This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15896 March 31st, 2004 at 04:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ok, i bought some tulip bulbs that ended up with the most beautiful blooms. the blooms are gone and the foliage is fading. what do i do next to have them bloom next year. i know that i have to refrigerate them eventually because it doesn't get cold enough here. but what do i do in the meantime?

#15897 March 31st, 2004 at 05:21 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
B
Member
Member
B
Joined: Mar 2004
Jiffymouse, in your zone, tulips don't save very well..

If it were me, I would be sure to mark where they are planted and wait till the foliage dies back then dig them up and store (do not let bulbs touch each other unil they have dryed well) them in a cool dry, dark place until next fall then replant (or/then refrigerate to create a winter for them). am I making any sense here nutz

#15898 March 31st, 2004 at 07:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
actually makes good sense, 'cause i put them in pots instead of the ground. i knew they wouldn't bloom again without an artificial winter. thanks thumbup

#15899 March 31st, 2004 at 09:22 PM
Member
Member
Joined: Aug 2003
Jiffy, I'm in the same zone as you and my tulips actually bloomed without being in the fridge! I wasn't sure if it would work so I planted half in the fall and saved another set to spend winter in the cooler. I'm planting my refrigerated bulbs this weekend (they've only been in there 6-7 weeks). I'm not sure if they will come back next year on their own so I might do the same type of test. We did have a couple of days of really cold weather, dropped into the low 30s, over Christmas so maybe that helped them out. We don't always get that good of a frost so maybe it won't work every year. I'm just rambling on now but thought I'd let you know that it is possible for us..... grinnnn

#15900 April 1st, 2004 at 12:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thumbup


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.045s Queries: 23 (0.042s) Memory: 0.7601 MB (Peak: 0.7797 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-09-29 13:00:27 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS