This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
What are the best types of pebbles to use in a tray for increased humidity? Are there different types that work best with different pots (plastic pot/ tray vs. ceramic pot/tray)?

I am using red lava rock pieces, cause that bag LOOKED the most moist at the store, but don't know what's best.

If those are ok to use, maybe its cause it's been so stinking hot here for the last 2 weeks? I have been spraying my humidity-loving plants like crazy to keep them happy, and the rocks are still drying up (San Francisco....record setting month here so far).

thanks so much

A
A
All I can add is that the rocks drying up is a good thing as that meens the humididy is being transferd from the rocks to the air. Since they dry up fast if you keep them filled then their is a continuous flow of humidity around your plants which is a good thing. thumbup

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The type of pebbles does not really matter very much. Porous pebbles will absorb a bit more water, but not enough to make much difference.

If your pebble tray is drying out too frequently, then consider getting a larger or deeper tray that will hold more water.

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks so much!

I am new to this site, have read almost every 'Houseplants' thread since discovery (SD), and have learned a ton from you all. thanks again.
i am fairly new to gardening, and have been growing a few houseplants since 2000.

the plants i have now in trays of pebbles are;
-Guzmania minor (new gift)
-Alocasia 'Polly' (just put in tray of pebbles for spring)
-young cuttings of an all green Wandering Jew (not hanging)-loved the wandering jew/ spider plant threads, i learned alot about both!
-Croton (Codiaeum variegatum 'Mammi')
-Maidenshair Fern
-Anthurium scherzerianum- recently set in pebbles
-non-flowering Peace lily (don't know the variety- recently repotted, waited for new growth, and fed with all purpose plant food, 15-30-15)
-Chinese evergreen 'silver queen'
-Dracaena Rikki
-Dieffenbachia 'Camille'

can i actually pour water into the saucer of pebbles, and fill it just below the rock surface? or will this be too much water?
In addition, would a Dracaena Marginata benefit from the rocks (how about a Chlorophytum Fire Flash or a Persian Shield)?
Any of these I should NOT occasionally feed with the 15-30-15?

Jamie

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Wow Ferroworks, that's alot of plants!!

I'd like to Welcome you to The Garden Helpers Forum!!! Welcome aboard!!! Sounds like you've been doing alot of reading!!! That is such good
advice to all new gardeners, to read the posts, not only might it answer a question you have, but you'll learn a couple of tips also along the way!!!

Will is very knowledgeable!! thumbup

Thanks for joining us and don't be afraid to keep on posting!!! Jump right on in!!!
Weezie

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks, Weezie. Now I have to live up to my reputation. Yikes, pressure!!

Hi Jamie,

That is a very intersting collection of plants. The only one on your list that really requires pebble trays and high humidity is the maidenhair fern. The others will do just fine in low humidity, although using the pebble trays certainly does no harm.

Your peace lily may not bloom for a while now that you ahve repotted it. They need to be potbound before they will flower.

15-30-15 is a good fertilizer for flowering plants. Foliage plants do better with a 3-1-2 ratio. Be very careful not to overdo the fertilizer. Use it only with plants that have not been repotted for at least a year and are growing vigorously. Mix it at half the recommended strength.

The purpose of the pebbles in the pebble trays is to keep the bottom of the pot from sitting in water. So it is fine to use a deep tray that is filled close to the top of the pebbles.

F
OP Offline
F
a little follow-up to the pebble topic....interesting

This person suggests using lava rocks, as they have a larger surface area for increasing humidity for a Fire Flash.

University of Georgia Agricultural and Environmental Sciences

(just about half way down the page)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, anything that increases the amount of water that is is direct contact with the air will increase the evaporation rate and raise the humidity. Lava rock has a very porous, irregular surface; the opposite of marbles, for example. Increasing the length and width of the tray will also expose more water to the air.

F
OP Offline
F
nice!
thanks again Will!

i'm getting bigger trays soon!
and i love the look of using washed gravel, much more pleasant to look at in an indoor setting. any other suggestions?

what about those pesky gnats? (i used to think they were white flies.... what the heck are those?) They seem to be gathering in the trays and soils of the plastic pots, even though I am extremely paranoid of over-watering, and others that have any standing water.... pebbles help. It used to be that anytime the trays would be damp underneath the pot, i would awake to a new family of friends flying around. I have been sparringly using insecticide soap or a mixture of soapy water on the soil surface, and outside of pot, whenever i see a large party of gnats.

you mentioned in another post, Will, that they are just gnats, and they will die soon, but my roommate actually asked me to move them out of the living room (best sun!) and into my room cause they bothered him. I want the whole house to have plants, (I have 18 potted plants in my bedroom! I love it, but would love to share the wealth, not the gnats)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The adult flying gnats will live for a week or less. However, unless you treat the gnat larvae in the soil, new ones will constantly replace the older ones that die.

I believe my earlier post indicated how to treat the larvae in the soil (insecticdal soap won't do it). If I am mistaken, let me know and I will re-post the instructions.

Link Copied to Clipboard