This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18042 February 29th, 2004 at 01:08 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
J
Member
Member
J
Joined: Feb 2004
Palmettos grow in the wild in our woods here in NW Florida. I have a native garden and would like to add them to my garden. I have been unable to locate a source to purchase them locally. I'm not sure they would live if I just dug up plants in the woods. Plus, this is really not legal. Any ideas for sources and info on growing?

#18043 March 9th, 2004 at 09:13 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Joined: Aug 2002
I would call my local extension office and ask them. They probably could help you out with both of your questions. Good Luck flw

#18044 April 16th, 2004 at 04:55 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M
Joined: Apr 2004
hi,
I live in central east florida, and I love the
palmetto. I just found 4 large ones that somebody
had dumped near trash cans. I put them in front
of my house. They are really beautifull. What I am
doing regularly is look where they are going to
clear a vacant lot and ask for the trees that are
cleared. You can look at sites where is new
development and ask if you can get the palmettos.

good luck!

#18045 April 16th, 2004 at 08:43 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
O
Member
Member
O
Joined: Apr 2004
I had a bookmark for TyTy nursery. I was interested in bananas and palms, but I see they also have saw palmetto. Hardy to zone 6!! I could grow this!
TyTy Palm Tree Nursery

#18046 April 16th, 2004 at 08:01 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Member
Member
Joined: Jun 2003
Hi All,
I just wanted to say, a friend of mine had ordered from them a few years ago, and wasn't very happy with what they had sent. Buyer beware. I'm not trying to slam them, just wanted you to be aware. They do have a wonderful site, and I often use it to ID other plants, but didn't want you to be unhappy.
I second the motion for the extension office, they may have some they will give you.
Good luck,
Raven


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.048s Queries: 23 (0.046s) Memory: 0.7675 MB (Peak: 0.7871 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-07 20:32:04 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS