This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23765 May 8th, 2004 at 07:44 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2004
A couple of days ago I got a new plant (peppermint) and have had it on the back porch of my dorm so that it can get sun. Well, the weather has been great and my aloe vera and jade haven't been getting enough sun so I moved them back there as well. Today on my way out the door to lunch I noticed that there were little red things on my aloe plant. there wewe severl of them hanging from what looked like a small spider web. I looked online and the only thing I found that sounds appropriate is red spider mites. Is this what I have? And if so, what do I do about them?

Thanks,
applescruff

#23766 May 9th, 2004 at 01:14 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2004
I forgot to mention the reason I'm not sure whether I have spider mites or not. Everything I read about them says that they are very small and hard to see but these can be easily spotted on plant leaves.

Also, I thoroughly looked over every one of my plants and took off any that I could see. Then I sprayed my plants with a solution of diluted biodegradable soap. (I read somewhere that this helps to cut down on mite and insect populations.)

Help please!

applescruff

#23767 May 10th, 2004 at 12:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When you move plants to the great outdoors, then you expose them to lots of insect pests that they would never see indoors. There is no way to control that, as you can indoors. Chances are these insects are not damaging your plants. If they are, then you will have to keep spraying them with soap. Better yet, move them back inside where they are protected from strange insects, too much sun, drenching rain, and high winds.

#23768 May 15th, 2004 at 05:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Applescruff, you aren't the only one with those little red bugs......Every spring they come out here in full force and you can see them everywhere outside.....they are really bad here right now, I don't know technically what they are but I started a post on them last year. Kathie was right they normally disappear totally after a while.

little red bugs

#23769 May 15th, 2004 at 04:03 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2004
Will nad Loz,

Thanks for the info! After I sprayed my with the biodegradable soap the bugs stayed well away from my plants. (If you have a problem with these bugs I'd suggest doing the same.) I took a closer look and it appears that they are coming out of the brickwork; I have seen them crawling on or near brick buildings all across campus. I still have no idea what they are but I am dubbin them "Brick bugs" since that seems to be their prefered living area.

*smile*
applescruff


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.042s Queries: 23 (0.039s) Memory: 0.7649 MB (Peak: 0.7846 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-06 02:30:12 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS