This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24570 April 19th, 2004 at 01:14 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2004
I bought my peace lily a month ago and transplanted right away. It had some shoots on it you know the white leaves..Well they all turned green! The rest of the plant is was doing nicely it just wasn’t getting enough sun. So I put the plant in a sunny room, but I got a little cocky and transplanted it into a large pot thinking that it was going to grow like crazy in its new spot.
Well this was Wednesday and by today (Sunday) all the leaves are curling in and he is looking quite sad.
Any suggestions? I don’t know what I was thinking repotting it twice in the same month. Duh

#24571 April 19th, 2004 at 02:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is almost never a good idea to repot a new plant - even once. I suggest that you remove all of the soil that you added and put your peace lily back into its original pot.

You mentioned moving it to a "sunny room." Peace lilies must be protected from direct sunlight at all times.

#24572 April 19th, 2004 at 02:19 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2004
AAaaa...I really screwed up! ters

I can't put it back in the other pot..I bought a Croton and put in there.

The room gets sunlight, but my plant isn't getting direct sun.

I will wait to see what happens…
sca

#24573 April 19th, 2004 at 04:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote
Originally posted by minnycourt:
AAaaa...I really screwed up! ters

I can't put it back in the other pot..I bought a Croton and put in there.

The room gets sunlight, but my plant isn't getting direct sun.

I will wait to see what happens…
sca
ok, all is not lost. first of all, don't wait. check the pot to see if the soil is soggy. if it is, remove the plant from the pot, dump out the soil that is soggy from the pot, and then place new (dry) soil and the plant back in the pot. while you are doing this, check the roots to see if they are white or if they are mushy. if they are mushy, trim the mush back to white firm roots.

then, until your plant grows into it's pot, when you water it, only use half the amount you would normally, water close to the root ball (about an inch - or less - from the outside edge of the stems) and don't worry if you are not getting all the soil wet. infact, you don't want to get all the soil wet. if it starts to droop again in a couple of days, check the soil next to the root ball. if it is dry, then water again in the same manner. you will be watering more frequently, but less water at one time. MUCH less water at one time. your plant will grow into its new home this way. and, it won't hurt it to be sad when it needs water if you don't let it go more than a couple of days. its getting sad will actually help it to develope more roots (it will be stretching them, looking for water) so that it will grow into the pot quicker.

also, the white flower turning green is normal as they age. my 13 year old peace lily does that as the blooms get older.

#24574 April 23rd, 2004 at 06:44 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2004
Thank you for all the great advice.

I checked the soil it was very wet, so I will repot it today!

I will let you know...


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.047s Queries: 23 (0.043s) Memory: 0.7650 MB (Peak: 0.7847 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-06 09:51:24 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS