We just moved into our new home not too long ago, and before we moved in, someone was kind enough to put a cob of corn out for the squirrels. Well some of the kernels managed to grow into stalks of corn. I figured since Mother Nature was kind enough to
seed them, then I would let them grow, even though they are in my
flower beds.
Well, yesterday I was weeding my
flower beds and noticed that the husk on one of the stalks was pushed open. I figured a squirrel or something had gotten in it. I walked around to the front of the stalk, and noticed something really wrong with the ear of corn.
It looked like cucoons or something to that affect. I put on gloves, I don't normally wear them I like the feel of the dirt, and grabbed the camera. I got pics of it while still of the stalk, and pics after I removed it from the stalk.
It looks like the kernels are badly formed and there is black stuff inside of the "kernels"
What happened to my corn? Is this a bad
plant all together, or a bug? I just threw the ear into the trash, didn't want to risk contaminating my compost heap or anything.
I set up a page on my web site for pics of my corn problem
Corn problems Thanks
Shirley