This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16697 May 5th, 2004 at 11:40 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
R
Member
Member
R
Joined: Mar 2004
I'd like to know if there is a secret to getting a skinny pathetic looking ficus to grow a bigger (thicker/sturdier) trunk?

If I prune it back, will it put its efforts into new leaves or trunk, either, both neither? hahaha

I inherited a scraggly ficus tree that is about 7' tall but very spindly and only has two thin base branches with a very thin, short stubby initial trunk before the first "Y".

Thoughts?

#16698 May 6th, 2004 at 03:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The thickness of the trunks and branches depends almost entirely on the amount of light available at the time that the stems and trunks are growing. Once established, they don't grow much thicker. Very thick tree-like trunks and branches are grown outside year round in direct Florida sun.

You cannot thicken-up the existing trunks and branches, but you can control the thickness of future growth. I suggest that you prune back your skinny tree as far as you can stand, then move your tree to direct sunlight.

#16699 May 10th, 2004 at 05:33 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
R
Member
Member
R
Joined: Mar 2004
Thanx, Will!!

I know I replied to this on Friday but my computer must have eaten the post.

Thank you for all the great feedback you give here, Will.

I do have a question about pruning my Ficus...If I lop off the top branches, will that stunt the upward growth? The plant, like it said, is now about 7 feet tall and the height is perfect for my 9' ceilings in the room in which the Ficus is living. I'd like to keep the height but it definitely needs to be pruned back to get bushier. The top branches are very leggy and scraggly, so that would be a good place to start, but if I prune the top branches, I'm afraid I would drop its height to about 5.5 - 6' and I would like it to be taller.

Thanx!! smile

#16700 May 11th, 2004 at 03:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The top growth may be getting scraggly because it does not get as much light as it approaches the ceiling.

If you want more growth down below, then you have to cut back at least some of the taller stems.

If you can e-mail me a photo that shows the whole tree, then I can provide a more specific response.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.052s Queries: 21 (0.049s) Memory: 0.7577 MB (Peak: 0.7774 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-04 15:33:57 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS