This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23628 April 11th, 2004 at 01:32 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2004
I went to the Home Depot today and in the indoor plant section I found this beautiful plant called a Croton. I have it facing an east with light from a north window. I am not sure if this will be adequate lighting. There is light coming from the window, but it's not direct sun.

Am I going to have a problem? Are there any special growing tips that I need to be aware of?

Thxs.. wink

#23629 April 11th, 2004 at 03:58 AM
Joined: Apr 2003
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
Minny,
I don't know much about those plants,
BUT AREN'T THEY GORGEOUS?!?!?!!?!?!

So much color or bang for you buck!!!

Weezie

#23630 April 11th, 2004 at 09:58 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
F
Member
Member
F
Joined: Mar 2004
I've got a Croton "Mammi" that I got about 6 months ago and it is doing wonderful! the new leaves are bigger than the original big guys, and I have been giving it as much sun as possible, 6 hours of direct sun and 3 to 4 of inderect bright sun (I have a south/east facing bay window).

From what I have read, the more sun, the more color, and NEVER let it dry out. The first three months proved that...
I gave it tons of sun, but let it dry out between waterings. I thought it was getting over-suned, and that was why the new leaves were falling off. So I moved it to a less direct sun location, learned I shouldn't let it dry out, and began proper watering. Then all the yellow/red leaves starting turning green. When I moved it back into full sun, placed it in a try of small pebbles, almost full with water, and always kept it moist, it starting some healthy growin'......

good luck! Please let me know what you find out.
One of my stems is growing MUCH better than the other, and I can't seem to figure out why.

be careful of spider mites, I spray the undersides each morning! is your's the same as mine, with twisting leaves?

#23631 April 11th, 2004 at 02:05 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2004
I purchased a small croton from Walmart about 3 months ago. It was pretty sickly looking when I bought it, got it on the 50 cent rack (our wally world takes all the plants from last season & anything dead or dying & sells it off this rack). I am always trying to rescue & nurse back to health plants off this rack. The croton only had 3 leaves, but they were the most brilliant colors I have ever seen on folaige outside of my perillas & coleus. I brought it home & took good care of it for 3 days, then woke up to find its leaves had all dropped. I still have an empty stem sitting under my grow light, hoping it will regrow. So far it has been close to 3 months & I have nothing but an empty stem:( I have a pretty good green thumb, but I am at a loss as to what I can do for this plant. It makes me so sad because I haven't seen another one at the stores around here anywhere. I hope you have better luck than I did. Chrissy

#23632 April 12th, 2004 at 04:40 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
F
Member
Member
F
Joined: Mar 2004
what type of Croton do you have?

Is it like this Croton "Mammi"?

#23633 April 12th, 2004 at 05:25 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2004
It only said croton plant on the plant label from wally world, but it looked just like this variety: http://www.evergrowing.com/tips/croton.htm

#23634 April 17th, 2004 at 09:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ferroworks has all the information you need - maximum direct sun, keep the soil moist, watch for spider mites.

Grow lights will not produce enough light for a Croton.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.071s Queries: 27 (0.066s) Memory: 0.7762 MB (Peak: 0.7958 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-11 23:19:43 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS