This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21555 July 16th, 2004 at 02:55 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B
Joined: Jul 2004
I had some landscaping done last fall and part of the plan was for nine black eyed susan's. All nine came back up this spring but only five have flowered...the other four only have foliage. They're planted as a group and it's like the left half flowered and the right half didn't. Any ideas why?

#21556 July 16th, 2004 at 03:18 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2004
Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Are the one's that flowered getting more sun? Any difference in their soil or locations???? flw

It could be that the non-flowering ones just aren't old enough to flower yet and maybe they're waitin til next year.

#21557 July 16th, 2004 at 04:08 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
T
Member
Member
T
Joined: Oct 2003
Quote
Originally posted by BJGarden:
I had some landscaping done last fall and part of the plan was for nine black eyed susan's. All nine came back up this spring but only five have flowered...the other four only have foliage. They're planted as a group and it's like the left half flowered and the right half didn't. Any ideas why?
Are they planted too close together? Normally after a few years (3-4) they need to be thinned out because they crowd each other out. I just lift some randomly in my Susan beds and plant the removed one's in new spots.

Tom

#21558 July 16th, 2004 at 04:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wavey Tom, I have 1 Black-eyed Susan..we planted it a bit late but it is hanging in there and giving us pretty little flowers. grinnnn The greenery on it is a bit rough but the flowers are pretty. flw flw Laura

#21559 July 17th, 2004 at 12:06 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B
Joined: Jul 2004
Lilylilac - They were all planted together and if anything the ones flowering are getting a little, little less sun. I thought if planted in the fall they would flower the following year, or does it take longer...maybe I got plants from differnt batches!?!

#21560 July 17th, 2004 at 02:38 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
T
Member
Member
T
Joined: Oct 2003
Quote
Originally posted by Phil and Laura:
wavey Tom, I have 1 Black-eyed Susan..we planted it a bit late but it is hanging in there and giving us pretty little flowers. grinnnn The greenery on it is a bit rough but the flowers are pretty. flw flw Laura
Laura,
Keep it watered and next year that thing will multiply for you! You'll be swiming in them in 2-3 years! I originally got 3 plants about 7-8 years ago and now I have 6 different beds of them (each bed about 3-4 feet by 2-3 feet) all from the original 3 plants.

I bought and fell in love with Bee balm this year!

Tom

#21561 July 17th, 2004 at 03:25 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Member
Member
Joined: Aug 2003
I know exactly what the non-flowering feels like mad . Sun is a must because I have these beauties throughout my yard and the full sun is bursting but the shade areas are much further behind eek . Miracle-Gro puts out a bulb booster high octane powder teech .
Good Luck
BFVISION

#21562 July 17th, 2004 at 07:10 PM
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2003
hmm I have some in sun& shade and my shade ones actually bloomed 1st,but were transplanted here from my move and the others were some dug up out here same yr but planted a lil latter...like when was a blooming.They are a perenial,but as to could be a diffeent batch...that could be so...if planbted early sprng or fall will bloom same year but if wait later like mid spring will bloom following year....but yeah...they are a full sun plant,are just kinda leggy in shade(they actually got pulled out of pot with something else...and some blue spider wort....and I forgot to go plant them,and they grew there and just have not moved them but will likely leave them being have been sprinkling seeds in spot..when i noticed what I'd done...was busy doing another gardening chore....so tossed dirt on them& when did get to doing bed there,well they had dirt...I just laid down the broke concrete and added a firecracker plant and some ajuga......so see?we learn by accident sometimes shocked )


by the way...they are a lil strange...they have a bit of moss growing on black head,they didn't do that B4...anyone else ever seen that?I'm sure if someone walked by while ago would have thoght me nuts seeing me petting the green moss on top of flower...my dog even had her head turned sideways like"what she pets flowers too? shk .... nutz


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.059s Queries: 29 (0.055s) Memory: 0.7869 MB (Peak: 0.8066 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-04 05:51:02 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS