This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19129 February 10th, 2004 at 08:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Member
Member
Joined: Mar 2003
Our local conservation district is offers a selection of tree and shrub seedlings at great prices this time of year. Two that caught my eye for my dampish yard are Blackhaw Viburnum (Virburnum prunifolium) and American Plum (Prunus americana). I am finding it a bit of a challenge finding info on the American Plum. Has anyone grown either of these and might spare some advice?

#19130 February 10th, 2004 at 08:45 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
Here's one!!! American Plum Fact Sheet

I love wild plums!! So good!!

Weezie

#19131 February 10th, 2004 at 08:51 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Member
Member
Joined: Mar 2003
Hey wow, Weez! They look nice. I was beginning to wonder if they were talking about Choke cherry (prunus viginiana), which is not nearly as pretty.

Do you preserve the plums?

#19132 February 10th, 2004 at 08:55 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
Preserve them right in my tummy!!
Just got one very old wild one on
my mom's property on the hill!!!

Weezie

#19133 February 10th, 2004 at 08:58 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
Here's another one with some pictures..

And find the one that says pruning instructions..

American Plum

Weezie

#19134 February 10th, 2004 at 09:04 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
Here\'s Bill\'s info on Fruit trees

He says the plums should be pruned right
after harvest!!!

Weezie

#19135 February 17th, 2004 at 12:55 AM
Joined: Mar 2003
Member
Member
Joined: Mar 2003
Oh Weezie, aren't they fabulous? I ordered a bundle of five for eight bucks. Now I wish I'd ordered more. But I understand that they spread.
Thank you!

#19136 February 17th, 2004 at 03:03 AM
Joined: Apr 2003
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
Hey, throw me up a plum or two when
they're ripe, will ya???
wink

Weezie


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.049s Queries: 29 (0.046s) Memory: 0.7828 MB (Peak: 0.8025 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-07 06:15:00 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS