This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22419 January 26th, 2004 at 11:58 PM
Member
Member
Joined: Aug 2003
So last summer I purchased a dwarf Bearas lime tree in a 15 gallon container. I planted it in a sunny spot and gave it lots of teech I know you do a lot of trees. What do you think?

#22420 January 27th, 2004 at 12:57 AM
Joined: Apr 2003
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
Hi Kristen,
I don't grow any citrus, but my first thought is
was wait for Papito!!! Definately!!

The second was, sometimes, I get oranges in the mail, and there's an extra note with them that says, don't be alarmed at my color, something about the temp or sun or something they got or didn't get, I read it fast and tossed it, cause I know every year they're good... but that might be something with their color too, the temp or sun...

Did you try one yet???

Weezie

#22421 January 27th, 2004 at 05:03 PM
P
Member
Member
P
Joined: Jul 2003
Gardengal,

How to tell if you have lime or lemon? Simply cut the fruits in half. 1. Bearss lime are seedless, lemons have seeds. 2. Limes have more wedges (about 7 to 10 wedges)lemons will have 1 or 2 wedges less than lime.

If you leave the lime on the tree past maturity, the green (skin) will turn yellow.

Other info from an Ortho book "All About Citrus & Subtropical Fruits":

When all the growing conditions are favorable, the size, shape and juice content of the lime or lemon (and other citruses)depends on the climate.

In hot-humid climate, the fruits (size) are usually largest, becoming progressively smaller in hot-arid and cool-arid climates.

The fruits (shape) tends to be longer in relation to width in hotter climate and flatter in cooler climate.

The citrus becomes juiciest when grown in hot-humid climate and less juicy in hot-arid or cool-humid climates.

This weekend, we picked Chandler pummelos, Oro Blanco grapefruits, Dancy mandarin oranges, Eureka & improved Myer lemons, Bearss limes and Calamondin.

#22422 January 27th, 2004 at 05:16 PM
Member
Member
Joined: Aug 2003
Thanks Papito! I knew you would know. kissies

#22423 January 28th, 2004 at 05:12 PM
Member
Member
Joined: Aug 2003
It's a lime! They are really juicy and good too, just yellow. Thanks for your help!! thumbup

#22424 January 28th, 2004 at 05:19 PM
P
Member
Member
P
Joined: Jul 2003
Gardengal,

I forgot to tell you that there is another way to tell if the fruit is lime. When cut, the flesh is green or greenish even if the skin is yellow. Lemons will have yellow colored flesh.

As for picking time, that really depends on what you want to use the lime fruits for. The green or yellow shaved skin could be used in recipes for either baking or cooking . The juice could be used for making "limeade", or fish/poultry/meat marinade, or cut in wedges for cooked seafood.

From experience, if the citrus falls easily when tugged, they are either mature or ripe. If I tug and it held, then I leave it and wait a little bit.

You are right about the swirl color of blood orange. We have the "Moro" variety (swirl of red/yellow/orange), the deep red juice is very sour.

#22425 January 29th, 2004 at 09:44 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
F
Member
Member
F
Joined: Jan 2003
Hey, have u ever skinned a fish and then had to deal with that stinky smell afterwards?

Take a lime and squeeze the juice out and rub it all over your hands. It removes the smell!
I tried it last week. A Vietnamese family, who grew limes in an orchard, showed me. I was helping them prepare some fish for dinner and got that smell all over my hands. It really worked! Couldn't believe it! thumbup

#22426 January 29th, 2004 at 04:34 PM
P
Member
Member
P
Joined: Jul 2003
Bob,

Thanks for tip on lemon juice. If you are out of lime or lemon, just squeeze toothpaste and rub them all over your hands for a minute or so, then rinse (the hands) with water.

#22427 January 29th, 2004 at 05:39 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Member
Member
Joined: Nov 2003
....and...if you're out of limes, lemons AND toothpaste...
Rub your wet hands all over the bottom of a stainless-steel mixing bowl. It works!


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.046s Queries: 31 (0.043s) Memory: 0.7881 MB (Peak: 0.8078 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-09-29 11:26:55 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS