground. (My bet would be if it is not a Slip then it would be ratoon before it would be a sucker.)
At this point this sounds like a lot. However, we are working with at least one near dead
plant and as such this under taking is much more than normal. Don't let it turn you off. Once you get these two established, and when they fruit you will have learned much and will have won the war~~! After that (if you take my advise)you will be on the way to becoming Pineapple_Karen!
I will track this topic.
Pineapple_Raye
Please note that these photos are not mine. They are from another site. I copied and used them as they are as good any picture as I could shoot. They are not hot-linked, but off of my site.