This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25980 May 22nd, 2004 at 06:48 PM
Joined: May 2004
M
Member
Member
M
Joined: May 2004
Here is a good one for you all; four years ago I planted to bleeding heart bushes. They have come up every year except this year. This year one came up just a bit, then dissappeared, back into the ground. Any idea's? This could have something to do with why my Butterfly bush is yellowing, I think.

Miki

#25981 May 23rd, 2004 at 01:10 AM
Joined: May 2004
S
Member
Member
S
Joined: May 2004
did your bleeding hearts bloom any? sometimes in warm climates or if soil is dry, plants will go dormant after bloom. if your soil is dry top dress it with well rotted manure to maintain soil fertility.
or have you ever divided it? plants could loose vigor if overcrowed. lift in fall or as they go dormant, divide clumps and replant in soil that has been enriched with organic matter.
bleeding hearts are not known for any serious pests or diseases.
wink i just got my bleeding hearts this year so im still learning about them, hope this helps some. i also just got butterfly bushes this spring ,i dont know anything about...yet! only once did the leaves turn, & that was due to frost. good luck
wink sibyl

#25982 May 23rd, 2004 at 01:09 PM
Joined: May 2004
M
Member
Member
M
Joined: May 2004
The bleeding hearts are in a bed that has both manure (sp), a mix of top soil and potting soil and are mulched. I pull back the mulch before they are due to come up every year. This year I pulled back the mulch, and only one of the two came up at all and that one only got about 2 inches tall before dying off again, so no flowers.

My butterfly bush also had yellowed. I just put it out this year and thinking back we did have one light frost after I put it out so that could be why the lower leaves are yellowing.

Miki

#25983 May 23rd, 2004 at 02:00 PM
Joined: May 2004
S
Member
Member
S
Joined: May 2004
How old is the manure your using? Almost sounds like it's to fresh and your plants are being burned. Bleeding hearts don't require much in the way of fertilizer, they will grow almost anywhere.

#25984 May 23rd, 2004 at 03:29 PM
Joined: May 2004
M
Member
Member
M
Joined: May 2004
well the manure is store bought, but only a little bit of it, and it is mixed into the soils that I mixed. I haven't put any new on in years, so this is at least decomposed some to all by now I would hasten to guess. I mulch to help keep down the weeds, and keep the moisture in, as the year I put them out, we were in a drought. They actually did best that first year, when the only water they got was what I gave them. Last two years we have been water logged. We are in flood watches and warnings every time it rains have been for 18 months or so now.

Miki


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.055s Queries: 23 (0.052s) Memory: 0.7682 MB (Peak: 0.7878 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-09-29 12:47:41 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS