This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5357 April 11th, 2005 at 09:24 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Nov 2004
HI wavey all heres a link for canning food from your gardens.i saw another post requesting a forum on it so thought i would share a couple of links with evryone.hope you all enjoy.
http://www.canning-food-recipes.com/
wink
http://web1.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/master01.html
your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

#5358 April 11th, 2005 at 05:32 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Joined: Mar 2005
Thank you for the links Mike,

If you happen to run upon a green bean canning recipe that includes bacon or fat back as well as dill could you let me know. I recieved some one year from one of my ex-husbands co-workers wifes but they moved shortly there after and I could never get the recipe. I'd be afraid to add meat to anything canned as an experiment so I am hoping someday to run into someone who knows how that flavor was added to the green beans. There was no actual bacon or meat in the jars we recieved and there didn't appear to be any grease in the jars either. But i would have sworn that the beans had been cooked in bacon fat.

#5359 April 11th, 2005 at 10:45 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2004
Its very possible that the beans were cooked with bacon. That is how my family has always made them. Where the beans dead, or kind of crunchy? My family kills the beans when they cook them and we like it that way, but you can never find them like that up here in PA. Stephen doesn't like them dead either...he likes them still kickin'. laugh

#5360 April 12th, 2005 at 07:05 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Nov 2004
I have to ask, Jenn. How do you kill beans? laugh Are you a vegetable murderer? laugh

Dianna

#5361 April 12th, 2005 at 07:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Feb 2004
Oh! laugh We cook them until they are pretty soft. Stephen calls them mush. laugh Up here in Pa, people like them kind of crunchy. nutz

#5362 April 12th, 2005 at 08:51 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Nov 2004
Ok! Gotcha! I like dead beans, too, with a lot of "pot liquor". laugh If they aren't cooked long enough, they taste like boiled peanuts to me! I love boiled peanuts, but not over my rice. As a matter of fact, I am killing some pintos now for supper! laugh

Dianna

#5363 April 13th, 2005 at 06:05 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Joined: Apr 2004
TK..I think you would be fine to can the green beans using bacon as the seasoning. My grandmother alway canned meat. She would make stew and can it and would boil chicken and can them for chicken & dumplings or other chicken recipes. She did that to save her freezer space and because she did not drive so couldn't just run to the store and grab a chicken...(although she could run to the back yard and grab one) laugh

#5364 April 26th, 2005 at 12:38 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Member
Member
Joined: Mar 2004
dead beans laugh laugh laugh that is so funny.

I like mine both ways.I cook 'em with bacon and onion 'til they're dead.

I also eat 'em in my garden.

Hey Mike,very good info on those sites.

Thanks very much.

#5365 May 2nd, 2005 at 05:24 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
B
Member
Member
B
Joined: Mar 2005
Thanks for the sites, Mike. I'm in upstate S.C. and no vegetable is safe on our farm. Everything gets killed. Green beans. Any kind of bean. Squash. Zucchini. If it isn't killed by being cooked to death, it's fried. The maddest my Momma has ever been at me was last summer when I had eaten every fried thing I could stand. We were having lunch, and all I said was 'please don't fry my cantaloupe.' Everything else was fried, after all.

Note to self: never criticize Momma's cooking. She went on strike and didn't cook for 2 weeks.

Belle

#5366 July 21st, 2005 at 07:51 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
L
Member
Member
L
Joined: Jul 2005
Can bacon be safely added to green beans when canning them?

Bacon, which is very high in fat, should not be added to vegetables or tomato vegetable mixtures that are to be canned. Fat can protect Clostridium boutlinum spores that produce botulism toxin so that the usual processing times will be too short to kill them.

If you wanted a dill pickle bean recipe, I can post it for you. They are crispy, and tart.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0
(Release build 20240826)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.4.33 Page Time: 0.070s Queries: 33 (0.064s) Memory: 0.7941 MB (Peak: 0.8137 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-08 19:59:14 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS