#168402
February 11th, 2007 at 11:37 AM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jul 2004
|
Guess I oughta' take the rocks off my bulbs soon -maybe in another two weeks, or if we get the Feb melt before the end of the month.
Then I'll have to protect them from the squirrels with some racks.
|
|
|
#168403
February 13th, 2007 at 05:28 AM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2006
|
Dianna, WONDERFUL flower! I do love their smell! I wish I had some of those. I used to have a purple one, but some how it got lost in my garden and never showed up?? Anyways, Wonderful!! Wonderful!!
|
|
|
#168404
February 15th, 2007 at 07:20 PM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2005
|
i only have a couple of things. My camellia is blooming ![[Linked Image]](http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/Tina55U/Feb%20o7/Febo7Feb152_resize.jpg) And a wimpy hyacinth. We are supposed to dig them up and toss them after they bloom the first year because we don't get enough chilling to bring out a full head of blossoms in the next years. But I can't. I love the individual waxy blooms and they still smell heavenly. ![[Linked Image]](http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/Tina55U/Feb%20o7/Febo7Feb154_resize.jpg)
|
|
|
#168405
February 15th, 2007 at 07:25 PM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2005
|
I love it Tina......thanks for showing me, i would look at your flowers anytime, since we dont have any up here at the moment, its nice seeing your's 
|
|
|
#168406
February 15th, 2007 at 07:28 PM
|
|
Compost Queen!
|
|
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
|
You know I have often wondered if someone put a load of ice on top of plants requiring cold time and covered it with styrofoam of somesorts *insulating factors*, and then a bag of ice, every day or so, for a month.. like January.... to see what would happen... Just to see if you'd get a better bloom factor or the same outcome... Thanks for the flower's Tina, you know I love looking at your photo's when the snow is 2ft deep here..
|
|
|
#168407
February 15th, 2007 at 07:34 PM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2005
|
Yes you can dig and chill bulbs or chill whole potted plants. But things like peonies need a longer more consistent chill then not as hot in the summer. I have never seen a peony or smelled one. Some day I will try some tree peonies which can grow here.
|
|
|
#168408
February 16th, 2007 at 01:54 AM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2006
|
Emm Tina i envy u your flowers!!! Beeauutiful!! Aaahh wish i can grow Hyacinths... love da smell... smelled them way back in 1985 in Hyde Park, England.... such a beautiful heavenly fragrance!
|
|
|
#168409
February 16th, 2007 at 10:19 PM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2004
|
While out walking Angel, I glanced in the flowerbed to check on my last bloomer to see how it was doing. Imagine my surprise when I spotted this beauty... ![[Linked Image]](http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/DixieAngelsMom/Gardening/blossom1.jpg) Can't remember what it is, but it sure is pretty! Dianna
|
|
|
#168410
February 16th, 2007 at 10:26 PM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2003
|
Looks like a very pretty crocus, Dianna! They are one of the early bloomers here too, but not for a few months.
|
|
|
#168411
February 16th, 2007 at 11:14 PM
|
|
Compost Queen!
|
|
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
|
I won't see those here until April probably.
Soooooo pretty Dianna!!
|
|
|
#168412
February 17th, 2007 at 12:06 AM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2002
|
|
|
|
#168413
February 17th, 2007 at 04:00 AM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2004
|
Crocus! That's what it is! Thanks, Lynne and Mel... I have planted lots of bulbs in the front flowerbed. I am sure those won't be the only ones that I can't remember! Dianna
|
|
|
#168414
February 17th, 2007 at 05:18 AM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2005
|
It was 64* this afternoon, so BG & I went out & worked in the yard for a couple hours... She moved some Daffs & Hiacinths to a better location, while I moved Ginger & Cannas around. ![[Linked Image]](http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/gottahavegraphics/2007%20plants/BG2-16ins.jpg) The Hiacinth are budding up fast (insert), & if it stays warm, I expect to see them blooming in about a week! (I know it's not the "right" time of year to move these spring plants, but I've done it before without any problem. We decided to free up a garden bed for new annuals that we want to try this year.) We also got the leaf blower out & found things already flowered up & peeking through the dead leaves & other winter nasties! Last year I separated an old, woody Bergenia stump & got several plants from it. I didn't think they'd bloom this year, but some of them are! 
|
|
|
#168415
February 17th, 2007 at 07:54 AM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2004
|
Purty. Just downright purty, Patty! I'm hopin' that I have some of them there yeller croci out thar, too! Do all the croci usually have striped leaves? Gotta know what kinds of " weeds" I might be pulling in the flowerbed since I don't have it mulched.... I know. Slap me upside the head.  I should have mulched with "something" to keep the darn weeds out! Dianna
|
|
|
#168416
February 17th, 2007 at 12:58 PM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2006
|
Very Pretty!! I am jelous you all have flowers and all I have is snow  !!  Keep the pictures comming!! 
|
|
|
#168417
February 17th, 2007 at 01:40 PM
|
|
Compost Queen!
|
|
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
|
I am simply amazed Patty, that we can hear about blizzard after blizzard in Colorado and you show up bare soil and transplanting.. It is sooo amazing what a difference a few miles' make.... Love your flowers! 
|
|
|
#168418
February 17th, 2007 at 04:49 PM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2005
|
Dianna, I didn't mulch ...not on purpose, anyway! We don't have any trees in our yard, but the neighbors have them in theirs. (I should make THEM come over & get their garbage outta my gardens!) Other than the "special" things that I covered with cardboard & throw rugs this year (when I saw the inclimate cold front moving our way), the only "mulch" that anything else gets, happens from whatever dies back & whatever blows in! I saw your crocus on the last page, & it's AWESOME!  </i> You'll have all kinds of flowers when we're swimming in all the spring rain we'll be getting here... It's OVER KILL every year!!
|
|
|
#168419
February 17th, 2007 at 04:55 PM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2002
|
I love your flowers Patty! Feels like spring is right around the corner. I love the picture of BG , she's so intense! You can tell she's caught the bug from her Grandma!
|
|
|
#168420
February 17th, 2007 at 11:33 PM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2005
|
Dianne, upon closer inspection today, I see that the leaves on my Crocus ARE striped!  The leaves aren't as deep green as yours, so the stripe is hardly detectable. I noticed a couple things in my Nigella bed the other day & they looked more like a cousins to the Q-tip at the time.... turned out to be Crocus, but I have absolutely NO idea how they got clear over there! ![[Linked Image]](http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/gottahavegraphics/2007%20plants/Crocus2-17.jpg) These definitely don't have stripes on the leaves... in fact, there is hardly any foliage to speak of! They're just dainty little top heavy flowers!
|
|
|
#168421
February 18th, 2007 at 07:14 AM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jul 2004
|
Oooooooooh! I'm looking forward to this snow melting off and seeing what comes up.
|
|
|
#168422
February 22nd, 2007 at 03:06 AM
|
|
Critter Keeper
|
|
Critter Keeper
Joined: Jul 2006
|
This Daffodil is my first spring bloom. This pic was taken last night.  flowers/FirstDaffodillBloom07.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/> This next one is same flower taken this morning.  flowers/Daffodill.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>
|
|
|
#168423
February 22nd, 2007 at 04:08 AM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Aug 2004
|
Beautiful Jimmy. Waiting for mine to open up here as well!
|
|
|
#168424
February 22nd, 2007 at 03:08 PM
|
|
Compost Queen!
|
|
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
|
|
|
|
#168425
February 23rd, 2007 at 02:43 PM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2005
|
How pretty Jimmy....looks pretty, reminds me of spring 
|
|
|
#168426
February 24th, 2007 at 03:11 AM
|
|
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2005
|
Nice to have an early spring indicator isn't it Jimmy? I took this today ![[Linked Image]](http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/Tina55U/Dogs%20Life/DogsLife13_resize.jpg) These are a planter of tete-a-tete daffs in front of a planter of king alfred daffs.
|
|
|
|
|