This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25867 February 20th, 2004 at 11:58 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
E
Member
Member
E
Joined: Jun 2003
Hi, could anyone tell me how to care for a (lucky bamboo ) plant? my sister just gave me one and theres not any info on it. I've seen them in large vases at a japanese place but need help? Thanks

#25868 February 21st, 2004 at 01:26 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
S
Member
Member
S
Joined: Feb 2004
I've had one for about 3 months now and haven't killed it yet. I have it in a clear glass container to watch the water level closely. It likes lots. About an inch or so, covering it's roots. I have it in a North facing window, so I think it enjoys indirect light. Other than that I'm not sure. Good Luck!

#25869 February 21st, 2004 at 04:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Member
Member
Joined: Aug 2003
I have had mine for about a year and a half. When I lived in my old house I thought that it didn't like a lot of light. Where I kept it was fine but it didn't grow at all. I water it every couple of days. Since we moved over the summer, I have had mine in a window with indirect light. This thing has since grown like a weed. It has grown about 6" taller since August. It definitely seems to like the indirect light and plenty of water. I still have it in the little ceramic pot it came in with just rocks. After a day or so if I don't see the water near the top of the rocks, I add more. Good luck!!

#25870 February 21st, 2004 at 05:46 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2004
I got one for my birthday too. It likes indirect light, lots of water, and potting soil. (They will stay alive in water but mine didn't start growing much till I potted it.) Also, they're fairly picky about their water. They don't like a lot of chemicals (like floride, chlorine, etc.) so if you have a water filter I'd suggest using it.

#25871 February 22nd, 2004 at 03:12 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
B
Member
Member
B
Joined: Feb 2004
Lucky bamboo seems hardy. I have about twelve stalks of varied sizes. Just water well and never let it run dry which was what killed about two of mine. Some people have a hard time using tap water but it works fine for me. Keep out of direct sunlight. Mine get hardly any and are healthy. If you have more than one stalk do not overcrowd them. I've lost numerous stalks from that. One other thing once the stalk is mostly yellow or brown it's a goner. You may be able to save the leaves by breaking them off and putting them in water as I have done to the leaves of the stalks I lost due to overcrowding.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.064s Queries: 23 (0.061s) Memory: 0.7677 MB (Peak: 0.7874 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-10 07:18:57 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS