This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21842 November 22nd, 2004 at 01:36 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
A
Member
Member
A
Joined: Nov 2004
My mom has a beautiful Peace lily that she's had for about 2 months now (its a recent addition from Grandma). And its been a beautiful plant. During the past week, the tips of his leaves started to turn brown, and they look like they're burnt. I thought that maybe it was getting some direct sunlight, and the leaves didn't like it, but the leaf problem is on almost every leaf, even the ones that are up against the wall. The burnt spots seem to be slowly growing from the tips of the leaves inward. Before I do anything, I wanted to check with you guys.

Just some background on him for you guys: I water him when the leaves start to droop a lil bit (about once every two weeks). And according to my mom, it never gets direct sunlight. Please help save him!

#21843 November 22nd, 2004 at 01:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sounds like a humidity problem. try setting the pot on some rocks/pebbles in a tray of water. but note the following points.

1 - do not let the pot sit in the water, but rather over it.

2 - the leaves that are dying will die anyway now. your best bet is to cut off the ones that are the worst. new ones will grow in to replace them, they just won't be as large to start with (they get bigger with age)

3 - when you water it, make sure that the pot is draining well.

good luck and enjoy your peace lily, they are one of my favorite plants!

#21844 November 22nd, 2004 at 02:35 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
A
Member
Member
A
Joined: Nov 2004
OK, I know that I'm not over-watering it, and the pot does drain properly. So I assume its a humidity problem. The heat is on beacuse winter is approaching so that might be doing it. It is nowhere near a vent, so that's good.

I cannot set up a little rock thingy because my dog will end up drinking the water from it. Would misting it be a good alternative? If so, how often?

#21845 November 22nd, 2004 at 03:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the dog drinking the water isn't going to hurt the dog or the plant. misting the air around the plant (don't mist the plant directly) gives it a brief raise in the humidity, but won't keep it up. perhaps you can put the plant on a stand with the tray under it.

#21846 November 22nd, 2004 at 04:14 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
A
Member
Member
A
Joined: Nov 2004
I ended up putting the whole apparatus on a stand. The water "bath" extends about an inch around the circumference of the planter. Hopefully this will help my Peace lily. Thank you very much for your help!


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.042s Queries: 23 (0.039s) Memory: 0.7634 MB (Peak: 0.7831 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-05 23:57:56 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS