This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24288 July 29th, 2004 at 09:46 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
A
Member
Member
A
Joined: Jul 2004
I have three asiatic lillies in a flower box in the front of my house. It gets sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon. The petals have fallen of aprox. 1 month ago and are yet to be replenished. The leaves seem to be healthy and the stem is strong. There are buds at the ends of it but the are not showing any signs of blooming anytime soon.
Is ther something that I can do to get them to cooperate?

#24289 July 29th, 2004 at 10:16 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
A
Member
Member
A
Joined: Aug 2002
I'm a little confused by your post. You said the petals had fallen off, but then you say it hasn't bloomed? Asiatic lilies usually bloom in late spring/early summer so I'm surprised they haven't bloomed yet. If they have bloomed already and the petals have fallen off, they will not rebloom. What's left is a hard seed pod that may look like a disformed bud.

#24290 July 30th, 2004 at 02:41 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
A
Member
Member
A
Joined: Jul 2004
Thank you for your reply "Alankhart"!
That is exactly what I wanted to know. They already bloomed but someone (the purolator guy actually) told me that they will rebloom after the petals have fallen off.
I have the lillies in a flower box right now but they're perrenials right?
Does anyone suggest that I transfer them into the ground at this point?

#24291 July 30th, 2004 at 06:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your lilies are perennials and will only flower once this year. After blooming, when the petals drop the lilies are not looking too attractive but leave the stalks alone! The plant uses this is food energy to create next year's flowers. You might want to consider adding something else to your planter to camoflauge the lilies as they slowly die down. Although I'm not certain, I believe it might be better to wait until the lilies die down before transplanting...perhaps someone could confirm or deny this. Good luck!

#24292 July 31st, 2004 at 07:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
A
Member
Member
A
Joined: Aug 2002
It would be best to wait until fall to transplant your lilies to the ground. You'll want to plant them about 6-8" down for best protection from freezing.

#24293 August 2nd, 2004 at 04:00 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
A
Member
Member
A
Joined: Jul 2004
Thanks for the great info! Last night I was wondering if I could keep them in the boxes where they are and bring them into the basement or shed then bring them back out around springtime next year.
I also have a hosta in a square box that I would like to do the same thing with.

Any advice??

#24294 August 4th, 2004 at 07:41 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
AprilFlowers,
I personally don't bring them in and out,
they are super hardy plants.
*what zone are you in?*
I'm a 5 here!

I over winter several plants in pots...
I do however put leaf mould *chopped up leaves
from the lawn mower swept up in my lawn sweeper*
and pack it in between the pots...
I do sprinkle a little on top, but not much.
As this covers them up but leaves them wet...
might be for too long if you just leave them.

I have another gardener gentlemen friend that I visit and he just leaves his pots on top of a plastic covering for lumber with some mulch on top of that and places the pots on top of that.

The best I can say, is experiment...
Hosta's I believe need a dormancy period, so they have to be hit by the frost and all the leaves will turn to mush and they have to go to sleep.
*same for the lilies*
If you feel the cold may be too much, maybe leave them in the container, and leave them outside, but leave them at the base of your house, by a south wall or something, so they are exposed to the winter eliments, but is still protected somewhat by the house.

Weezie

#24295 August 4th, 2004 at 11:56 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
A
Member
Member
A
Joined: Jul 2004
Thanks Weezie!
So they do need to be outside...this is good to know. The reason that I want to bring them inside is because I made my own flower boxes (I will try to find a way to post pics soon) they are made of wood and stained but I don't wat them to get ruined in the winter from weathering. Maybe I'll have to find a way to cover them up some how...or else transplant my hosta and lillies into separate planters.
I live in Ottawa, Ontario. It get's very extreme temperatures so the winters are very cold. What do you mean that you are in zone 5? I'm not too sure which zone I'm in but I'll try to find out.

#24296 August 5th, 2004 at 12:28 AM
Joined: Apr 2003
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Joined: Apr 2003
Here you go AprilFlowers

TGH\'s Gardening and USDA Plant Hardiness Zones

Weezie

#24297 August 5th, 2004 at 05:27 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
A
Member
Member
A
Joined: Jul 2004
Thanks Weezie!
You learn something new everyday!
My zone here in Ottawa is 5a.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.056s Queries: 33 (0.051s) Memory: 0.7933 MB (Peak: 0.8129 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-05 02:10:59 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS